Quantcast

Hawksnest 2010

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
also about saturday practice. since I think you said up top the lifts weren't running? is there going to be a shuttle for saturday or is it going to be kind of up to your self to shuttle to the top?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Beech #1 is cancelled from what I have been told. Shuttle will be provided on practice day. It will likely be a uhaul again.

Last edited:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Beech cancelled? Well that sucks, I was hoping the SE was starting to produce some decent grassroots races. I'm starting to wonder if that we'll ever get to the point where we could actually have a SE race series.

Hey Mulestar, did you get my PM?

Cheers,
Brian

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Beech cancelled? Well that sucks, I was hoping the SE was starting to produce some decent grassroots races. I'm starting to wonder if that we'll ever get to the point where we could actually have a SE race series.

Hey Mulestar, did you get my PM?

Cheers,
Brian

Just race #1 from what I've been told. Long winter didn't give Ryan much time to get the track back in rideable shape. Nobody has even seen it since the destructive december ice storm as far as I know. Hawksnest took a lot of work to get back in riding shape, and we didn't even have manmade snow to deal with.

Got your PM I'll be in touch.

-Andrew

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Yep, all day practice on Saturday and brief morning practice and afternoon race on Sunday.

Times:
Saturday practice: 10am-5pm
Registration opens at 9am
Sunday practice: 9-11:30
Race starts at 12, High noon
Race day registration opens at 8am

Good Times: All weekend long

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
A little raw footage from some shredding last weekend. The track is sick right now! Its gotten really rough since last year.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
How noob friendly is this place? I'm considering going as my first race but I'm afraid of traveling almost 5 hours to find I'm in over my head. Except for snowshoe agesss ago on a 4.5" bike, the only real downhill I've done is at Windrock a couple of times so how does it compare? The only thing I haven't worked up the nerve to do are the larger rock drops and the big "road gap" at the rock, and I probably won't until I get a fork that doesn't blow through the travel.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
You'll be just fine at Hawksnest. It's not as rough as windrock so you'll be ok on your bike. It gets harder the faster you go, but lots of people ride it on short travel bikes and love it..

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
How noob friendly is this place? I'm considering going as my first race but I'm afraid of traveling almost 5 hours to find I'm in over my head. Except for snowshoe agesss ago on a 4.5" bike, the only real downhill I've done is at Windrock a couple of times so how does it compare? The only thing I haven't worked up the nerve to do are the larger rock drops and the big "road gap" at the rock, and I probably won't until I get a fork that doesn't blow through the travel.

You'll have no problem making it down the track. Everything big is either rollable or has a go-around. There are plenty of opportunities for fast guys to step it up but the trail is also fine for most people with less experience.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
A little raw footage from some shredding last weekend. The track is sick right now! Its gotten really rough since last year.

the very first and last part of the vid :-)48 sec mark), is that part of the new pro course you're working on 'cause i don't remember it from last year?

the original rock garden looks solid now! :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That last berm before the triple is mocking me...I just know it. :shakefist:
Ha, that whole course is mocking me.
In the first race there, I lawndarted an oak tree, and the second race there,
I did a "Romancing the Stone" style 25 foot butt slide in the middle of my race run.
0 for 2.
3rd time is the charm.

The course looks great from that video. You can tell it is alot rougher.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Its hard to see, but I got a pole up the boot on this rock berm wipeout.

Wasn't there a closeup cropped version floating around last year? Hilarious.

Someone needs to give JR a go-pro if he's gonna continue his streak of epic off-trail excursions this year.

You know what's kind of funny about the races from last year. Now everyone is trying to put in some of the 'whoop' lines, but they are building them comppletely wrong. The ones over at Roswell were lined out and then they dug the dirt from the two sides and piled it in the middle. So, instead of having 'whoops', you have ditches with big piles of dirt in the middle. They don't work well, they are really rough, and a lot of people endo going through them.
I thought that was one of the best features of that whole track, and the peanut butter mud.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
How much will camping run for two people for Friday and Saturday nights?

Also is there a chance of walking the course before practice? I'd like to walk it with some people who know the course just to help build up some confidence..

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
Not going to make it. :rant: Looks like I will be at the shop this weekend. Any Charlotte guys need a quick check up let me know.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Saturday: registration opens at 9am
practice 10am-5pm
Sunday: registration opens at 8am
practice 9am-11:30am
racing begins at 12, high noon
Good Times: all weekend long!

2010 Race registration information
On site registration for all races: $45
Online Pre-registration for a single race: $40
Online Pre-registration for all three races (race the first two and get Hawk-o-ween free!): $90
Racing classes: Male-Pro, Masters (35+), Amateur, Intro, Junior (under 18)
Female-Pro, Amateur, Junior (under 18)

Online Pre-registration info
-All online registration transactions will take place using PayPal
E-mail us dirtybirddhrace@gmail.com
-in the E-mail please include: your name, age/date of birth, gender, address, emergency contact, sponsor, and racing category

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Racing classes: Male-Pro, Masters (35+), Amateur, Intro, Junior (under 18)
Female-Pro, Amateur, Junior (under 18)
..and judging by times/rankings last year compared to USAC Cat classes, (please correct me if i'm wrong but this is my personal observation)

Pro = Pro - fast expert (Cat Pro-Cat1)
Amateur = mid level expert/fast sport (Cat 1-2)
Intro = mid level sport - beginner (Cat 2-3)

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Website is down for some reason, I just talked to godaddy and it should be back up in a couple hours. Thanks for posting the info Butch

As far as camping goes grandfather campground is your best option, it's right at the base of the hill that leads up to the lodge.

There are also some cool houses and condos up on the hill in Seven Devils that you can rent. I'm not sure who to rent one through but a little internet searching could probably yield some prospects.

Also check booneweather.com for Seven Devils weather forecast. Lookin good so far but I'd still pack the jacket and the mud spikes just in case:thumb:

Edit: Website is up!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Sorry Jeremy, but 'Masters' is only for dudes with comb-over bald spots, so you should stay in 'Pro' (i.e. you will smoke me by 20 seconds or more and make me feel sad, blame my equipment, then start takings PEDs in obscene quantities).

But for a *serious* answer, you could obviously go either way. You're certainly fast enough to race Pro, but it could be fun to stomp the old guys. But if you pass me I will throw my colostomy bag at you :banana:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm personally gunning for a repeat of my previous awkward, slow motion yard sale in the lefthand rock garden. Hopefully the guy in the banana suit will kindly walk my bike back to me as well. Speaking of which, is there a UCI penalty assessed for unsolicited aid from Fruit-of-the-Loom characters? I mean, Sam "got away" with entering the course below where he exited, so I think friendly trailside fruit should be copacetic.