Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
consider a Talas (or another shock with travel adjust like a domain/lyrik) as you may find, as i did, that in some situations the shorter front end feels better.
I second this, my friend got a nomad, similar bike I think, and its really nice because you can lower the travel down to 100, and rip corners, dirtjumps and such, then turn it up all the way and blast down, downhill its an awesome fork, the 36 talas is where its at

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Got a new frame for the 07 season. According to my shop guy it's a one of a kind color with a little story behind it. If anyone from transition reads this forum it would be nice to know if this story is true.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Got a new frame for the 07 season. According to my shop guy it's a one of a kind color with a little story behind it. If anyone from transition reads this forum it would be nice to know if this story is true.

the Blue vagrent was a special run of colors, very few of them were made,i belive it was 10 or 12 frames that were blue. so its not one of a kind but close. looks great by the way.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Thats what I thought but my shop guy went into a whole thing about it being somone at transitions custom color frame for their girlfriend and then they broke up so he some how got the frame. I wanted to laugh in his face when he told me that but he gave me a good deal on it so I held it in.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
well they are doing transparent electric blue as a production color this year. as seen here:

and this is the special run color from last year:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Man, that electric blue Vagrant is suh-weet! I just took apart my Yakuza Kumicho tonight (for sale, large, frame-only with extras, pm me) getting ready to put together the Dirtbag that's been waiting in my dining room for two weeks. Got my Outlaws, Diabolus post, FSA Pig, and Rogues on the way from Jenson, the anticipation is killing me.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Anyone with any word on the Covert frames? Ordered mine a week ago. (after being told there'd be no problem getting one; everyone is buying bottlerockets apparantly)

The last I heard was they were just a few more days offshore......

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
The first electric blue Vagrants were for the U.K. only, but people in North America wanted them so they started making that color this year.

As for the new frames, all of the 2007's came through customs yesterday as far as I know. My local shop's order of 3 Gran Mal's, 3 Dirtbag's, 3 Covert's and 3 Preston's with my new Dirtbag will be here next Monday.:biggrin:

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Yeah, i love the Talas, i had on on my Preston and it rocked, im putting this years talas on my new BR, its such a nice fork you wont be dissapointed.
I have a talas on my preston and love it, its stiff pluch and super adjustable. the High and low speed compression is great for dialing the fork in.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My buddy just picked up a Preston, as soon as he builds it up Ill take a pic and post it.

I was soooooooo close to buying a BR yesterday, but it was a small and I really want a medium.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeah, the small BR is really small! That's what my wife uses for and all-around freeride rig, because the angles fit a smaller person so perfectly.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
My buddy just picked up a Preston, as soon as he builds it up Ill take a pic and post it.

I was soooooooo close to buying a BR yesterday, but it was a small and I really want a medium.

heck yes, i plan to pimp some pictures once she comes in...im waiting on ups now...

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
the double looks good. are you running two rings in the front with no derail?

Thanks and yes. The build is not quite finished. I have a white gold tooth bash guard on order, and I'm getting a new chain guide. I want one thats low profile but will allow me to keep my existing crankset and bb. Any suggestions (I refuse to use a box guide, they cause the chain to drop off more than it would without the guide)?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I'm interseted in getting a new wheelset for it. I was thinking about getting a white transition revolutuion one (I have a white bash guard on order, plus am going to try and get white bars). Anyways, my question is whether to get the 36mm wide or the 32 mm wide.

The 36 mm wide will make the tires wider but not as tall (which I think will give me better grip but less squish).
The 32 will make the tires taller but skinnier/rounder (which I think will give me more squish but less grip).

Correct me if any of this is wrong.

I will be running 2.4 holly rollers (more like 2.2s though).

If there is a better/diff wheelset you guys would recomend, let me know. Thanks for any input. Also, I will take suggestions on ANYTHING. I think it rides perfect now, so lets make it PRETTY

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm getting the white revolutions. i ordered the 32mm for a few reasons. one is tire profile. i have run 28mm rims and they were too narrow for anything close to 2.5. my 2.4s would roll over a bit. i went to 32mm and the tires are much happier. i think a 36mm rim is probably overkill for the 2.4 and way too much rim for a 2.2.

gmonkey

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Bothell
I have a set of Rev 36's with 2.5 Nevegals that I am relegating to Whistler type duty, although I really like them. For most use, I just purchased the 32's but I have not been able to get out yet so I can't tell you the ride differences. Love the new colors...it may be difficult to take these babies off so they may become my everything wheelset.

Attachments

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I'm still waiting for somebody to bless us with some pics of the new Preston. I know the release date was pushed back but it has to be out by now?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Covert pics. At least of the frame. Picking up a few things for it from Larry @Mtn. High Cyclery tomorrow. Shock hardware, seatpost clamp and shim, new front derailleur. He's also going to face/chase the headtube/BB for me.

16.5"/small frame weighed 6# 12oz. on the post office scale, without shock. Swinger 4-way Air, NOS picked up cheap is going on it. Had to order the reducers/bushings though, so no pics with the shock. I'll probably pick up a Fox RP-23 eventually, and use the Swinger as a backup shock.

Fairly decent sized bearings at the back end. Nice looking hanger. Got a spare bearing kit & two hangers on the way from Transition.

Things look niceley done. Feels smooth, but I'll probably ream it out a bit just to make sure nothing mars up the seatpost. Lotsa' tire room. That's a 2.3 Tioga Team DH there, with at least a 1/2" to spare all the way around.

Headtube looks nice. Nice minimal looking gussets, feels smooth inside. Nice external rings top and bottom. IRD Technoglide headset paired with a coil RS Lyrik are going in there.

Full open cable/hose/housing guides all the way around. Me likey. The seattube taco is nicely done, too.

Pivots/linkage stuff is nice. Only downside is I'd ordered 8mmx50mm for the lower shock mount based on Transitons site info. It actually measures 45mm...... Mailed them to let them know, and Larry (remember the guy who has the rest of my build aprts?) Thinks he's got some 45mm Swinger hardware at the shop.

Nice fat hardware all the way around. The bearings aren't anything too special, but they appear to be well sealed. I'll probably pull the seals, clean them out, and regrease with Phil's Waterproof.

The rest of the stuff, and the shop assistant. Hadley 10mm bolted rear, Hope Bulb 20mm front. Gravity Dropper 1" & 4" post, Thomson X-4 stem, SRAM/Race Face drive train bits. Juicy-5 brakes, 8" front, 7" rear. M646 pedals. Not sure if the Blackspire Stinger will go on or not. I'll ride it without first, and throw it on if it seems like it's having chaindrop issues.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
sic, way sic, but what kind of levers are those? straitline?

oh, and please take that rubber monstrosity off of your seatpost.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
sic, way sic, but what kind of levers are those? straitline?

oh, and please take that rubber monstrosity off of your seatpost.
Dangerboy levers.

Rubber monstrosity? Heh. Hint: it ain't a suspension post. The boot is ugly, but if it keeps the post from getting crap into the mechanism...... On the fly adjustable seatpost height rocks on. I've got one on the hardtail, too.

http://www.gravitydropper.com/descenderpost.html