Quantcast

Leogang World Cup and 26 Trix

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I doubt giving WC athletes hand jobs would benifit my biking in any way. Im more interested in their approach to the physical side of it as stated in my previous comment.
Most likely you'd find that DHers starting to take roadie-style fitness and alpine ski-racer balance/core stability seriously is the best thing to happen to DH since its inception, and in Gwin's case, having a solid history of racing moto helps a bit too, and having a coach to help you orchestrate the whole picture helps even more.

The specifics of what Gwin does wouldn't help others as much as the general approach would help them. Specifics need to be tailored to specific riders and their personal strengths and weaknesses in talent, natural abilities, and work ethic.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Since everyone complains when the freecaster feed sucks; I figured I would point out that the feed for me this round was FLAWLESS.

We are pretty lucky to have a service like this and its free at that. Props to those guys for a well-executed weekend. :thumb:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
People have mentioned Tomac and Ryan, did I imagine that he was working with James Wilson? Sure I saw that somewhere.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
when he was with Yeti he was i believe
this. wilson was hired by yeti last year to work with the team. i don't know if he did any personal work with gwin outside the yeti team environment but when gwin went to TWR i'm pretty sure that relationship would have to be over.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Since everyone complains when the freecaster feed sucks; I figured I would point out that the feed for me this round was FLAWLESS.

We are pretty lucky to have a service like this and its free at that. Props to those guys for a well-executed weekend. :thumb:
+1 I don't think I had to reload or anything even a single time.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The specifics of what Gwin does wouldn't help others as much as the general approach would help them. Specifics need to be tailored to specific riders and their personal strengths and weaknesses in talent, natural abilities, and work ethic.
That plus...almost no one else can spend all day training in the gym and riding.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

It bears mentioning that the journalists were raving about net access as it were, so that may have helped the feed.

As for Gwin's training, there is so very much different about this year for him.

1. TWR - I can only assume the budget and payscale is dramatically different. This would mean all his time can be devoted to nutrition, training and tuning
2. Tomac - First hand knowledge of being able to properly plan and execute a DH run from top to bottom. Tomac has been a pro road racer, XC racer and DH racer and I can't imagine the feedback he can provide for just a single timed run on track.
3. Supplementaion - Bigger paycheck may translate into a better diet, everything from whole foods to top of the line supplements.

Bottom line: g-WINNING

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
Maybe I could clear up some things:

- Gwin's trainer is John Tomac
- Gwin works out at Ryno's gym, and implements lots of Ryno's Strength Training Techniques
- Gwin does not use Jame's Wilson program anymore
- Big House makes sure he's taken care of, and Mamma house makes sure he's well fed. (Gluten Free of course)
- He's fast.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I hope this is inspiring kids on bikes to get into riding and racing...particularly downhill. Trek does a good job with promotion, and I hope they sending out posters of Gwin to every bike shop that sells a Trek. Gwin is great for the sport - finally!

The UK has their heroes, as do the French, the Aussies, etc. I think this really does elevate the sport in the home country over time.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

- Gwin works out at Ryno's gym, and implements lots of Ryno's Strength Training Techniques
- Big House makes sure he's taken care of, and Mamma house makes sure he's well fed. (Gluten Free of course)
- He's fast.
Yo Big House, good to hear from you. I should have given props to you and that's my bad. FYI, I spotted your logo on his new lid. Nice touch!:thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That plus...almost no one else can spend all day training in the gym and riding.
I always remind myself of this when I feel inadequate. Yes, I know I would never reach a WC pro level, but given the opportunity to ride as a job I would certainly be at least in better shape.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I always remind myself of this when I feel inadequate. Yes, I know I would never reach a WC pro level, but given the opportunity to ride as a job I would certainly be at least in better shape.
Meh, just go to the gym twice a week, go do some serious road climbing 2-3 times a week and ride DH once or twice in you'll be in as good of shape as you can ever hope to be. And pretty good at that if you push yourself.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Meh, just go to the gym twice a week, go do some serious road climbing 2-3 times a week and ride DH once or twice in you'll be in as good of shape as you can ever hope to be. And pretty good at that if you push yourself.
Your days must have a different number of hours in them than some of ours:think:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Your days must have a different number of hours in them than some of ours:think:
Maybe. Doubt it. I'm single and work 5 to 6 days a week and 50-60 hours a week. But they are a flexible 50-60 hours. You only need 1.5 hours tops to do a solid gym workout and about the same to do a real road ride (I think). I guess I'm just lucky in that my gym is a 5 minute walk from my office and 3k ft vert road climbs are 20-30 minute ride from my house.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Maybe. Doubt it. I'm single and work 5 to 6 days a week and 50-60 hours a week. But they are a flexible 50-60 hours. You only need 1.5 hours tops to do a solid gym workout and about the same to do a real road ride (I think). I guess I'm just lucky in that my gym is a 5 minute walk from my office and 3k ft vert road climbs are 20-30 minute ride from my house.
I highlighted the key word :D

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011

- He's fast.
Point 3 is GREAT news. James Wilson is a clown. Tomac hands down is better. Wilson actually tried to argue that flat pedals are equal to clipless in pedaling efficiency. What an idiot. Flats may be preferable for a given rider because of his/her confidence on flats, but they're not more efficient at turning human power into forward bicycling motion.

Point 4 is GREAT too! Thank you for doing this! It's good he's taking advantage of the best talent in American MTB racing.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What's the deal with the Gluten free thing? is he allergic, or is there some sort of perceived advantage to not having gluten in your diet?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
And of course Gwin is now on clips... anyone know when he switched, out of interest? Curious how long it takes a WC-level rider who's always been a flattie to adjust to SPDs so well that he can win races on them!

Also, didn't Big House himself used to be on Wilson's program? I take it he isn't any more?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
And of course Gwin is now on clips... anyone know when he switched, out of interest? Curious how long it takes a WC-level rider who's always been a flattie to adjust to SPDs so well that he can win races on them!
I think he's always gone back and forth between flat pedals and clips.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Also, didn't Big House himself used to be on Wilson's program? I take it he isn't any more?
He went back an forth between clips and flats from the start, settled pretty much on clips alone at the start of '09.

Stevie Smith rode clips up until the end of '07 and seems to have switched back to them the past 3 WC rounds.

Fairclough started as a clipped in rider back in the day, Brosnan started on flats. . . . and the list goes on.

A good number of these guys, as well as plenty of am riders I know, can go back and forth without a whole lot of trouble, and plenty of clipped in riders spend a lot of time riding flats as well (have a look at some of the pre-season testing vids).

I think the internets give pedal preference way too much attention.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
What's the deal with the Gluten free thing? is he allergic, or is there some sort of perceived advantage to not having gluten in your diet?
maybe houseman can clear this up but i'm pretty sure it's just a training/health thing. i think he mentioned in an interview somewhere that 'they've got me on a gluten free diet'. made it sound like his peeps recommended it and he went with it.

it's obvious that gwin is going to do anything and everything he can to give himself that edge over his competitors with an end goal of winning every race he enters. his body language after his leogang win show that while he's having fun with this, he is not ****ing around.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sure try to do that with a full time job plus two small kids.

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
The Gluten Free deal is something Ryno suggested a while back. He tried it, and liked it.

Right now everything seems to be going to plan.

Looking forward to MSA!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Word on the street is he pulled a Robert Johnson and went down to the crossroads and that is why he is winning.:rofl:
Ha!

I think his belief gives him a little invincibility. Interesting how he's toned down thanking 'god' after a good result like he used to.

IMO the major reason he's so quick right now is luck. He's only been around a couple of years and hasn't had a major stack yet. After he smashes himself up his reset button will be pressed and he'll slow it down. Just as Hill has done.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow how DH has changed. Back when Sam was the king it was about bar length, bb height and head angle. Now its about riding gluten free :)

Damn it I will keep my Sunday stay old school and eat my gluten.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
After watching Gwin's interviews he seems to have more focus than everyone else. He talks like Hill did a few years ago. It's cool to see how far he's progressed in such a short time.

I think his edge is mostly mental right now; he's in the right mind set at the right time and it'll keep building until someone flat out beats him.

Worlds is going to be awesome if Hill gets on pace and Gwin can keep his confidence high.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
You're tripping dude if you think he's made it this far without having a major off. Why do you think he has the choice to race 'without' his front teeth?

And as far a why he's able to do what he's doing? He's a Gwinner.
In all seriousness though he's got the best support in the biz, and he is as solid of a guy, and a rider as there ever has been.

Ha!

I think his belief gives him a little invincibility. Interesting how he's toned down thanking 'god' after a good result like he used to.

IMO the major reason he's so quick right now is luck. He's only been around a couple of years and hasn't had a major stack yet. After he smashes himself up his reset button will be pressed and he'll slow it down. Just as Hill has done.

Last edited: