Quantcast

DH World Cup #1 - Maribor, Slovenia. LIVE THREAD

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I cant seem to get anything to play on freecaster.. the loading logo just keeps on spinning (same with the live events)

Right now it means i can't buy my code to watch the DH, or even watch the 4x.. or watch anything on freecaster which sucks

Anyone else having this problem?

Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
Those going on about Kovarik - some of you probably don't know that he also cleaned up at the British National at Fort William a few days ago. Matti/Dan/Gee/Beaumont etc were in attendence, so a fairly solid win despite not being a world cup. Track was dry, but still seems worth mentioning, the guy's on form at the moment!

http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/race107/2010-may-9-bds-2-fort-william/
I think they must be saving up for the world cup no? :think:

I go see world cup on Eurosport2 :thumb:

cheers

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Proper....

and I just spent a whopping $1.99 USD to get the live feed/replay access. I bet people still complain though... to bad for them, It's gonna be rad
$1.99. It should now be CheapCaster.com. Can't wait to watch this Maribor race, hopefully the live feed is up to par. Going miss Rob Warner.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So it's been pouring on and off all day. Pics of the pivot shot and will be posted soon. There is another certain fancy pants DH bike that will be debuted tomorrow AM. No close up shots allowed, so it will be a mad rush to get the photos onto the internet in the afternoon.

4x practice wasn't cancelled, but barely anyone even showed up as it's a swampy, sloppy mess right now.

Photos coming shortly.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So it's been pouring on and off all day. Pics of the pivot shot and will be posted soon. There is another certain fancy pants DH bike that will be debuted tomorrow AM. No close up shots allowed, so it will be a mad rush to get the photos onto the internet in the afternoon.

4x practice wasn't cancelled, but barely anyone even showed up as it's a swampy, sloppy mess right now.

Photos coming shortly.
sweet, looking fwd to the Pivot pics..

new fancy bike? I'm betting on a carbon Demo 8.

looking forward to this weekend! Bromont, and some WC action... :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I will pay... we will see if the feed holds.

Unfortunately if the feed is as hit and miss as years past, this could sink freecaster. I would really miss live video coverage. Like really really.
we might need to have us a little WC kick off party at your house this weekend. just sayin'...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i would say that trek most likely wont be making a carbon bike, and if they do it would be an improvement of strength over the current frame, not weight.

just my 0.02

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i would say that trek most likely wont be making a carbon bike, and if they do it would be an improvement of strength over the current frame, not weight.

just my 0.02
I'd say the opposite, simply because of the amount of experience they have with carbon, mostly on the road side obviously, but still... I'm actually kinda surprised they weren't first out of the gate on carbon mountain bikes...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'd say the opposite, simply because of the amount of experience they have with carbon, mostly on the road side obviously, but still... I'm actually kinda surprised they weren't first out of the gate on carbon mountain bikes...
I think they were.. the first DH race I ever went to back in 1996 was dominated by Trek Y-frames, which I'm sure were carbon, or the high-end one was at least?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yep. i'd be surprised if we don't see a carbon dh chassis from trek within a year. i think they've taken aluminum about as far as they can go (ie, coke can frames); carbon is the next step forward.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

just my 0.02
given how much trek has invested in carbon (see all the road and xc frames in their lineup that are carbon) I think it could go either way. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least TRY it.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Looks like carbon, air and 34 lbs is in WC racer's future...if not on one allready.

14 years ago i beat the hell out of a carbon Y bike, at a shop i worked at we sold 70 of em in the first season alone and i only ever saw 1 broken. The idea of making a large front structure that can be thick, and not spindly makes total sense. look at the DHi and the new V 10. Skinny tubed rear ends of XC bikes aren't holding up so well though.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the reason i say nay is because of the point that someone else has brought up, their alu frames are already coke can thickness. carbon isn't a magical material that is better in all applications and cases.

even with the best aerospace grade carbon fibres, resins and manufacturing techniques, carbon fibre is not significantly better in quasi isotropic form than high performance alu. of course with tailored CFRP the properties are far better, but very rarely being able to be used in real world applications.

but once you take into account it has to take impacts, which at the wall thickness's that are used on the session 88, CRFP will have to be much thicker (and hence heavier) than its alu counterpart. taking into account that CFRP has a specific density of between 1-2 and alu 2.7, not significantly lighter than alu. further more, thin walled alu will dent, CFRP wont.

that's why i e-speculate that IF they made a carbon version, it wont be for weight, but more for strength. also well designed carbon frame will have a far better fatigue life than alu.

using the v10 as a rough guide, alu frame was mid 10lbs? carbon frame including air shock dropped 900 grams, so say about 500 grams/1.2lbs came from the carbon frame. that drops the weight to low 9lbs, trek frames already are around that mark if not a bit lower. not much room for improvement there.

not saying its impossible or wont be done, just saying the odds are very much against them. trying to make something that is lighter, whilst maintaining/improving durability and keeping cost reasonable it a very tall order.

that's my e-speculating quota for the month done. :)

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
A 9lb DH frame that is really durable sounds good to me! I know it will cost more though.

I ride one of those light alu Giants, i bet we see 9lb DH frames pretty beat up right about the time people start accepting carbon, in about 1-2 more seasons.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
4x track is a bog, Dh track is a rooty grease fest, Needles has been to the dentist, Peaty is petting slugs, the Athertons are figuring out how to turn a corner and Gracia loves 29ers.... thats the mental notes taken from the above vital link