Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
looks sick!!! build it up!!! ride it!!!

where did you get the spank parts? are you in the US? i was looking at some of their gear, but i can't find it in the US.

Rabelista

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007

putted some borrewed rims under it.. until friday..
I'll get my halo tornado (white) rims on saint hubs..

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
tittays!!! the spank parts are pretty sick, but i'm really loving the whole thing. the fork would look awesome if you got a custom paint job on it, and the double track also looks awkwardly huge (as usual).

Rabelista

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007
tittays!!! the spank parts are pretty sick, but i'm really loving the whole thing. the fork would look awesome if you got a custom paint job on it, and the double track also looks awkwardly huge (as usual).
hehe yeh thanks.
but it aren't my own wheels.. my wheels are coming tomorrow..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Dont go crazy with the white man! Chill out!

Bike looks amazing, that is the bike that i really want/dont need...I am going to stick with my hardtail for street/dj but damn these are hot.

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
Ok here is my contribution, just got it completed this week. Sorry no action pics yet...

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
hey all, I´m almost convinced to buy a BR in the next month(s) but I still dont know which fork to choose...at first, I wanted a Totem or a Marzocchi 66..but I dont know if it would be too much front travel considering the 5.5 rear travel...anyway, Im using the bike for freeride, street and mostly DH & bikeparks...I wouldnt be doing too much pedaling...so which is the best fork choice for the BR?? a 180mm fork or less travel as with a Fox Van..???cheers!:busted: :busted:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
66 RC2X, $529 on jensonusa
thanks for the heads up!! I was wondering which is the "optimal" amount of front travel for the BR more than the fork model to go with, I dont think I can go wrong either with a Totem coil or a Mar 66...only I want to be sure about the amount of front travel....more opinions on the subject!!??:biggrin: :biggrin:

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I will preface this by depends on what type of riding you will do..but I will say this

I have been a marz guy forever..never had problems and always loved them...I was riding the 66 ever since 05 . So I built up a BR after doing allot of research and put a 07 66 rcx2 (great fork) and then talked to some peeps...

Most people even Kyle from transition said the bike was designed to be more nimble with a steeper HA...even in terms of them running 160mm forks with zero stack headsets. Well I ran the 66 on the BR for grant it a short time and had no issues...something just didnt feel right..so since I was on a mission anyways to get the weight down on my BR I went and bought a 08 Fox van rc2 fork....I will tell you this...this fork was made for this bike...it feels right..the HA is perfect the fork is super light and super plush. Not to say marz isnt a great fork...but I feel a 160mm fork is what works best on a BR

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
okay, that´s what I was looking for....I suppose the Transition guys designed the frame with a front fork (or at least front travel...) in their mind...so I guess that with a 160mm fork the bike will feel best than with a longer one..., anyway, are there any other options apart from Fox??maybe Rock shox Lyrik or Domain??cheers for the info!

I will preface this by depends on what type of riding you will do..but I will say this

I have been a marz guy forever..never had problems and always loved them...I was riding the 66 ever since 05 . So I built up a BR after doing allot of research and put a 07 66 rcx2 (great fork) and then talked to some peeps...

Most people even Kyle from transition said the bike was designed to be more nimble with a steeper HA...even in terms of them running 160mm forks with zero stack headsets. Well I ran the 66 on the BR for grant it a short time and had no issues...something just didnt feel right..so since I was on a mission anyways to get the weight down on my BR I went and bought a 08 Fox van rc2 fork....I will tell you this...this fork was made for this bike...it feels right..the HA is perfect the fork is super light and super plush. Not to say marz isnt a great fork...but I feel a 160mm fork is what works best on a BR

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I'm not sure there is an ideal. 66 or Van and you are good to go.
I've ridden Bomber and Fox and they both rock. My BR has a first year 06 ? 36VANRC2 I think the adjustments are well worth the $. You can dial up low speed to cancel out dive and pedal. Dial up high if you are G'ing out. Fox is going to up my bottom out internally during service. I hear it makes a good bit of diffrence in the last 1/2" or so. (I've bottomed both brands) I haven't had a reliability or breakage issue. I'd buy another one in a second.
That said, $529 is a nice price. And I don't think you'd be anything but happy w/ the 66.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I agree the 66 is good and the 07 is not as tall as the older the 66's. You can now get the 07 06 and Fox cheaper since the 08s came out. You will be fine either way..I am just giving you my opinion and letting you know what others have suggested to me as well. The bike will rock either way. I will tell you if weight is any what of an issue then its a no brainer I lost well over 1 1/4 pounds goign with Fox

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
thanks for the info both of you!, so is there too much difference in A-C distance beween the 07 66 or a Totem coil and Fox 36Van??

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i spoke with the guys at transition long ago, while the bike was still in pre-production and they mentioned the design was based around a fox 36 on the front. they also sell the build kit using a zero stack fsa orbit z1.5r internal headset. so i think that covers the design inent.

i've run mine with a pike and a 36vanr. the 36 feels great in most situations. there are times where i want more travel and times where i want less. the pike worked well at anything over 120mm of travel. anything less than that made the bike handle funny (it got a bit too twitchy and the bb felt too low). i'm about to get a boxxer ride so i can go up to 178mm of travel and down to 130. i think the bike can handle a bigger fork. i think it will feel fine for more dh applications. my experience has shown adjusting the travel on the bike's fork is desireable for different types of riding. i would suggest going with a travel adjustable fork (36Talas, Domain, Lyrik) that will get you as now lower than 120 (unless you are slamming it for climbs) and/or as high as ??? (i don't know what longer than 160 feels like).

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
i spoke with the guys at transition long ago, while the bike was still in pre-production and they mentioned the design was based around a fox 36 on the front. they also sell the build kit using a zero stack fsa orbit z1.5r internal headset. so i think that covers the design inent.

i've run mine with a pike and a 36vanr. the 36 feels great in most situations. there are times where i want more travel and times where i want less. the pike worked well at anything over 120mm of travel. anything less than that made the bike handle funny (it got a bit too twitchy and the bb felt too low). i'm about to get a boxxer ride so i can go up to 178mm of travel and down to 130. i think the bike can handle a bigger fork. i think it will feel fine for more dh applications. my experience has shown adjusting the travel on the bike's fork is desireable for different types of riding. i would suggest going with a travel adjustable fork (36Talas, Domain, Lyrik) that will get you as now lower than 120 (unless you are slamming it for climbs) and/or as high as ??? (i don't know what longer than 160 feels like).
you are correct. The bike was designed around a 36 with a zerostack headset. The bike runs best with a steeper HA and a shorter fork. I am personally running mine with a Z.1 right now. I might try the new 55 on it though.

Kyle,

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
My bottlerocket. To be honest, I'm partial to it, I don't know if I like it yet.
I took me a few rides to get into mine. What were you riding before ?
FYI ->If that is a small flip that shock around to revision in the rear.
Kyle, that 55 has potential for sure. Best of the 66/Z1

Feb 8, 2007
"okay, that´s what I was looking for....I suppose the Transition guys designed the frame with a front fork (or at least front travel...) in their mind...so I guess that with a 160mm fork the bike will feel best than with a longer one..., anyway, are there any other options apart from Fox??maybe Rock shox Lyrik or Domain??cheers for the info!"

FWIW: I have a Lyrik on my BR and simply love it. I've always been a Marzo guy, but this fork feels perfect for this bike. Plus, I'm a die-hard coil user. The HA (I use a zero stack) is excellent. I ride it on local trail set to 145/150mm, and 165 for bigger stuff.

I bet the 55 is going to be the sheeeeeeeeet though.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
seems like either the Lyrik or the Van36 are the ticket to go....I like the travel adjustability of the Lyrik...maybe I will give it a try!, cheers.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Updated the bikes a little.

top got odessey linear slic cables, and sherman jumper lowers.

Bottle Rocket got tbc 32 wheels in brown, new X.9 shifters and deraileure, 991 cs chain and 991 cassette, and color matched matchmakers.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
okay, Ive found a good deal on a 07 FoxVan36rc2 but Im a bit worried about the bottom out problems this fork is supposed to have...coming from Marzocchi forks, maybe I will find it a too linear fork?is that true that doing a small drop makes the fork to run out of travel as if you were doing a big drop??cheers!!!!!!!!:busted: :busted:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've got a 2007VAN (not an RC2). the bottom out is supposedly better than the 2006 and earlier models. i had no issues bottoming this fork for most of my regular riding, which is more trail than jump/drop. once in a while i would hit a drop wrong and bottom it, but not often. last weekend i rode a few freeride spots in the portland area and i hit some ladder drops and felt the fork bottom. not harsh, but it did hit bottom. i'm 180+gear on a large bottlerocket with a heavy spring in my 36. if i landed smoother, the fork might not bottom (i'm not a smooth jumper). i also wasn't hitting anything much bigger than 6 foot, nothing over 10 (just to give you an idea of what caused me to bottom).

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
that br looks sick but please ditch the black parts and go brown/green/white/anything but black and it will look so awesome

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Okay, I ve just ordered a 07 Van36rc2....Im eager to having the full bike on my hands!!now I will be getting some components and after that I will buy the frame..so its a long term project...btw, I weigh more or less the same as you (185 w/o gear) and I was wondering which spring rate is the best for my weight...I will be using a Fox dhx ..., may be other fox dhx on a BR users can say their weight & spring rate...cheers in advance!

i've got a 2007VAN (not an RC2). the bottom out is supposedly better than the 2006 and earlier models. i had no issues bottoming this fork for most of my regular riding, which is more trail than jump/drop. once in a while i would hit a drop wrong and bottom it, but not often. last weekend i rode a few freeride spots in the portland area and i hit some ladder drops and felt the fork bottom. not harsh, but it did hit bottom. i'm 180+gear on a large bottlerocket with a heavy spring in my 36. if i landed smoother, the fork might not bottom (i'm not a smooth jumper). i also wasn't hitting anything much bigger than 6 foot, nothing over 10 (just to give you an idea of what caused me to bottom).