RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Camping reservation made near the giant heads for aug 25. Contemplating a reservation in the Pawnee Grasslands the night before just to make it a 3 day leisurely ride so I can stop at a couple different Oregon Trail historic spots and not feel rushed. Excitement is building.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone drop yet? By then the Frau will be tired of having me laying about...
I'm debating driving out to do a few rides (out and backs) and sit around the camp and drink all ur beerz, if so, I could shuttle some gear for any extra point to point riders

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I got to start planning the logistics for this trip. Anyone flew with a bike to Bismarck on American Eagle? None of the good airlines fly there from Boston/Manchester/Providence.

I assume it will be possible to have the bike shipped there instead? I guess I'll need to speak with Jen about the option.

Just to recap, the plan looks like this, correct?

Thu - get our asses to the area
Fri - prep day at DC shop
Sat, Sun, Mon - the joy days
Tue - packing & departure

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Anyone flew with a bike to Bismarck on American Eagle? None of the good airlines fly there from Boston/Manchester/Providence.
Not to imply that we are a good airline, because that's certainly up in the air (no pun intended), but we have flights to Bismark through both Minneapolis and Denver. Not sure if MSP is United or Delta, but it's there. You could fly into DEN on United and probably hitch a ride with Full Trucker, or if it comes to it, I can drive the ///jeep and pick you up. Or COS on united.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not to imply that we are a good airline, because that's certainly up in the air (no pun intended), but we have flights to Bismark through both Minneapolis and Denver. Not sure if MSP is United or Delta, but it's there. You could fly into DEN on United and probably hitch a ride with Full Trucker, or if it comes to it, I can drive the ///jeep and pick you up. Or COS on united.
Thank you for the offer! Which airlined are you with btw? :D I will be time constrained unfortunately, I need to get in and out as quickly as possible. :(

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
hey gang ... I'm officially OUT for this ride. (cue fulltrucker...) I have limited time this month, it just isn't the highest on my list.

I know @johnbryanpeters friend @Bunnista expressed interest in going, so they get dibs / right of first refusal.

Have fun !!
Did you pay a deposit way back when? If so, wondering if you can transfer that deposit to the first person who gives you $50. And bummer you can't make it, man. It's gonna be fun!

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So what is the roster anyway?
Good question. I think the innies (with current known dropouts) is:

@johnbryanpeters
Lisa (non-monkey, traveling with JBP?)
@Full Trucker
@TreeSaw
Earl (Former Monkey)
@StiHacka

Fencepost sitter:

@Pesqueeb

Outies are:
@Nick
@4xBoy

I am possibly available for support/sag work...or to even ride.
Support/Sag is covered by Dakota Cyclery, so far as I know. At least, that is what I'm shelling over my hard earned duckets to them for.

Just gotta get it past the Boss first.
So yeah... you should ride, man! Make it so!

Who else was interested? Was it @Heidi who wanted to know if anyone dropped out?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Maybe I misunderstood. I'm taking the moto to do this trip, probably can't do Monarch, depending on what happens with the house/hail damage here in the next week.
Oh the MONARCH trip! Jesus, FT... read your emails. Sorry everyone, 'Squeeb had sent an email to a group of us doing a different trip and I got real confused like. Dis roster be like...

Innies:
@johnbryanpeters
@Full Trucker
@TreeSaw
Earl (Former Monkey)
@StiHacka
@Pesqueeb

Outies:
@Nick
@4xBoy

And if any of ya'll wanna fly in to Denver and roadtrip with me, lemme know.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Oh the MONARCH trip! Jesus, FT... read your emails. Sorry everyone, 'Squeeb had sent an email to a group of us doing a different trip and I got real confused like. Dis roster be like...

Innies:
@johnbryanpeters
@Full Trucker
@TreeSaw
Earl (Former Monkey)
@StiHacka
@Pesqueeb

Outies:
@Nick
@4xBoy

I'm 66.6% in (just a 6 drive for me) but wasn't planning on using shuttle service but may be persuaded if you guys need to fill up their shuttle rig...

Still working on summer conditioning.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm so far behind at this point I'm not going to catch up. Wife is back at school but kid doesn't start for two more weeks, so I'm not going to be getting any riding in. Frankly if I don't die, I'll consider it a success.
Trust me, I'm a "slow & steady wins the race" kinda gal. JBP, Sq-Earl & I were talking about it this past weekend. I don't ride fast, but steady and plan on enjoying the ride...not killing myself to break any records ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Creating my packing list....I plan on gathering food and beverages for us when we arrive in Medora. Sounding llike JBP, Sq-Earl & I will drive out and arrive for a rest/prep day on Friday. Ride Sat-Sun-Mon, rest and pack up then depart on Tues/Wed for home.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003

Innies:
@johnbryanpeters
@Full Trucker
@TreeSaw
Earl (Former Monkey)
@StiHacka
@Pesqueeb

Outies:
@Nick
@4xBoy

I don't think Lisa is doing the supported ride part. She lives out there and may drop in for a day, but I believe that's it.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
@johnbryanpeters correct me if I'm wrong but I think we can fill the van will 9 so, @JohnE and @Montana rider its looking like there would be room for both of you if you're ready to commit!
I'm fine waiting til Monday (re: paying) if bunnista or others are still on the fence.

I will take the 9th spot (if available) otherwise I'll stick with my original plan to do out and back sections each day.

Has anyone inquired re: transferring deposits? Happy to put $50 in the mail to a dropout who pre-paid next week...

My only hesitancy is that I tend to car camp "heavy" and will have to restrain myself if I'm "on the bus"

RE: Food & beer, I am planning to bring:

6? 6-packs of MT Microbrew (porters/stouts/ipas mostly but speak up if you prefer other flavors
1 giant salmon filet for first meal/salmon burritos on the trail
Mexican food ingredients
vacu-sealed smoked salmon chowdah (if I can find it)
a few loaves of homemade sourdough
a few bars of dark chocolate
some other MT "goodies"

Other stuff:
I'm happy to bring our two burner coleman stove if need be but it sounds like we may have stoves covered?.
Are we dry camping or should I bring a sun shower?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I haven't even thought about food for the trip yet, but I am definitely planning on bringing plenty of Colorado microbrew for quaffing and sharing. I'm a giv'r.
I tend to car camp "heavy"...
Same here, pretty heavy on the car glamping as well. My plan is to bring all my stuff, then pretty much sort it out onsite when we see what everyone has and how much room we have. One non-negotiable item that will be going is my camping press pot. Maybe both of them.
Are you friends with bikini models? :cheers:
I am, but they only ride IMBA-approved trails. ;)

@Pesqueeb I know you're traveling on the moto, but let me know if you need me to take anything for you. Since @Nick bailed I've got plenty of room. KAPLOW.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Has anyone inquired re: transferring deposits? Happy to put $50 in the mail to a dropout who pre-paid next week...
when I called many months ago to lay down my deposit, I spoke to a woman who said it wasn't necessary at the time since we had so many, plus she was at the hospital with a family member and didn't want to mess with it at the time.

I'd say check with her to be safe, but I'm thinking the full ride was secured long ago.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Creating my packing list....I plan on gathering food and beverages for us when we arrive in Medora. Sounding llike JBP, Sq-Earl & I will drive out and arrive for a rest/prep day on Friday. Ride Sat-Sun-Mon, rest and pack up then depart on Tues/Wed for home.
I'm going to be staying at Mt. Rushmore Thursday night. Looking at a lunch time arrival on Friday.

@Pesqueeb I know you're traveling on the moto, but let me know if you need me to take anything for you.
Thanks man. I *think* I'm going to be okay. I've camped quite comfortably off the back of the bike for longer periods of time, but I've also not ever hauled a mountain bike before. When I get the house to myself again next week I really need to outfit the moto and make sure this is still true.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
ps. Where are folks staying prior? Hotels seem pricey $100-200 so I started poking around for pre-trip camping accommodations and the Medora campground map doesn't look very enticing (i.e. urban KOA-style camping)

http://medora.com/data/upfiles/media/2016 campground map colored.pdf

Red Tail looks similar, so I'm leaning towards trying to find something in Sully Creek which has a lot more space between sites (and just a little further outside of town.) It's also a jumping off point for the continuation trail of the MDH (The Deuce) which I might try to ride a portion of on Friday to stretch the legs...

Sully Creek:
http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/parks/scsp/scsp.html

https://apps.nd.gov/pnr/sp/services/public/reserve/mapview.htm?park=18&arrivalDate=&nights=&returnto=mapview&campsite=true&cabin=true&meetingHall=false&shelter=false

I'm planning to drive out on Thursday earlyish...

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
ps. Where are folks staying prior? Hotels seem pricey $100-200 so I started poking around for pre-trip camping accommodations and the Medora campground map doesn't look very enticing (i.e. urban KOA-style camping)
I'm going to need a follow up on this as well. I have literally nothing planned beyond Rushmore on Thursday.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm planning to drive out on Thursday earlyish...
That state park looks good for Friday camping, I'm amenable to doing that. I haven't thought about when I would leave and travel, I guess I'm torn between a Thursday and Friday departure. Thursday would allow me to be more leisurely, maybe even getting a ride in somewhere on the way. It think there's some good stuff in Spearfish, SD? Friday would be an asscrackadawn departure to make it to Medora by mid-afternoon. I can see no upside to that except sleeping in my own bed Thursday night.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm going to need a follow up on this as well. I have literally nothing planned beyond Rushmore on Thursday.
Same here, I am ready to join a larger group of squatters somewhere on Friday and Monday. I'll get beer and food on my way to Medora in Bismarck.