Quantcast

Leogang World Cup and 26 Trix

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow how DH has changed. Back when Sam was the king it was about bar length, bb height and head angle. Now its about riding gluten free :)

Damn it I will keep my Sunday stay old school and eat my gluten.
It's true though- bikes are all pretty damn good now and tracks have sped up a bit overall as far as I can tell. Parity! Drama!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
You're tripping dude if you think he's made it this far without having a major off. Why do you think he has the choice to race 'without' his front teeth?
not being able to get unclipped in a parking lot isn't exactly a major off even if it does result in tooth loss.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
You're tripping dude if you think he's made it this far without having a major off. Why do you think he has the choice to race 'without' his front teeth?

And as far a why he's able to do what he's doing? He's a Gwinner.
In all seriousness though he's got the best support in the biz, and he is as solid of a guy, and a rider as there ever has been.
Dude, I'm not saying he isn't talented, he's unbelievable. I just think riders get that subconscious reset after a big off and he hasn't had one yet. You could argue the same about Gee but if look at the practice footage this year Gwin is riding like a lunatic compared to Gee and Greg. You probably have to ride like that to win these things right now but I can see an inevitability in it just as I think you could with Hill.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dude, I'm not saying he isn't talented, he's unbelievable. I just think riders get that subconscious reset after a big off and he hasn't had one yet. You could argue the same about Gee but if look at the practice footage this year Gwin is riding like a lunatic compared to Gee and Greg. You probably have to ride like that to win these things right now but I can see an inevitability in it just as I think you could with Hill.
I'm sure Gwin has had worse crashes than anyone can imagine on the moto. I doubt any crash on the DH bike is going to shake him. You forget, you don't top out at 40-45 on a moto, you top out at 90-100mph. He's probably got more saddle time riding absolutely balls to the wall on his moto than anyone racing DH world cups has. TONS more opportunity to get hurt.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The mental side of DH racing can't be understated and the positive effect training has on ones confidence might be of greater benefit than the physical gains. It might be less about what he's doing and how much compared to other guys so much as all the pieces coming together just right to give that extra boost of confidence. As for Hill, this seems to be what he's lacking far more than a lack of physical preparation (his time in SA and splits on pedally bits at Ft Bill would indicate he's plenty fit).

With all his recent results, it's easy to forget Minnaar backed up his overall win in '05 by going winless on the WC circuit for over 2 seasons before a return to form at Ft. William '08. It happens.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The mental side of DH racing can't be understated and the positive effect training has on ones confidence might be of greater benefit than the physical gains. It might be less about what he's doing and how much compared to other guys so much as all the pieces coming together just right to give that extra boost of confidence. As for Hill, this seems to be what he's lacking far more than a lack of physical preparation (his time in SA and splits on pedally bits at Ft Bill would indicate he's plenty fit).

With all his recent results, it's easy to forget Minnaar backed up his overall win in '05 by going winless on the WC circuit for over 2 seasons before a return to form at Ft. William '08. It happens.
If I'm not mistaken, didn't GM also have a 1st Gen Maxle for a shoulder socket between that time period?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If I'm not mistaken, didn't GM also have a 1st Gen Maxle for a shoulder socket between that time period?
Yes, especially later in '07. But he had some non-WC wins and a bunch of podiums so it probably isn't the only contributing factor that kept him off the top step. He certainly wasn't the only top guy riding with a nagging injury. Among others, Sam Hill started the moto pant trend in '07 by covering up a knee brace. And of course there's Barel's foot in '07 then his knee, now his femur. Seems everyone's nursing something at some point during the season.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
And of course there's Barel's foot in '07 then his knee, now his femur. Seems everyone's nursing something at some point during the season.
Yes but that guy is a mental freak of nature. Coming back and winning your first WC after a massive knee injury on one of the gnarlier tracks? Just..insane. I don't know how you could come out of the gate that hard after such an insanely painful injury.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
As time goes by I feel more and more that Barel has either super human confidence, or a serious screw loose. Either way he is an absolute inspiration.

It is so good to see Gwin shaking things up... I hope this inspires Big Air to come back from a youthful retirement and let One Life take a break for a bit.

Also so stoked to see that hanging it out is really starting to pay off for Hart. This kid has been a joy to watch for years now. Maybe Blenki should stop learning discipline from Nico and train at the circus, I want the old batsh!t crazy Blenki back...

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I think the internets give pedal preference way too much attention.
Yeah those stupid roadies should quit being Trendy and Hip with their clipless, and go back to flats. Clearly there's no difference. ;)

It's not a non-issue. Being more efficient on the bike = more power and strength and mental toughness reserved for what, where and when you need it.

Of course a rider can jump back and forth. That doesn't negate the efficiency aspect, it deals more with the psychological tranquility -- what the rider is more comfortable with, confidence-wise. Confidence can outweigh efficiency in a 2, 3 or 4 minute race effort.

I don't even wanna touch the Q of whether Believing in God = better for racing. I'll only observe that Gwin is a very young man and inclined to change his beliefs about MANY things between now and when he's my age.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah those stupid roadies should quit being Trendy and Hip with their clipless, and go back to flats. Clearly there's no difference. ;)

It's not a non-issue. Being more efficient on the bike = more power and strength and mental toughness reserved for what, where and when you need it.

Of course a rider can jump back and forth. That doesn't negate the efficiency aspect, it deals more with the psychological tranquility -- what the rider is more comfortable with, confidence-wise. Confidence can outweigh efficiency in a 2, 3 or 4 minute race effort.

I don't even wanna touch the Q of whether Believing in God = better for racing. I'll only observe that Gwin is a very young man and inclined to change his beliefs about MANY things between now and when he's my age.
I hate to get back into this topic...it has been brought up before and you can find more info in other threads here on RM but I've seen some studies done out of Georgia Tech that show clips are not more "efficient". There are some advantages but that is not one of them...especially in DH where the rider's body position is very different than in seated road riding. So not defending James or looking to further the argument but I think this is a misconception and I am sure it is not why the DH guys use them.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
word, and really, even if there is a God, the last thing he/she/it cares about is some dude riding a bike down hills.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
I hate to get back into this topic...it has been brought up before and you can find more info in other threads here on RM but I've seen some studies done out of Georgia Tech that show clips are not more "efficient". There are some advantages but that is not one of them...especially in DH where the rider's body position is very different than in seated road riding. So not defending James or looking to further the argument but I think this is a misconception and I am sure it is not why the DH guys use them.
A "study" is a financed argument in favor of something.

Not a scientifically detached and holistic examination of the issues.

Dig?

A "study" is commmissioned to "prove" a point. Not to examine the truth, but to prove a point.

Which explains why ClownJames misunderstood things as well.

You and ClownJames are free to believe what you want. Like a person believing in God and attributing his success to God, you can find a personal meaning in something that's been conjured whole-cloth by man, for the sake of delivering a ready-made argument.

If you're more confident on flats, then you should use them. But don't be deluded that flats (with sticky soles or not) can ever be as efficient as being mechanically fastened to the pedal.

They can't.

Even with Gargantuan Pins and 1/2" deep 5.10 sticky rubber, how is the rider going to make full power between 9 and 12 on the clockface if he's not mechanically fastened?

I suggest trying to use "traction pins" and "sticky rubber" to connect your crankshaft to your connecting rod and see how efficient your engine runs, compared to an engine with mechanical fasteners.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007

Dig?

A "study" is commmissioned to "prove" a point. Not to examine the truth, but to prove a point.

Which explains why ClownJames misunderstood things as well.

You and ClownJames are free to believe what you want. Like a person believing in God and attributing his success to God, you can find a personal meaning in something that's been conjured whole-cloth by man, for the sake of delivering a ready-made argument.

If you're more confident on flats, then you should use them. But don't be deluded that flats (with sticky soles or not) can ever be as efficient as being mechanically fastened to the pedal.

They can't.
You're suggesting that Georgia Tech has been financed (by whom?) to make an argument in favor of flat pedals?

And your belief that being clipped in is more efficient in a DH pedaling situation is based on...what?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
word, and really, even if there is a God, the last thing he/she/it cares about is some dude riding a bike down hills.
I am not a remotely religious person, but the one counter to this that I've heard is something to the effect of: "God is very involved in my life and this sport/activity is a hugely important part of my life, so why wouldn't God be involved/interested?". Not my viewpoint, but one that I guess I can respect.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I believe the study being referenced learned that power transfer on the up stroke was not of significance when establishing the advantage of pedaling efficiency.

I "think" it referenced consistent and uniform placement of the foot in one place on the pedal accounted for the more efficient transfer of power. That is all.

Pretty sure that makes sense in the world of fact and reasoning.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Dig?

In the world the rest of us live in, studies are often undertaken by graduate students and university faculty as means of exploring a curiosity in their particular field and test a hypothesis. Sometimes they're done with little or no financing, sometimes with grant money, or in other cases simply to keep funding be exploring a question that hasn't been answered yet. Many are conducted as part of a doctoral dissertation. University studies usually have to undergo a peer reviewed vetting process as well as an ethics review in instances where human subjects are involved. Yes, studies often disprove other studies which is a way of actually furthering understanding but it isn't principle objective. You might have a point if the study was conducted by 5.10 or some 'independent lab', but I doubt they give a sh*t. DH racing isn't quite up there with the pharmaceutical industry just yet.

But then again you drew a comparison between pedaling a road bike and DH racing; hours of pedaling vs several seconds at a time. . . .

Feel free to share your scientifically detached examination in a different thread

Dig?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
In the world the rest of us live in, studies are often undertaken by graduate students and university faculty as means of exploring a curiosity in their particular field and test a hypothesis. Sometimes they're done with little or no financing, sometimes with grant money, or in other cases simply to keep funding be exploring a question that hasn't been answered yet. Many are conducted as part of a doctoral dissertation. University studies usually have to undergo a peer reviewed vetting process as well as an ethics review in instances where human subjects are involved. Yes, studies often disprove other studies which is a way of actually furthering understanding but it isn't principle objective. You might have a point if the study was conducted by 5.10 or some 'independent lab', but I doubt they give a sh*t. DH racing isn't quite up there with the pharmaceutical industry just yet.

But then again you drew a comparison between pedaling a road bike and DH racing; hours of pedaling vs several seconds at a time. . . .

Feel free to share your scientifically detached examination in a different thread

Dig?
agreed.
one last thing - if anyone wants to read the bikejames stuff on flats vs clips here are a few links. he used to have the slides up that he references but i don't see them anymore. i many have them on another computer though.

http://www.bikejames.com/cardio-training/the-science-behind-barefoot-pedaling/

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/Top-3-Clipless-Pedal-Myths-Building-a-Better-Pedal-Stroke.pdf

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
How a university sport science department does any research on cycling:

(not a computrainer in the study at hand).

The "gold standard" is an electromagnetically braked ergometer with a 15 pound flywheel. Most institutions use the same brand and model because even between calibrated instruments there are issues with precision.

What you do in a study like this:

-Recruit what is most likely "College-aged athletic males between 160-180 pounds". Expect rowers and football players. None of them are bicyclists.

-Take some measurements

-Put them on the "bike"

-Adjust the seat height based solely on knee angle

-Determine some stuff about how they metabolize crap and correlate it with how much they breathe and how much mechanical work they are doing with their legs(remember, you move all over the place when you're actually riding).

-Make them ride sitting down(only) with their tennis shoes stuck onto really slippery, narrow and tall pedals or clipless pedals that have been setup generically that the subject will only have a total of 2 hours of experience on at exactly 85rpms before the test.

-Ignore the fact that the force-production profile(torque curve, kinda) on an ergometer is absolutely different on a bicycle v. and ergometer.

-We have barely touched on experimental design but it doesn't matter any way because none of that pedaling resembles how anyone on earth rides a bike- They use ergometers.
Ergometers aren't bicycles.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I am not a remotely religious person, but the one counter to this that I've heard is something to the effect of: "God is very involved in my life and this sport/activity is a hugely important part of my life, so why wouldn't God be involved/interested?". Not my viewpoint, but one that I guess I can respect.
don't get me wrong, I understand the thought process of God fearers....I basically was born going to church, but seriously, sports people and their god thankin' is just laughable at best, sad for the most part. I want someone to get up and thank the flying spaghetti monster sometime.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Even with Gargantuan Pins and 1/2" deep 5.10 sticky rubber, how is the rider going to make full power between 9 and 12 on the clockface if he's not mechanically fastened?

I suggest trying to use "traction pins" and "sticky rubber" to connect your crankshaft to your connecting rod and see how efficient your engine runs, compared to an engine with mechanical fasteners.
I'll respond to the easiest and most blatently obvious here; you are correct, It is very dificult to generate power between the 9 and 12 position without being "mechanically" fastened to the bike...for a person riding with one leg...without the use of the other leg...which would be at the 3 to 6 position...which uses a muscle group that is the largest in the body...that can exert far more power than the the oposing muscle muscle group (hamstrings)...which is an anotomical fact.

Dug.

There is way more to it, and we could certainly produce information that would prove both sides partially correct but the person who yells the loudest over and over again is not always right.

I am of the belief (personal oppinion) that when it comes to DH, more is benefited from the riders feet being secured to the bike (one less thing to focus on) which increases control and maneuverability...if you look at the splits, he is not just winning in the pedaling sections.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
don't get me wrong, I understand the thought process of God fearers....I basically was born going to church, but seriously, sports people and their god thankin' is just laughable at best, sad for the most part. I want someone to get up and thank the flying spaghetti monster sometime.

This proves once and for all that god is a male. I see he has two balls.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'll respond to the easiest and most blatently obvious here; you are correct, It is very dificult to generate power between the 9 and 12 position without being "mechanically" fastened to the bike...for a person riding with one leg...without the use of the other leg...which would be at the 3 to 6 position...which uses a muscle group that is the largest in the body...that can exert far more power than the the oposing muscle muscle group (hamstrings)...which is an anotomical fact.

Dug.

There is way more to it, and we could certainly produce information that would prove both sides partially correct but the person who yells the loudest over and over again is not always right.

I am of the belief (personal oppinion) that when it comes to DH, more is benefited from the riders feet being secured to the bike (one less thing to focus on) which increases control and maneuverability...if you look at the splits, he is not just winning in the pedaling sections.
Totally agree. At the same time, I understand where a "BikeJames" is coming from. I think that way too many people get pushed into riding clipped in just because that's the way it's always been and not for any significant performance advantage. And I would absolutely argue that beginning mountain bikers are much better served learning on flat pedals because it does teach you to keep your weight on your feet and move with the terrain, as well as reducing anxiety about getting "stuck" on the bike.

Personally, I prefer clips just because I like my foot to be in exactly the same spot every time. Just like the consistency with the contact points.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Bottom line is, as proven in this thread, if you want to be fast...like WC fast, move in with the Housemans...or at least show up for dinner. Don't wait for an invite just take the initiative on your own..it shows that you want it more..even more than Gwin!

JT will be so impressed by your initiative, he will be forced to train you...it's a fact.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How a university sport science department does any research on cycling:

(not a computrainer in the study at hand).

The "gold standard" is an electromagnetically braked ergometer with a 15 pound flywheel. Most institutions use the same brand and model because even between calibrated instruments there are issues with precision.

What you do in a study like this:

-Recruit what is most likely "College-aged athletic males between 160-180 pounds". Expect rowers and football players. None of them are bicyclists.

-Take some measurements

-Put them on the "bike"

-Adjust the seat height based solely on knee angle

-Determine some stuff about how they metabolize crap and correlate it with how much they breathe and how much mechanical work they are doing with their legs(remember, you move all over the place when you're actually riding).

-Make them ride sitting down(only) with their tennis shoes stuck onto really slippery, narrow and tall pedals or clipless pedals that have been setup generically that the subject will only have a total of 2 hours of experience on at exactly 85rpms before the test.

-Ignore the fact that the force-production profile(torque curve, kinda) on an ergometer is absolutely different on a bicycle v. and ergometer.

-We have barely touched on experimental design but it doesn't matter any way because none of that pedaling resembles how anyone on earth rides a bike- They use ergometers.
Ergometers aren't bicycles.
Finally someone with some sense. People dont understand that a study comming up with a result doesnt mean nothing. If the results can be duplicated by numerous studies than it is prooven. One study in most cases prooves nothing (cold fusion anyone?) and many studies are done kinda sloppy. It happens even in my line of expertise (electronics) where minute differances make a differance. I know of one company who does its reserch on bio tech with scales up to a 0.1% of a gram but has open windows during the tests...

Not to mention - am I the only one who feels a bit more fatigue in the legs in flats as well as feels its easier to ride light in clipess. I recently made a switch to flats and I love it but Im not racer, though Im tempted to do a timed comparison (not that it would be acurate with me riding over a half of my life in spds)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
why should he be interested in something mankind invented? sports were there before the bible was written (greeks) , if it's important to THAT god it would be clearly mentioned in it...

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
You're suggesting that Georgia Tech has been financed (by whom?) to make an argument in favor of flat pedals?

And your belief that being clipped in is more efficient in a DH pedaling situation is based on...what?
Hey bubba... we're arguing logic here, not ebarker's opinion.

Tech's reason for doing the "study" was what, exactly? Who funded it?

You ascribe a nobility to "academic study" that isn't warranted, and I assume this is so because you believe in a myth about America, rather than how things work. "Science" proceeds in "academia" because of how moneymen want things to go. "Science" in America is science-ish whoredom. There are more scientifically bogus "studies" in America than there are legitimate bits of scientific knowledge advancement. Why? Because our system is premised on monetary power, not on truth. End of story.

Being clipped in is always more efficient if the activity in question is pedaling. This is mechanically true. A secure mechanical connection is more efficient than a manipulated temporary substitute for secure connection.

Does riding flats & 5.10s have a different feel, allowing for different types of rider/pedal pressures and weight transfers?

Yes, obviously the lack of secure mechanical connection allows for this.

I'm not saying flats riders need to change. I'm saying flats riders who want to optimize pedaling efficiency should change if they're worried about pedaling efficiency.

I'm also saying pedaling efficiency = saved energy for other things.

I don't think you can factually counter either position. But you're welcome to try. Just don't be pissed off when I point out you're talking opinions rather than facts, or "feel" rather than mechanical reality.

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land
I was thinking about this as well, but... by being able to "pull up" with the opposing leg, aren't you effectively reducing the amount of resistance for the 'quad powered' leg, which should in turn create more cumulative power?

I'm not an engineer, so I could be wrong. Would be curious to hear a technical explanation.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't think you can factually counter either position. But you're welcome to try. Just don't be pissed off when I point out you're talking opinions rather than facts, or "feel" rather than mechanical reality.
What if, given the dynamic nature of downhill racing, the most efficiency is gained from "not" being mechanically connected to the pedals. I don't recall ever seeing a WC run where clipless riders did not remove their feet from the pedals.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

You ascribe a nobility to "academic study" that isn't warranted, and I assume this is so because you believe in a myth about America, rather than how things work. "Science" proceeds in "academia" because of how moneymen want things to go. "Science" in America is science-ish whoredom. There are more scientifically bogus "studies" in America than there are legitimate bits of scientific knowledge advancement. . . . blah blah blah
Empirical evidence suggests an overuse of quotation marks makes you "annoying," and the inability to recognize your own "facts" as actually being "opinions" makes you sound like a "rhetard."

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

You ascribe a nobility to "academic study" that isn't warranted, and I assume this is so because you believe in a myth about America, rather than how things work. "Science" proceeds in "academia" because of how moneymen want things to go. "Science" in America is science-ish whoredom. There are more scientifically bogus "studies" in America than there are legitimate bits of scientific knowledge advancement. Why? Because our system is premised on monetary power, not on truth. End of story.
Hey buddy...

Unless you can tell me that you have personally been involved in academic study's where the result was influenced by the source of funding then STFU.

I really hope this guy is a troll.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jesus christ, who cares.......

Just go time yourself 20 times on a trail switching pedals and there's your answer.

Just make sure no one hands you a crank brothers or 5.10 sticker while you're doing it so that you know your results aren't biased :rofl:

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land
Empirical evidence suggests an overuse of parenthesis makes you "annoying," and the inability to recognize your own "facts" as actually being "opinions" makes you sound like a "rhetard."
Parentheses look like this ( or ), or even [ ] and { }. What you're referring to are quotation marks.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Parentheses look like this ( or ), or even [ ] and { }. What you're referring to are quotation marks. Try harder
The first ones are in fact parenthesis (my bad), but the second two are called brackets (you had it correct before you edited your post and added them for extra smart-ass factor). I'll try harder if you do.;)

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land
The first ones are in fact parenthesis (my bad), but the second two are called brackets (you had it correct before you edited your post and added them for extra smart-ass factor). I'll try harder if you do.;)
Brackets and curved brackets are a form of parenthetical punctuation. Then again, so are quotations, so I'll just assume you were being abstract the first time around.

Last edited: