Quantcast

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i'm workin on it! i gotta start getting podiums in cat 1 first
so what your saying is your not fast enough to race pro so your still racing cat 1? just because your not winning races doesn't mean your not good enough for pro, sand bagger.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
After my year in 2009 I moved up to pro in 2010, did I win? no, did I podium? no, did I get hurt trying? yes, I got hurt a lot last year! did I throw a hissy fit when I got beat? no. But I did go out and give it my best, I think you guys should give it your all in the GES series and see where you stand and go from there.

and yes justin your bars are not to hight your BB is.:D

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
After my year in 2009 I moved up to pro in 2010, did I win? no, did I podium? no, did I get hurt trying? yes, I got hurt a lot last year! did I throw a hissy fit when I got beat? no. But I did go out and give it my best, I think you guys should give it your all in the GES series and see where you stand and go from there.

and yes justin your bars are not to hight your BB is.:D
I do plan to race all the GES, and personally i think im not going to do as well there-after all, it will be my first time at most of those locations. I will be doing the diablo series, in AM, its not worth donating 65 a race to fuel a lift and get killed trying. My GOAL is pro by next year, im HOPING GES goes well, and if i can improve my diablo DH results, maybe ill be able to get a pro license, but we will see. I wont speak for travis, but i would think his plan is the same or similar.

Edit-i DID move up from jr to sr, i havent being doing as well in sr, and a big part of where i end up in the series, is that i do all the races, there are lots of guys that come in and do well in a race or three, but if you dont hit them all, you dont stand a chance

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
All i can gather, is that people on the internet are either loosing in 1 of those categories and want all the fast guys out, or seems to think i am a pro (and going by the tags i dont think its that 1) I am not a pro
No you definately are not pro (not a knock i think you agree)

I think that the only argument here, and tell me if im wrong. is that diablo lacks decent sanctioning and has a very limited number of classes, thus there are only 2 spots for people to race, either Pro or what ever else its called that you guys are racing (i dont think its fair from a national or ever worse at an international level to call your class cat 1) so "decent" riders only have 2 options, work and place near the bottom, or just keep doing what your doing and podium or atleast finish top 5.

if you race for fun and prizes stay where you are.

if you race for pride move up.

nope, but it is the slowest guys hating on everybody, if you noticed that trend
??????

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

I think that the only argument here, and tell me if im wrong. is that diablo lacks decent sanctioning and has a very limited number of classes, thus there are only 2 spots for people to race, either Pro or what ever else its called that you guys are racing (i dont think its fair from a national or ever worse at an international level to call your class cat 1) so "decent" riders only have 2 options, work and place near the bottom, or just keep doing what your doing and podium or atleast finish top 5.

??????
i will agree to an extent, i think diablo DOES need more classes, but its real problem, is that sport is mixed with expert. The people in the bottom of the class, were kicked there from doing 1 year in intro (the limit) you have people that may totally suck (and i dont mean it in a bad way) vs me and better. I can get between 5th and 1st most races, which is good, and i am usually sub 3 seconds off the top spot (usually) The guys below my area (that i will call "sport") usually range from 5-20 seconds back. I think the main problem, is lacking a sport class, as i have posted many times (not here)

If you look at average race times, if the winner has a 3.00, there is a chunk in the 3.00-3.10 area, than usually a bigger gap to the 3.20-4.00 area, if they chopped the class in half (based on skill/times) We wouldnt be accused of sandbagging, because it would be me and 5-10 other guys in my skill range, than the people that race all year, and never get a single top 10, would be competitive in their own class. Same thing could be accomplished if they took the top half and created semi pro.

Although it sounds easy, im sure there is more to it, prizes have to get increased, maybe insurance? timers? event organizers? I am not sure, it may be totally not worth it to diablo, i wont pretend to know any of the demographics behind it, but id like to see it split (and not just to appease you fools)

FROM DIABLO WEBSITE

Intro (Introductory) Category:
This race category is geared towards beginner – low intermediate downhill riders that are looking to experience their FIRST season of downhill racing in a competitive but fun environment. The focus on this category is for riders to develop basic racing skills and confidence before moving up to the highly-competitive Amateur Class. In this class you will race the same course as other categories, but will have the option of taking slower, less technical lines around difficult terrain. The Intro category is competitive, but based on having fun!

Amateur Category:
The Amateur Category is designed to increase the level of competition between experienced downhill racers that typically compete in ‘Sport’ & ‘Expert’ categories. The top men and women in this category will receive points toward the overall series and high-end product prizes.

PRO Category:
The Open/PRO class is geared toward experienced veteran downhill racers that typically place high in traditional ‘Expert’, ‘Semi-Pro’ and ‘Pro’ Categories. The top men and women in this category will receive points toward the overall series and cash prizes based on their performance.

The result of this, is that everything gets pushed "down" 1 class. If it all went 100% acording to plan, it would "mesh" together nicely, but since nobody in the pro class is anything short of a full dice pinned pro, the average fast guys get my class, and the "slow" guys get shut out.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so what your saying is your not fast enough to race pro so your still racing cat 1? just because your not winning races doesn't mean your not good enough for pro, sand bagger.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
eh? miss the part where i indicated i had just moved up to cat 1 last season? and that i was bottom of the results near every race?

also, i haven't accused anyone of being a sandbagger. demo9 essentially admitted it.

edit: also, re-read what i've stated. i never said "not winning races doesn't mean your not good enough for pro"... what I actually said was....

there's a difference between winning a single race, and having overall good performance. a person could win a race because everyone else crashed - which is a total fluke, and it doesn't mean they should move up. If you have consistent podiums, then you're probably ready.
No where have I claimed to be doing either since I moved up to cat 1.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
nope, but it is the slowest guys hating on everybody, if you noticed that trend
slowest in my class maybe. slow, hardly. senior cat 1 (usac age group 19-29) is one of the largest (typically 20 or so guys, had a few races last year that were above 30) and most competitive categories, along with jr x, and the only faster group is pro.

then again, i'm not the one trying to justify racing down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

??????
it's debatable whether or not they need more classes. the bigger issue is that A) they have no licensing system, which leads to B) other than age and intro class, there's no regulations as to what class people race in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I do plan to race all the GES, and personally i think im not going to do as well there-after all, it will be my first time at most of those locations. I will be doing the diablo series, in AM, its not worth donating 65 a race to fuel a lift and get killed trying. My GOAL is pro by next year, im HOPING GES goes well, and if i can improve my diablo DH results, maybe ill be able to get a pro license, but we will see. I wont speak for travis, but i would think his plan is the same or similar.

Edit-i DID move up from jr to sr, i havent being doing as well in sr, and a big part of where i end up in the series, is that i do all the races, there are lots of guys that come in and do well in a race or three, but if you dont hit them all, you dont stand a chance
drop the whole "if i don't win my entree fees are just a donation to the mountain" attitude. it makes you come across as having a major sense of entitlement. if everyone had that mindset, there wouldn't be enough racers for mountains to justify putting on races. at the end of the day, running a ski/mtb mountain with a lift(s) is a BUSINESS. Businesses need to make money to survive, it isn't charity work.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
drop the whole "if i don't win my entree fees are just a donation to the mountain" attitude. it makes you come across as having a major sense of entitlement. if everyone had that mindset, there wouldn't be enough racers for mountains to justify putting on races. at the end of the day, running a ski/mtb mountain with a lift(s) is a BUSINESS. Businesses need to make money to survive, it isn't charity work.
-Justin:

What about the other guys in the category that are not placing? Are they just pissing their money away too? If this is how it works there would only be a large group of people at the sign in table waiting to see who signs up. The fastest 3 guys would be the only ones in the class so they can make their money back right?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
-Justin:

What about the other guys in the category that are not placing? Are they just pissing their money away too? If this is how it works there would only be a large group of people at the sign in table waiting to see who signs up. The fastest 3 guys would be the only ones in the class so they can make their money back right?
Yes. If you cant make your money back don't race. Racing is more about gambling if anything. I don't want to race unless I think I can come out with my money back.:rofl:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im not slow, but Im not real fast either, dont race myself, pay for lift tickets all over when i ride because I ride for fun, and I have to pay for lifts. Im not donating, Im paying for lift access, thats plenty cool.

Do you snowboard/ski? Race? Pay for your riding with your winnings there?

Really silly 'argument'.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Yes. If you cant make your money back don't race. Racing is more about gambling if anything. I don't want to race unless I think I can come out with my money back.:rofl:
Thats just about the definition of professional. If you feel you have a good chance of podiuming, then you are sandbagging no doubt. Whereas when you compete in pro, compensation is your goal through prizes and sponsorships earned via performance.

If you think thats Ok, well thats one thing, but its definitely sandbagging and its definitely poor sportsmanship.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
-Justin:

Thats the part i disagree with, however, i dont see why because there are X slow guys in my class (and remember im not dominating it) I need to move up to pro; get absolutely demolished. I could see it if i had a little tiny bit of a chance, but i compared my times, its not like i lost by a second or two, it was 10-15. I will also go out on a limb (for those that went here) that the guys in my class should "train and hit the gym" because realistically, they can shave off 5 seconds and be very competitive, there is no saving 15 seconds at the gym for me. (if i even took it seriously enough to do that) I find it comical that everybody here is saying im slow and not pro material, than flipping their words and telling me to race up and get demolished. I dont race to get tons of money and sandbag the class, i do WANT to do pro, that wont happen this year. When i enter a race (right or wrong) i want to have some chance, i dont want to enter intro, nor will i put pinks against sam hill. I race against the guys that are about my skill level, because (and nobody seems to acknowledge this) i dont win DH races, thats the irony of this, your on here pissed off i got a few bikes from diablo, so your telling me to race up, even though i dont win the races. Not only do i not win, but i dont stand a chance in pro (based on last years times, and im not getting any faster) and yet i belong in pro? With that logic anybody on here that is not in pro belongs in pro with me.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
i dont win DH races, thats the irony of this, your on here pissed off i got a few bikes from diablo, so your telling me to race up, even though i dont win the races.
As a generality, even if you're not winning a lot of individual races, if you're doing well enough to win bikes (multiple) as part of a race series, then yes, you probably are sandbagging.

Additionally, I don't understand the mindset that you don't want to move up in classification until your times compare to the top pro times at the same race. Of course even the winning time for ams, even cat 1, should be a bit slower than the winning time for pro class, otherwise what's the point of classification?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As a generality, even if you're not winning a lot of individual races, if you're doing well enough to win bikes (multiple) as part of a race series, then yes, you probably are sandbagging.

Additionally, I don't understand the mindset that you don't want to move up in classification until your times compare to the top pro times at the same race. Of course even the winning time for ams, even cat 1, should be a bit slower than the winning time for pro class, otherwise what's the point of classification?
maybe he just took Ricky Bobby's "If you ain't first, you're last" a little too literally

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

this is my logic, i won the JR series (and only because foxrox broke his arm) Thats jamis #1 (i probably would have had 2nd) I won us open-its my best track, might as well be made for me, thats bike #2. This year in the series, i went 2, 3, 8, DNF, 4. Alot of the series, is showing up, there were people in 3-5 overall that didnt do well, but in the words of diablo, your rewarded and encouraged to show up. I dominate slalom, so im going to have to see what i do there, but DH not so much. (and it doesnt help in fat and outa shape :rofl:) There are guys that race the DH only, do quite well, but never race slalom (nobody does, its 4 guys alot of the time) They can win every single race they enter, and place nowhere near the top. I got 3rd overall this year in DH, 1st in slalom, 2nd overall. the guy that did win, won almost all the DH races, and top 3'd every slalom. ***The main reason why i win slalom, is because im the only guy willing to jump the triple, let alone not ride a full dice DH bike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
nobody has said that

that was your buddy foxrox, no one else....
and tetreault, the tags, and there were more IIRC. I am not sure if your all (nd this isnt pointed at any single person) flaming me because im a young kid that bought alot of bikes-(and only JK knows anything bout that) maybe some of you are the guys that race at diablo that dont want anybody in the class so you can collect prizes and build up bikes, im not too sure. I spent 3 years in AM before i got my first podium which only happened AFTER they split am into jr and sr because of people complaining about the little kids beating them. I also spent alot of time hurt from riding above my skill level, but since Hcor days and the stigmata race(aug 05), i have been in AM, and i worked my way from the bottom to almost at the top. I probably have more "wasted" races than "sandbagged" races (which isnt even close to sandbagging anyway)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, you catch a lot of flak because you ask a lot of incessant trivial questions without trying things for yourself first.

edit: you're getting close to golgiaparatus question status :D

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
no, you catch a lot of flak because you ask a lot of incessant trivial questions without trying things for yourself first.
Am i getting hated on for the actual question for the last 6 pages of the thread? Its all about "lets hate demo 9 because he has more bikes than me that he won, thats wrong because i dont like him, he doesnt deserve them since he doesnt ride 3-4 days a week, they dont get used, he is a pozer, i deserve them more" Not directed at you

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

edit: you're getting close to golgiaparatus question status :D
Am i getting hated on for the actual question for the last 6 pages of the thread? Its all about "lets hate demo 9 because he has more bikes than me that he won, thats wrong because i dont like him, he doesnt deserve them since he doesnt ride 3-4 days a week, they dont get used, he is a pozer, i deserve them more" Not directed at you
No, JK explained why you are getting hated on.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
and tetreault, the tags, and there were more IIRC. I am not sure if your all (nd this isnt pointed at any single person) flaming me because im a young kid that bought alot of bikes-(and only JK knows anything bout that) maybe some of you are the guys that race at diablo that dont want anybody in the class so you can collect prizes and build up bikes, im not too sure. I spent 3 years in AM before i got my first podium which only happened AFTER they split am into jr and sr because of people complaining about the little kids beating them. I also spent alot of time hurt from riding above my skill level, but since Hcor days and the stigmata race(aug 05), i have been in AM, and i worked my way from the bottom to almost at the top. I probably have more "wasted" races than "sandbagged" races (which isnt even close to sandbagging anyway)
I think it has more to do with the fact that you feel entitled to win something every time you show up or you consider the race "wasted."

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I think it has more to do with the fact that you feel entitled to win something every time you show up or you consider the race "wasted."
not the case, improper wording, i feel entitled to a POSSIBILITY OR CHANCE. I am going to assume that most people enter the race that their class is. I know i wont enter US open pro, because it will be a work of god if i even qualify. I dont think anybody here would enter a race with sam hill, not even for "pride" Its not that i wont enter if i wont win. (im racing the GE, anybody on the coast in CAT 1 isnt slower than me, probably the opposite, and my fitness is atrocious) Even if i were to win every race, its still a loosing battle between gas/hotels/parts ect. Luckily my parents support me racing, and are going to help me through it. I feel that if i am entering a race, i should be ENTITLED to a chance or possibility, if this wasnt the case, there would b 1 class, with 1 winner, sam hill.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
You guys sure have a lot of drama in new jersey.

So the kid has a lot of bikes? Wouldn't we all if we could?

Looking at the results he posted, it doesn't look like he's sandbagging to me.

I don't get the problem?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I spent 1 year in intro which was in 2007 (I had no idea what I was doing on a DH bike yet racing one) 1 year in AM and got 1 podium and took 5th overall. Next year I set out to win AM, won all of AM (worst placing was a 3rd because of a crash) and then this past year I turned pro. Am I on the same level as the top pro guys? no but Ill get there, only gwin and a hand full of people jump into pro and be competitive. What do do you think is going thru the guys heads that get top 70 at WC's? Think they are gonna stop racing WC's and race local races and hopefully win? no they are gonna go out there and give it all they have to get better.

I guess I should have stayed in AM and won more parts and bikes... Think I can drop down?

Ok im signing out of this thread, takes up to much GTL time.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
not the case, improper wording, i feel entitled to a POSSIBILITY OR CHANCE. I am going to assume that most people enter the race that their class is. I know i wont enter US open pro, because it will be a work of god if i even qualify. I dont think anybody here would enter a race with sam hill, not even for "pride" Its not that i wont enter if i wont win. (im racing the GE, anybody on the coast in CAT 1 isnt slower than me, probably the opposite, and my fitness is atrocious) Even if i were to win every race, its still a loosing battle between gas/hotels/parts ect. Luckily my parents support me racing, and are going to help me through it. I feel that if i am entering a race, i should be ENTITLED to a chance or possibility, if this wasnt the case, there would b 1 class, with 1 winner, sam hill.
I think you're really discounting the value of working your way up. You said you spent a few years struggling in your current class before moving up the ranks. Making the move from am to pro is an even bigger jump than your previous one, so it would stand to reason that you would expect a few years toiling in the back of the pack. I agree that racing the GE Cat 1 series it sounds like you probably won't be sandbagging, but I think it may be the attitude of "I shouldn't have to go through a rough patch to get where I want" that cheeses people. If you truly want to race pro (and maybe you don't, I sure never had any desire to, nothing wrong with it), you should be willing to give up winning a few more bikes in the short term for success in the long run.

Edit: Just like to mention I'm not really trying to join in on the hatefest, just trying to provide some constructive feedback (albeit wildly off the original thread topic)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Next year I set out to win AM, won all of AM (worst placing was a 3rd because of a crash)
Now see, you did that, i haven't, but im a sandbagger? This is my point, im hoping next year can be at that level (although im told about alot of fast guys comin to race in my class)

This isnt directed at you, im just saying how no matter what i do, ill be hated on, its either race where i belong and im a sandbagger bcuz i have bikes, or race pro-get shutout-hurt, but have "pride" and be the poser in pro

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I think you're really discounting the value of working your way up. You said you spent a few years struggling in your current class before moving up the ranks. Making the move from am to pro is an even bigger jump than your previous one, so it would stand to reason that you would expect a few years toiling in the back of the pack. I agree that racing the GE Cat 1 series it sounds like you probably won't be sandbagging, but I think it may be the attitude of "I shouldn't have to go through a rough patch to get where I want" that cheeses people. If you truly want to race pro (and maybe you don't, I sure never had any desire to, nothing wrong with it), you should be willing to give up winning a few more bikes in the short term for success in the long run.

Edit: Just like to mention I'm not really trying to join in on the hatefest, just trying to provide some constructive feedback (albeit wildly off the original thread topic)
I would like to race pro at some point, but im not going to try to make a living on it, it would be cool to be at the top (class wise) but i wont put any real work into it, if i was in better shape, lost weight, jacked, and on a mission, i may try, if i get to pro, its going to be based on skill alone, because i wont put my fitness into it (and i dont mean this condescending) Next year could very well be the last year i race at all, it will be AM/CAT1, i will be hopefully traveling all down the coast at races, i could win every 1, nd still be behind the 8 ball money wise, its not bout that like everybody thinks. If i could get to pro by the next year will i, probably not, after all, pros are PRO, for me to even be competitive as a local pro, id have to find 10 seconds between the gym, and growing a pair, Even at that point, i could never make a living off it, ill enjoy racing while i can, maybe do pro for fun if i can find my way up there, nd that will be it. im not Gwin nor peaty, wont ever be.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
That triple has nothing to do with how well someone does in the race.
i would disagree with that, i am the only guy that jumps it, or even manuals it, most of the rest of the class just double singles, or rides over it. It sets the momentum for the rest of the course, of course thats only my opinion, but i feel its an accurate one.

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
I would like to race pro at some point, but im not going to try to make a living on it. i will be hopefully traveling all down the coast at races, i could win every 1, nd still be behind the 8 ball money wise, its not bout that like everybody thinks. If i could get to pro by the next year will i, probably not, after all, pros are PRO, for me to even be competitive as a local pro, id have to find 10 seconds between the gym, and growing a pair, Even at that point, i could never make a living off it, ill enjoy racing while i can, maybe do pro for fun if i can find my way up there, nd that will be it. im not Gwin nor peaty, wont ever be.

By the way, most 'pros', especially those racing the local series'eses', don't even come close to making a living off it - the only reason they struggle to make it to every race all summer is because they love riding and they love racing - whether or not they consistently podium or are always off the back. I say give Pro a try at least once, more competition almost instantly makes you rider faster/better.