Quantcast

Massanutten DH Race Questions

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
CHOP said:
Yes, it did get blown out last year. Not sure that course has ever seen that many riders in a 2 day period as it did last year. We have done some work and fixed a major problem area. George has a few things he is going to work on. Dink and I are also going to get up there a few more times before the race.
Thanks for the work dude! :thumb:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
bizutch said:
hatin' on anything you didn't manicure huh?

hehe, actually bizutch, the locals have been calling it mass-of-nothin' for decades. More referring to the skiing/snowboarding though. :)

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I have never been to Massanutten. Are there any rooms left? Is camping a good choice?

Whats the temperature like on the mountain this time of year?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
haromtnbiker said:
I have never been to Massanutten. Are there any rooms left? Is camping a good choice?

Whats the temperature like on the mountain this time of year?

I'm sure there are rooms left, $65 total a night. call (540) 289-4914 and tell them you are with the race.

as for weather.......... Linky

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Fresh news from www.Racersedgeonline.com read below;

Word on the Hill
It’s been a while since we’ve posted any fresh information about what’s to come for the 2006 Mid-Atlantic Cup. The truth is, we’ve been extremely busy finalizing details for the up-coming season. After hurdling a jam-packed race schedule, infected computers, bogus cell phones and the inevitable, lack of time in a day, we are finally ready to share some good news!
The series dates have all been finalized and work on the eight different courses has already begun. Thanks to those of you who replied to our various poles, we have made decisions on the format for the much anticipated, City Bikes Capital Cup to be hosted by Whitetail Resort, June 23-25 2006.
This year’s Mid-Atlantic Cup will consist of five races, scheduled amongst four venues in four weekends. Champions will be determined by the best, four out of five finishes for Downhill and by all three finishes for Dual. Mid-Atlantic Cup series final at Bear Creek will be worth “double points”. Mountain cross will be replaced by Dual, which will utilize a “Y” format, giving the racer a little bit of old school slalom served with a side dish of mountain cross.
The City Bikes Capital Cup will consist of two separate but inclusive events. Two racecourses will be run, over the span of two days to determine the Capital Cup Champion, with the second day’s course solely determining the Maryland State Champion. Racers may choose to race one or both events and those who compete for the Capital Cup will be awarded points for two of the five races that will determine the over-all MAC champion. A semi-formal awards banquet, where all series champions will be crowned, is being scheduled to take place in conjunction with the Reading Racing 2006 Duryea Downhill. More details will be announced soon.
To date, over $45,000 in cash and prizes has been raised for the series! All of which will be awarded to the fastest racers in each class. Pros will compete for a guaranteed first place prize of no less than $500 with a large bonus going to the series champion. All series champions will receive a leader jersey complements of the Hot Shoppe, be sure to check out the sample at up-coming events.
Course construction will continue at Whitetail resort for the next two Sundays. Interested volunteers should contact Mike Hartlove (theracersedge@comcast.net) to set up dates and times. Huge props go out to Marvin, Fred, Dane, Patrick and Will, who all came out last week and busted their humps. Thanks to this crew, course #1 is just about complete and ready to ride.
Massanutten is less than three weeks away and we hope to see you all there

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
looks like the weather is going to be nice :thumb:

Friday (24 hours): Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s.
Saturday (24 hours): Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
manimal said:
blasphemy!! the weather-dude is NEVER wrong!!! :rolleyes: :D
here is the real weather from the last 5 years.
Friday night...mysterious fog and misting rain. Wet course Sat AM.

By 9am..course turns to powdery fine mulch and super deep berms and ridiculously high speeds.

At exactly 12:21, my start time and or just prior to my start time...steady rain with random downpour that finishes, just before Vet Expert gets on course.

Sports sit in parking lot and give death stories and "DUDDDE" statements about their hardtail drag races on what was the perfect course for them!

You're welcome!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Hey,

Who Remembers

What about the thunderstorm with riders at the top. We had to Call
the last part of the race off. The Beg. and Hardtails probaly did not
get in the race run.

Lets hope the the weather does not spoil the riders fun.

A quick reminder to drive the speed limit at all times. They
run radar on all roads in the resort and usually while traveling
downhill.

Also We have a indoor waterpark with a $11.00 Buffet at night.
The smokeless bar has a few TV s and arcade.

We can enjoy the above without paying the waterpark admission charge.
It is all located under one roof. A mile up from the Exxon station on
the right.

Thunderbird Diner and Romano's have opened in the same shopping
center on the way to Harrisonburg. Only 2 miles from the Exxon
traveling 33 west toward Harrisonburg. The small shopping center
is located on the left side off Island Ford Road.

Any other questions??

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
corey i'll buy a tshirt from you

who else here is camping on the slopes? we could have a bonfire after practice (idk if that's allowed but what the hell)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
metalMTB said:
who else here is camping on the slopes? we could have a bonfire after practice (idk if that's allowed but what the hell)

My wife and I are camping in George Washington National Forest which is very close by but I'm not exactly sure where yet. In the National Forests you just have to drive around until you find a good spot and pull over and pitch a tent. We plan on coming up early Friday and staking out our spot and then heading over to get a few practice runs in. I'll be racing Saturday obviously and probably doing a trail ride on Sunday in the National Forest. Should be a fun weekend.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
MancilG said:
I'm leaving right after the race on saturday, I'm going to miss my little boy
My mom and son are coming up to watch the race. It is really cool knowing he is at the finish line waiting to cheer me on.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i had planned on bringing the wife and kid, but it'll be tough for her dealing with a 9mth old with no real facilities for napping/feeding/etc ... they'll be coming to the US Open though!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
My wife is coming up Friday night to partake in some of the evening grilling and fellowship.

I wouldn't razz her too much, as she is a physical therapist, so some of us may actually need to use her services! :eek:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
sirknight6 said:
My wife is coming up Friday night to partake in some of the evening grilling and fellowship.

I wouldn't razz her too much, as she is a physical therapist, so some of us may actually need to use her services! :eek:

You mean we finally get to meet this "wife" of yours?

I still think she doesnt exist........ I bet "somthing comes up" and she cant make it at the last minute :D

So far the only proof of her I have is that she pre-writes your checks for you ;)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
You mean we finally get to meet this "wife" of yours?

I still think she doesnt exist........ I bet "somthing comes up" and she cant make it at the last minute :D

So far the only proof of her I have is that she pre-writes your checks for you ;)

'Scuse me, just signs 'em! There blank! :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Does anybody know roughly when each class will start and in which order they will run? I know it's impossible to say exactly. Thanks.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
jdschall said:
Does anybody know roughly when each class will start and in which order they will run? I know it's impossible to say exactly. Thanks.
I assume in this order:

Pro/Expert
Beginner & Sport
Junior Export
Junior Beginner & Sport
Hardtail

If I am wrong, someone let me know :D

And I have a question to all who have ridden out there before. If you just cruz down, how long does it take to get from the top of the course to the bottom, assuming they use the same trail?

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
average race time for sport was like 4:15

it was my first race last year and i did it on a hardtail and got 5:20

i'm sure i can get 4 min. flat now

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
manimal said:
looks like the weather is going to be nice :thumb:

Friday (24 hours): Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s.
Saturday (24 hours): Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Damn you! http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Harrisonburg&state=VA&site=LWX Damn you I say!

Friday: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high around 67. West wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday Night: A chance of showers, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of showers, mainly after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 68. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low near 52. Chance of precipitation is 40%.