Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
does anyone know off hand if TLD sells D3s unpainted ??? Wish I wouldn't have sold my beat ass D2, the Giro Remedy is starting to piss me off.

Point of the question is because I don't want to have to sand off the decals.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
does anyone know off hand if TLD sells D3s unpainted ??? Wish I wouldn't have sold my beat ass D2, the Giro Remedy is starting to piss me off.

Point of the question is because I don't want to have to sand off the decals.
give TLD a call. I had lunch with a bunch of them yesterday and the carbon D3s with a little pinstriping won't be in until sept or so. that's direct from the guy who designed it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
give TLD a call. I had lunch with a bunch of them yesterday and the carbon D3s with a little pinstriping won't be in until sept or so. that's direct from the guy who designed it.
Basecoat white D2's are the only ones you can get unpainted currently right? Or do they do the moto helmets in base white for painters too?

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
My visor didnt match because i broke the original one and I didn't really like the purple on the top of the helmet anymore but I wanted to keep some of the original. The paintjob on the visor didnt go so well but i might fix that later. Couple more coats of Krylon clear cote to go. haha

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Make that base white NASCAR pit crew D2's... with the sawed off jawpiece for better visabilty during pitstops.

TLD doesn't supply 'white helmets' for the painters with loose helmet trimmings.

@ Kevin.: Age ain't nuthin' but a numba' G.!

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Mccdh:

How did you strip the old lacquer without damaging the carbon? I have a carbon lid I really wanna raw.
wetsanding with 800-1200-2000 grit paper. the stuff that is made for clear coat sanding. started out slow and made sure not to go too deep anywhere. When you wipe it dry between sanding you can see the layers of clear coat and where its higher and lower, sort of like a topography map. it was the first time i have ever done this and i only read a bit about it on a previous page of this thread.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
wetsanding with 800-1200-2000 grit paper. the stuff that is made for clear coat sanding. started out slow and made sure not to go too deep anywhere. When you wipe it dry between sanding you can see the layers of clear coat and where its higher and lower, sort of like a topography map. it was the first time i have ever done this and i only read a bit about it on a previous page of this thread.
You can hit it with 400-600 and it will still be fine, just work back to at least 800 and clear it. it will still be very shiny when clearing it after 800. if you are going to wetsand and buff it then ya stay high.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
It's for a female BMX Race rider... member of a Dutch 'factory team' which is sponsored by MONSTER energy and DC shoes.

Unlike others just slapping on stickers ie. Pro-rider wannabees. ;)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I dont understand how everyones allways bitching about the Monster stickers, (some sarcastic ones aside).
How is it any different then slamming on a SRAM or Fox sticker? Everyone and their mom seems to have at least a SRAM sticker on their bike.
I personally think the Monster logo looks pretty cool, and I love to drink it as well.

Is this one of those things that you hate on something popular to make you super punkrock to other internet warriors?
Cause Ill jump that bandwagon to differentiate myself from the crowd asap...

Oh and Ralph, I know you did an "illegal" RedBull helmet for someone a while back, did you tell him hes a pro rider wannabee too? ;)

Last edited:

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Oh and Ralph, I know you did an "illegal" RedBull helmet for someone a while back, did you tell him hes a pro rider wannabee too? ;)
Err. that was on a old Edge TL Comp., the grandpops of the Daytona (Daytona 2 /D2).

And it was for me, myself and i. Read demo hilmit.
Without the Red Bull text logo btw.

Illegal? I rather call it artistic freedom! :D
Go suck on my lil' one... :rolleyes:

I have no problem with stickers, because that's what they are made for... stick it on whatever you like.

Laquered over stickers (or printed waterslides) might be the new trend, since riders don't want to pay top money for a true custom paintjob.

Print - Paste - Laquer