Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Does anyone know if there is a Ti heavy spring for an 888?

And what about a Ti spring for a Manitou SVP?

However, it would be a correct observation that most of the weight on my Demo could come off of the rider before the bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
888 Ti springs have been discussed for the past week, and the answer is unless you go to a Mojo 999r kit it won't happen. Look at RCS springs or Manitou direct for your Swinger. (The search function can be your friend)

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
bullcrew said:
39.8 Karpiel aramgeddon with my boxxer on it and 43.5 with my S8, my rm7 is 38.5lbs.
Karpiel:
deemax/king wheelset
Kenda folding 2.5 tubeless
AVY 2.75 w/ ti spring
xpedo mag pedals
rf n.shore cranks
e-13 srs
king headset
protaper os bars
odi loc ons
x.9 shift and rear der
hope m4's
thomson post and stem
wtb laser v dh ti saddle
s8 fork
xtr cassette 4 ti cogs
43.5 lbs

with boxxer on 39.8lbs

There is intrest still in weogh savings.
wow! An avy-tized Armageddon under 40? That's really impressive.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
seismic said:
.....but why is the Avy a 2,75 ???
My bad it's a 8.75 with the spacer taken out brining it to 3" stroke via Craig.
Don't recomend doing this just due to the fact that you are limited in the seat adjustment. By minusing 1/2" off the top of the shock drops it to where it's all up travel and the seat has to be moved forward so it doesn't hit when it's compressed.
Makes one He_l of a VVVRRRAAAAPPPP noise and scares anyone close to you. :D
Yeah getting it under the 40 was the feat and being 43.5 with the S8 is fine being the way it rides.
Lots of magnesium and titanium.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
How are you getting by with 2.5" folding-bead tires set up for tubeless? Seems to me like running non-DH specific casings tubeless (especially Kenda's, which are rumored to disintegrate with Tubless sealant) is a risky proposition. Let us know how that's working for you if it does indeed work. The Karpiel sounds awesome, by the way. I've wanted an Army since I saw one for the first time in Double Down.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
stgil888 said:
How are you getting by with 2.5" folding-bead tires set up for tubeless? Seems to me like running non-DH specific casings tubeless (especially Kenda's, which are rumored to disintegrate with Tubless sealant) is a risky proposition. Let us know how that's working for you if it does indeed work. The Karpiel sounds awesome, by the way. I've wanted an Army since I saw one for the first time in Double Down.
I haven't had a single problem yet and I'm on 6 months this time with it in there and had an additional 2 months on the same set last year on my bullit before I broke my foot.
I have had NO problems yet, I will post some pics tomorrow of the rock terrain we ride to give you an idea of how reliable they are and also the 9' to almost flat that we drop on a daily basis.
The pics will be of my ride to work, I hit it every other day.
Twice today.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Transcend said:
That's a pretty sweet stock setup. Pretty much identical to our team stuff, minus the guide and frame.

How is the reliability with the chain dog/cat/rollercoaster deal? You did run them last year right? Whenever I see those and or the LG1, i remember proto testing it at Bromont and utterly obliterating the entire setup on rocks.
well we had the team on them last year and not one problem, that picture shows them hanging down at the lowest point as well but we all moved the lower pulley's up to about in line with the bottom of the big ring

and no they don't act like a rear deraillaur per say althought they do have a coil spring an dlever which keeps it in line with the big ring and allows it to move vertically

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
bullcrew said:
"04" bullit large
deemax 36 spoke rims
maxxis minion 2.35 dh 40d tires
hope mono 6ti brakes 205mm rotors
avalanche dhs 2.75
boxxer team black boxxed
hussefelt cranks
fsa 118 bb platinum pro
bulletproof pedals
xt front der
xt cassette
vuelta rings 22 & 32
bg ti saddle
thomson post and stem (cut down)
world force bars
x.9 shifters and rear der.
pc 59 chain
odi loc ons
e-13drs 36th bashguard
ti springs in the boxxer
on the avy
drop the cranks/b for xt hollowtech2
get a lighter bar like a truvativ holz or carbon if you want.
thomson x4 or e13 stem

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Bullcrew- My Gemini wasn't even as light as it could have been. I had some pretty heavy stuff on there like saint cranks and the old e13 srs. I used a dura ace cassette-wtb dual duty fr rims with stans notubes-cnt bars-ti spring light saddle, cut post, lite stem-fox 40 rc2 with the ti spring-mallet m's-hollow pin chain-lite grips-xo shifter and derailleur-there are many ways to make it race lite and I remember tires and the ti spring making the biggest difference vs. cost. Also I used Hope mini's with seven inch rotor front and six rear. I didn't use ti bolt kits or have middleburn cranks or a gamut guide or even try to have the lightest bike. You can get them really light if you want- My philosophy is try it the lightest and if it breaks, try heavier. H

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I could probably get my sunday down to 38-39 with tubeless, ti spring, boxxer wc, hone cranks, mag pedals, and light rims
but that ain't gonna happen

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I remember a website where you could type in the part and then calculate the weight of your bike. Anyone know what I am talking about? LINKS?!?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
If I had to guess my bike weight I would say about 46-48 pounds lbs. But, here is what I came up with:

3751 g Frame, and seatpost-Clamp
1310 g DHS Rear Shock
3859 g Shiver DC uncut steerer tube
466 g HAyes HFX Comps Front brake- lever caliper, hose, rotor, bolts
490 g HAyes HFX Comps rear brake- lever caliper, hose, rotor, bolts
1333 g Gazzaloddi Junior 26X2.6" tire
1200 g MAxxis 24X2.7" tire 50a
448 g Maxxis Downhill Front Tube
400 g Maxxis Downhill Rear Tube
1100 g Front Single Trat Wheel
1100 g Rear Singletrack wheel 24"
177 g Shimano XT Front Deraillure
280 g Shimano Alvio Rear Deraillure
225 g Bottom Bracket ?
475 g Speacialized Big Arm Cranks ?
289 g SRAM PC990 Hollowlink chain
292 g Shimano Rear Cassets- 9 speed Deore XT
15 g Shimano Casset Lockrings
844 g BMW Shinburger Pedals
150 g Headset?
225 g Pro Taper Handle Bars
114 g Yeti ODI Lockon grips.
250 g Pair of shifters ?
275 g Seat/Saddle yeah ?
249 g Kore seat post ?
30 g Other bolts ?
200 g Custom Built Frame Guard ?
100 g Cut of tire/zip ties around fork to protect the frame ?
______

20 011 gram = 44.116 703 286 pounds

So if all I said is right, my Big Hit weighs in at around 44 pounds.
:)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No one can say you don't do your homework.
Good job! :thumb:

DH biker said:
If I had to guess my bike weight I would say about 46-48 pounds lbs. But, here is what I came up with:

3751 g Frame, and seatpost-Clamp
1310 g DHS Rear Shock
3859 g Shiver DC uncut steerer tube
466 g HAyes HFX Comps Front brake- lever caliper, hose, rotor, bolts
490 g HAyes HFX Comps rear brake- lever caliper, hose, rotor, bolts
1333 g Gazzaloddi Junior 26X2.6" tire
1200 g MAxxis 24X2.7" tire 50a
448 g Maxxis Downhill Front Tube
400 g Maxxis Downhill Rear Tube
1100 g Front Single Trat Wheel
1100 g Rear Singletrack wheel 24"
177 g Shimano XT Front Deraillure
280 g Shimano Alvio Rear Deraillure
225 g Bottom Bracket ?
475 g Speacialized Big Arm Cranks ?
289 g SRAM PC990 Hollowlink chain
292 g Shimano Rear Cassets- 9 speed Deore XT
15 g Shimano Casset Lockrings
844 g BMW Shinburger Pedals
150 g Headset?
225 g Pro Taper Handle Bars
114 g Yeti ODI Lockon grips.
250 g Pair of shifters ?
275 g Seat/Saddle yeah ?
249 g Kore seat post ?
30 g Other bolts ?
200 g Custom Built Frame Guard ?
100 g Cut of tire/zip ties around fork to protect the frame ?
______

20 011 gram = 44.116 703 286 pounds

So if all I said is right, my Big Hit weighs in at around 44 pounds.
:)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Heath Sherratt said:
Bullcrew- My Gemini wasn't even as light as it could have been. I had some pretty heavy stuff on there like saint cranks and the old e13 srs. I used a dura ace cassette-wtb dual duty fr rims with stans notubes-cnt bars-ti spring light saddle, cut post, lite stem-fox 40 rc2 with the ti spring-mallet m's-hollow pin chain-lite grips-xo shifter and derailleur-there are many ways to make it race lite and I remember tires and the ti spring making the biggest difference vs. cost. Also I used Hope mini's with seven inch rotor front and six rear. I didn't use ti bolt kits or have middleburn cranks or a gamut guide or even try to have the lightest bike. You can get them really light if you want- My philosophy is try it the lightest and if it breaks, try heavier. H
Thats a good outlook. I don't really want a 45lb bike, If i have to spend money to lighten it and still stay strong I will. I got it down and then decided I loved the S8 too much to ace it. So i guess the 43lb mark is where its gonna sit.
I figure I can cut maybe a lb off of it without really sacraficing too much but after that it's no good for freeride and hucking.
My main problem is I want it light and still be able to huck/FR/DH urban and mountain.
Alot to ask. :D

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MOTODH said:
I could probably get my sunday down to 38-39 with tubeless, ti spring, boxxer wc, hone cranks, mag pedals, and light rims
but that ain't gonna happen
The Sunday frame weighs 0.44 lbs less than the Commencal frame that Sir Bikealot said was in the 37s, so follow that build and you should be damn light!

Dave

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dw said:
The Sunday frame weighs 0.44 lbs less than the Commencal frame that Sir Bikealot said was in the 37s, so follow that build and you should be damn light!

Dave

Oh I know it could be very light the only thing stopping me is the lack of money:p

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
RD said:
how do you intend on running hone cranks?

Actually I don't intend to at all, I was just expressing how i could get my bike sub 40 pounds. I have no plans to buy any one of those upgrades as i love my bike as is, Anyhoo back on topic isn't shimano coming out with a 83 bb? not sure though

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The 40 was a great fork for all applications in my opinion. You should be able to get it around 40 easy. under that and your looking for a race bike. If you need you could just have a race set of wheels, chainguide, and maybe tires and the ti spring on the shock saves TWO pounds!!!!

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Try to build my VPX As light as possible without lack of durability....
Work still in Progress but here some facts:

Uzzi VPX Frame
2006 Boxxer Team with 06 WC Air Spring side
Easton EA 70 Monkey bar
Synthace Superforce stem
Formula ORO Puro Brakes (430 grams Front 200mm Brake including all Bolts and Adapter)
XT Crankset
XTR Shifter and Trigger
Carbonfiber Chainguard (Selfmade about 330 grams)
Hugi FR44 Front Wheel with DT Swiss 5.1 Gim and competition Spokes
AC 150mm Rear hub, same rim and Spokes as front (front and rear wheel weight: 1980 g)
Thompson Elite Seatpost, Extralite Pinup seat
Extralite seatclamp (12g)
Nokon Cables
maybe DHX Air
Schwalbe AV13 Tubes (190g) and superdurable
Maxxis tyres
Inverno screw on grips
Dura ace 12-27 Cassette
Crank Brothers Mallet M pedals

Should be all......

Calculated weight should be 16.78 Kg if the frameweight is right, will get the frame in 2 Weeks (maybe decolour and anodize it, another 150-200 g weight reduction)

Why?

BECAUSE IT´S POSSIBLE.........
And i want it.......

Greetings, Cannon

Forgot the Syntace Aheadset (reducer 100g)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
How do you like the puros, I am thinking about thoes with the hope 2 piece roteres (they are lighter than the formula ones)

And heath on the wheelset running double butted spokes or thoes sapims as well as alloy nipples will do alot to drop weight.

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
The Puros are awsome(the hole ORO Range is fu*&ing good), brake power without an end, durable, comes very close to the Maguras Gustav M.
Hope rotors are an opinion, never thought about, must try.
DT Swiss Competition Spokes are already butted, no alloy Nipples, they don´t work in DH/FR, can´t keep the force.
Go for DT´s Proloc.
Will get the Frame in the next 2 Weeks, Pictures are following.....

How much are the Oros in US?

Greetz, Cannon

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
My Appalache frame weighs in at 9lbs, 2oz with a 6 Way and a steel coil. It would be in the 8's with an air shock. I just weighed it on a digital baby weighing scale from the public health office (yes, I'm a dork). I'm putting a Mojo ti coil on it soon, then maybe an air shock down the road. Not bad for a 9" travel frame.

My '05 Boxxer Team is 7lbs, 2oz and with a Mojo kit it should shave a pound off of that.

Other parts will include a ti headset from Stone Edge Racing, Azonic ti flats, an E13 light guide and Ali stem, Red Raven rotors, to name a few. It should be a 'real' 37-38lbs when done.

That Commencel is very nice but by looking at it, I'm guessing 41-42lbs, which is still a light bike. There's a a lot of material on that frame. How did you weigh it?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Wayne said:
That Commencel is very nice but by looking at it, I'm guessing 41-42lbs, which is still a light bike. There's a a lot of material on that frame. How did you weigh it?
It says 17kg on their site. 17kg=37.5lbs Pretty darn impressive.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
motomike said:
Just finished my Demo8 build. 38.82 lbs
Could I see a spec sheet/pics please? I'm trying to get my Demo a little lighter and I want to see how you did it.

Thanks a lot!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Bicyclist said:
Could I see a spec sheet/pics please? I'm trying to get my Demo a little lighter and I want to see how you did it.

Thanks a lot!
2006 Demo 8 frame, medium

-DHX 5.0 shock with RCS 400# ti spring
-stock seatpost, cut about 3" off
-Selle San Marco Aspide seat
-CK headset
-Protaper aluminum handlebar
-E.13 stem
-odi lock-on grips
-2006 Boxxer WC fork
-DT Swiss 440FR wheels, xc tubes. 12mm hub with step-down axle
-Hope Mono M4 brakes
-X.O shifter and rear der.
-DuraAce cassette
-FSA ISIS xc bottom bracket
-Truvativ Holzfeller cranks
-E.13 LG1 guide with taco
-Crank Bros Mallet M pedals

38.82 lbs. (weighed with the rear brake on of course.)

I think that's everything. I need to order some brake housing for the rear brake(too short). Here's a couple pics: