Quantcast

mattyj

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
FINALLY!!!! What travel setting were you running it in?
Im in the 9.5 setting currently. The difference to me in the feeling from the 9" setting was comparable to taking some( just a pinch) of high speed damping out of the shock, but just the initial part of stroke. Kind of helped on square edges. Didnt seem to effect pedalling really. Havent done any hugs drops or anything but through some fast deep G-out ditches the back end felt bottomless.I havent run it in the 8.5 setting yet but plan to.

edit: does it matter where the washers/shims go on the dropouts?
I have my washers on the inboard side of the chain stay. that set the drop out width to exactly 150mm

a-rod

Chimp
Sep 28, 2010
Lancaster, CA
Im in the 9.5 setting currently. The difference to me in the feeling from the 9" setting was comparable to taking some( just a pinch) of high speed damping out of the shock, but just the initial part of stroke. Kind of helped on square edges. Didnt seem to effect pedalling really. Havent done any hugs drops or anything but through some fast deep G-out ditches the back end felt bottomless.I havent run it in the 8.5 setting yet but plan to.

I have my washers on the inboard side of the chain stay. that set the drop out width to exactly 150mm
Nice! Thanks man. Now I'm really drooling. :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
im glad to hear you thought it was a bit long. i was hoping it wouldnt be short like some other bikes out there. i prefer a longer bike
Damn, i felt like my small in the middle settings was a bit short! I put it in the long stay setting and it feels great. Another ride on it today (in 27f..ouch) and i am liking it more and more every ride as I get used to it. Wide bars seem to have helped a ton (had narrow ones on it). Still getting a bit wild on it when jumping coming out of a compression for some reason...i get tossed a bit off the back and front end comes up, but I'm used to a much longer top tube so that may explain it.

I'm running mine int he 9" setting now. I had it in the 9.5" setting when they shipped it to me, and It just didn't feel right. 1 change made all the difference in the world to me. Middle leverage ratio, long stays, 9" travel (middle) setting. 0 deg cup I believe in the headset.

Overall, i don't want to give Intense their bike back. :)

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
large Raw frame is 4125grams with 12mm Hadley axle and no shock. thats 356grams lighter than my Revolt...i thought the M9 was going to be heavier

edit: does it matter where the washers/shims go on the dropouts?
Doesn't matter. I think it's prettier on non-drive side.
Glad you got your bike man. Looks nude without the top tube decal...XXX

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do I spot E-Thirteen cranks?
nah, MRP Cambers

Doesn't matter. I think it's prettier on non-drive side.
Glad you got your bike man. Looks nude without the top tube decal...XXX
yeah i figured it didnt. i go them in there. one was tight, but worked fine after i worked it in there.

the bike's feels great so far. hopefully ill be able to get it dirty this weekend!

thanks for everything!

edit:why dont all companies do this?

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
nah, MRP Cambers

yeah i figured it didnt. i go them in there. one was tight, but worked fine after i worked it in there.

the bike's feels great so far. hopefully ill be able to get it dirty this weekend!

thanks for everything!

edit:why dont all companies do this?
because its hard to hold Mr. Ching accountable.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
damn thats a sexy build! hows the fork running? whats that "fast suspension cartridge" never heard of them...

edit: it looks like the elka cartridge? maybe? how does it ride?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how are others finding the rebound on the CCDB? i have the LSR closed off all the way and it still seems pretty fast.
i havent really ridden the bike yet on real trails, but during the ol' parking lot test, the rebound seems super fast

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
how are others finding the rebound on the CCDB? i have the LSR closed off all the way and it still seems pretty fast.
i havent really ridden the bike yet on real trails, but during the ol' parking lot test, the rebound seems super fast
Steve,

I don't know about the M9 - but from my experience with CCDB's on my bikes, you really cannot get a feel for the LS settings (like on Fox or RS) just by pushing on it or riding around the car park.

You need to do back to back runs on your local trail. What might feel fast jumping on it might feel totally different on the trail (and vice versa).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Steve,

I don't know about the M9 - but from my experience with CCDB's on my bikes, you really cannot get a feel for the LS settings (like on Fox or RS) just by pushing on it or riding around the car park.

You need to do back to back runs on your local trail. What might feel fast jumping on it might feel totally different on the trail (and vice versa).
This.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve,

the shock feels different then my Revolt does even in the parking lot. on that frame, i was able to tell a difference b/w the settings even just sitting on it.
after some proper thrashing on my new frame, the rebound does still seem a bit too fast for my liking, even at fully closed. it doesnt feel as fast as the "parking lot" test so you are right there.

ill have a short writeup on the bike tomorrow AM.

shorty story. its amazing

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the 450# Ti spring feels fine though and im getting enough sag. ive used most of the travel in the 9" setting too.
it wasnt out of control fast, just not what im used to riding.
How much do you weigh? I have my frame on order and want to get the ti spring. Just don't want to get stuck with a size way off.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How much do you weigh? I have my frame on order and want to get the ti spring. Just don't want to get stuck with a size way off.
220-225lbs. i had the Ti spring from another bike and i ordered the frame with a 500 steel spring which is the recommended size for the 9.5" travel setting.
the 450 feels great for my girth

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
the 450# Ti spring feels fine though and im getting enough sag. ive used most of the travel in the 9" setting too.
it wasnt out of control fast, just not what im used to riding.
If you're running your LS near closed, you may be running solely on the high speed rebound, especially with a 450 lb spring. I would try opening up the LS slightly and closing up the HS a bit. This should allow the LS to flow more oil. I'm no expert though, I'd email CC.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The HSR circuit does most of the work on the CCDB's. Try that instead.

Or if it's kicking out of holes, use some more compression.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IH8Rice will you ride yours at 9.5" mostly?
ill try it at 9.5", but i think 8.5 or 9" will be more than enough. in the longer travel setting, i wouldnt be able to use my Ti spring also

The HSR circuit does most of the work on the CCDB's. Try that instead.

Or if it's kicking out of holes, use some more compression.
ill give that a try next ride.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Mine should be here in a week or so. I will try all the travel settings and once I find the right one I will order a Ti spring

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Steve,

Wouldn't this be the other way around? My avalanche shocks seem pretty slow and unresponsive when pushing down, but at speed and on sharp impacts they react much faster than you'd think. What is apparent at slow speed and in the parking lot is the low-speed compression, but it's not indicitive of how the high speed reacts (but if it was an older fox, it would mean that the fox would be terrible at high speed).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i got about 16 runs in yesterday at the local shuttle hill (Mt Penn/Duryea Dr) on my new whip.
right off the bat, i could feel that the frame was much longer than my Revolt. in the middle G3 setting, my wheelbase was over a 1 3/8" longer than my Revolt was. it doesnt seem like a lot, but the size is noticeable. the 1/4" longer chainstay length might have contributed to that as well. it took about 2-3 runs to get used to the longer bike, but once i did, i found it to be very stable (obviously) and well planted. i was honestly surprised at how planted the bike was to the ground. i didnt hit any of the bigger jumps since i suck at jumping and im still trying to dial in the shock and get used to the frame itself. it took a few runs to get the bike's cog figured out too, so manualing over obstacles took a few tries. once i got used to the frame, i found it to do what i want and drifting the bike around turns proved to be very easy and well controlled even with trails covered in leaves.
i didnt make any other adjustments to the dropout yet since i found the middle setting to be ok so far even for how long it is.

i had the -1* Angleset cup installed and felt it was a bit too slack for the local trails (which isnt anything steep.) i used the Clinometer app for my Iphone and it came out to 60* which i cant perceive to be right. i had my 888 Evo Ti slammed all the way down too to help with the head angle.
I only ran the bike in the 9" setting and in the middle progression adjustment and found that to be a-okay. im anxious to get the bike to a real mountain to test out the travel settings and progression adjustments for real. that being said, i did use all of the 9" but did not feel any harsh bottom outs. the CCDB performed fantastic as expected, but like i mentioned previously, i would still like the LSR to be a bit slower. on the next ride ill be making more adjustments to the HSR as advised here.

a pet peeve of mine has always been to have a quiet running bike. with a few pieces of velcro, the bike was damn near silent. ive had loud bikes in the past (all my Foes frames) and some other quiet ones (Revolt) but this one seems totally silent. i know thats not a selling point for most people, but like i said, its something i hate.

pedaling the bike in the rock gardens also proved to be better than any of the others bikes ive had. i didnt have to worry about a rock grabbing a pedal and stopping me in my tracks. the 170mm MRP Camber cranks did not feel "long" like they did on some other frames. i didnt notice any brake jack either but the trails werent anything too serious to test out hard braking.

the frame can take a beating too. i put a nice size dent in the DT, but it doesnt look like anything serious or would effect the frame.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
ouch, you put a dent in the downtube first ride? you do that to all your frames don't you though

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ouch, you put a dent in the downtube first ride? you do that to all your frames don't you though
its was gonna happen sooner or later. it does sucks it happened first day :mad:
a lot of the mountains here in the east have lots of loose rocks, so sh1t happens.
i also nicked a weld, but theres plenty of weld material there to not worry about it

khoolhandz

Chimp
Jul 27, 2006
I LOVE SURREY
a pet peeve of mine has always been to have a quiet running bike. with a few pieces of velcro, the bike was damn near silent. ive had loud bikes in the past (all my Foes frames) and some other quiet ones (Revolt) but this one seems totally silent. i know thats not a selling point for most people, but like i said, its something i hate.
I'm confused with your statement above. Do you Like or Hate a quiet running bike?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited: