Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

Anvil

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
Definitely not--I wasn't even aware that he made a hardtail frame.
As far as I know, it's the only one in the world at the moment. That one is a pre-production proto from a couple of years ago. He's just now getting a batch built. Won't be exactly the same -- it'll be better!

I raced DH on this bike all season in the Mountain States Cup with either a Marz 66 or a Boxxer Team on it. It rocks for a hardtail!

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Finished building it today.

2006 Cove Stiffee FR RAD

Yes I know that's a dual crown fork on there, no I don't want to do X-ups
That's what I had laying around in the storage locker -- until I can get a good deal on a Fox 36 TALAS RC2

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186279/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186278/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186277/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186276/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186275/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1186274/
The build above weighed in at 36lbs. Rode one 90km XC ride and decided to shed some pounds.

Put a Pike426 dual air u-turn, changed the rubber, new saddle, that alone saved close to 5 lbs.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
New (well, a couple months old) ti hardtail. Built around a Pike give me a 68deg HA. Built beefy enough for a 160mm to slack it up a bit to 67. Been riding it mostly with the Pike, but have recently tossed a Nixon Elite 160mm that I picked up cheaply on.

I'll ride it that way a bit and see which fork/headangle setup I prefer. If taller, I'd rather something like a Lyrik Solo-Air, but the Nixon was cheap, and so far it's working well. The Lyrik would just be nice to have it be stiffer, and a pound lighter than the Nixon.

15" seattube, 22.5" toptube. 13" bb with the Nixon on. Frame is a 4.25# and feels really good - tough enough for what I do on a bike. A near carbon copy of my steel Peyto frame - just a 1/2" longer in the toptube.

2.6" Kenda with room to spare. 38mm dia. top and down tubes, 31.8mm seat tube. 19mm seatstays, 22mm chainstays. Disc side stay bracing. Insert into the seat tube up top to bring the post size to 27.2mm and reinforce the area. 0.9mm tubing with the down tube and chainstays bumped up to 1.2mm thickness.

Top and bottom lap gussets with rings top and bottom as well. Zip tie cable guides throughout, a stop for a front derailleur if I decide to run one, and a chain hanger. Because I like them, and because I could.

Chinese ti by XACD, though Gene Spicer acted as middle man/pimp to make sure things went smoothly. Cheaper than domestic, but I still gave money to a domestic builder that way.

Sliding Rohloff compatable slider dropouts in case that temptation strikes, or to go SS.

For the short time I've had it, it's been a fun ride. It's probably going to see the majority of my ride time.

It's and awesome little trialsy trailbike that can do a little bit of everything, and well, at least for me. I'ts not a huge hucking bike, but that isn't the type of rider I am either. Tight, twisty, rooty, rocky, steep and technical is my thing, and this bike so far is rocking on that stuff. It's really groovy on slow speed technical stuff.

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Time to bring an old thread back from the dead!

Just (re)built my Evil imperial as a light XC/all-mountain/Big Bear bike, and of course it ends up freaking burly again. Did pretty much full LX build, with V1 handlebars and all-mountain stem, and Fox 36. Ended up to (ironically enough) 36 lbs. For that much weight I might as well add 4 lbs and make it a 8" DH bike, lol.

It feels pretty fun around the street so far, but mainly it just brings back memories of the good ole' days. Now if only i had a Super Monster T laying around, I'd be like 2001 all over again!

Attachments

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
Time to bring an old thread back from the dead!

Just (re)built my Evil imperial as a light XC/all-mountain/Big Bear bike, and of course it ends up freaking burly again. Did pretty much full LX build, with V1 handlebars and all-mountain stem, and Fox 36. Ended up to (ironically enough) 36 lbs. For that much weight I might as well add 4 lbs and make it a 8" DH bike, lol.

It feels pretty fun around the street so far, but mainly it just brings back memories of the good ole' days. Now if only i had a Super Monster T laying around, I'd be like 2001 all over again!
Dude, looks sick. Looks like a street queen though, needs more damage to prove that it gets used properly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
my favorite thread is back! nice ride Argonzero - looks like a lot of fun :)

rinseflow

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Finland
Boy does this thread take a loooong time to wade through. I'm on my second day and nowhere near through it.

But.. whatever happened to all those awesome Imperials I'm seeing? Where did they all go? Surely they did not break?!?! Why'd they ever stop making the frame?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
looks sick, no chance I could afford/need a new bike yet im still thinking of what I'd build that up with if i had the chance

Jan 14, 2019
Hey guys here is my evil imperial I’ve had for ever, I have built this bike in so many different ways over the years, 24x3 double wides with a shiver was its original life. Then went to risse Trixie with 26 dmax, then after hanging on the wall for a few years it came back to life as a dj with argile up front, then it rode the whole free ride wave utilizing a 66 then a totem with the classic 24/26 combo. After collecting dust for a few more years I have just recently built her up again without spending a dime as I had everything laying around the shop, as a and get this a lightweight aggressive trail bike I guess you’d call it rolling on 29s yeah big ole wagon wheels and a fox 34. I’m curious if anybody else has a build similar. This is Victoria she rolls like what I would think ebike would and only ways in at 29 lbs. it gets so many confused looks at the bike park because shit it’s a 29er imperial. Honestly this build started out as a joke and now it’s my favorite bike to ride besides my gambler when there is a chairlift. Pumped I found this thread hope you guys get a kick out of her present build

Attachments

Jan 14, 2019
I know this bike is so wrong on so many levels but it just feels so right ..... Didn’t cost me a dime to build up this time, just a lifetime love of bikes. Generation uno Evil imperial had since new, current build fox rythum 34, I9 trail 29!, saint 175 mil kranks 34 t race face, sram x9, zee binders, Dank Poon 785 uncut bar, truvative husslefelt stem. Thanks for the look and giggle cause ya know did. Bike gets the most smiles and use out of my fleet. Built from extra parts in the shop and because fuck it it’s punk rock !

Attachments

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Chameleon waaaaay back in the days. loved that bike.
had an Evil DOC, not too burly more street bike.
still have the Sovereign. so much fun.
had a Pedalhead, sold it, replaced it with an almost same but different Stylus. :bonk:

the hardtail du jour ... sans drooper pole.
stylus 2.jpg

edit: found pic of the DOC ...
DOC.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019
A few pics taken on a ride this morning to better show my new favorite toy. I can’t believe how well it works and fun it Is to ride
But some reason saying file is too large for server to process or something like that, any idea ....... analogue guy here sorry

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A few pics taken on a ride this morning to better show my new favorite toy. I can’t believe how well it works and fun it Is to ride
But some reason saying file is too large for server to process or something like that, any idea ....... analogue guy here sorry
If you are on a PC you can use paint to resize it, that's my limit of photo editing skills.

That Evil above makes my kidneys hurt.

Jan 14, 2019
If you are on a PC you can use paint to resize it, that's my limit of photo editing skills.

That Evil above makes my kidneys hurt.
Thanks Hardtail I’ll try, and it does look like a shit ride but I cannot believe how she goes I’ll try and get some hardtail hucking and wide open Death Grip blasting on the local dh video up soon and of coarse the cleaning of highlands bangers coming this May