Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
How do the trail-or parks fit for a 6'0", 32" inseam guy? Switching to a hardtail for park/DJ use (moving to where 7/7 travel does me no good). Love the DirtBag so thinking about staying with Transition. Any weaknesses better solved by other frames?

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Transition Double Owners:

Was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on there Doubles? I know that this bike is meant as a DJ bike, but I wanted to know how it pedals, climbs, trail-rides, DH, free-rides and handle big drops.

Any info or feedback will be great.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I rode with a double owner last week. He hit some big stunts on it. He said it was tough to trail ride. He tried it once or twice and it was a painful experience, as it should be with any 14" seat tube bike. I put a leg over it for a bit and it felt like a dirt jump bike, though a bit longer and more stable. The owner, John, had no problems freeriding this beast, but John is a solid rider. Here he is in action.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
The double is a DIRT JUMP bike it is strong where it needs to be but will not hold up to the abuse of freeride and downhill. as a dirtjumper and 4x bike the bike rides awesome. but its geometry does not allow it to trail ride very well. if you are looking for a do all get a bottle rocket, it will DJ FR DH and trail ride. the bottle rocket has a steeper head angle than most bikes so it jumps very similar to the double. Set the bike up like Travis' bike with a 66 ata and a roco air you can control the stiffness in the rear easily and adjust the travel up front, to adjust your Head angle for dirt jumping. hope this helps.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yay! just joined the fam. picked up a small BR frame yesterday and finally finished swapping parts over from my demo tonight. i can't do much of a ride test until i get the final word on my shoulder injury but from the neighborhood jaunt it felt superb. like a DH'able dj bike :thumb:

midnight photo sesh...didn't come out too great but i had to get those newborn shots!

fresh from the womb

the romic is a spare shock until i can save up enough to buy a double barrell. it seems to work just fine though.

Feb 8, 2007
A quick State of the Unionon me Bottlerocket. I likey. It's taken me about this long to get the suspension dialed in to what I think is perfecto. I'm slow like that. I like the DHX a lot more than I did initially, just cuz we're tight now. I keep it at about 120psi, bottom out turned fully in, with half pro-pedal, and rebound just enough to absorb the chattery, but still buttery and predictable on a big landing. I seldom feel it bottom out. The Lyrik has been stellar. I ride it at 145mm for the local trails, which are hardpack and flowy with some rooty rocky areas, and several small opportunities to get the tires off the ground. The low speed compression knob doesn't have any clicks (I've heard of this problem with other Lyrik owners), but is still fully functional.

Overall, this is the funnest steed in the stable, taking the title from my Imperial. (No knock on the lovely Evil, I just like some squish.) The 5.5 inches in the rear feels like, well, 5.5 inches. Which is just fine. Don't know where the rumors of "feels like more travel" came from. The Stinky that I had previously felt like 7 inches, but was also much slower and wandering on tight trails at speed, and kind of cumbersome in the air. For a guy that's 5'9", the med. BR is a perfect trail bike. Burly, but nimble, and very confidence-inspiring. As pictured, the bike weighs 35.5 lbs., but it feels lighter on the trail.

That's all I have for now.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
A quick State of the Unionon me Bottlerocket. I likey. It's taken me about this long to get the suspension dialed in to what I think is perfecto. I'm slow like that. I like the DHX a lot more than I did initially, just cuz we're tight now. I keep it at about 120psi, bottom out turned fully in, with half pro-pedal, and rebound just enough to absorb the chattery, but still buttery and predictable on a big landing. I seldom feel it bottom out. The Lyrik has been stellar. I ride it at 145mm for the local trails, which are hardpack and flowy with some rooty rocky areas, and several small opportunities to get the tires off the ground. The low speed compression knob doesn't have any clicks (I've heard of this problem with other Lyrik owners), but is still fully functional.

Overall, this is the funnest steed in the stable, taking the title from my Imperial. (No knock on the lovely Evil, I just like some squish.) The 5.5 inches in the rear feels like, well, 5.5 inches. Which is just fine. Don't know where the rumors of "feels like more travel" came from. The Stinky that I had previously felt like 7 inches, but was also much slower and wandering on tight trails at speed, and kind of cumbersome in the air. For a guy that's 5'9", the med. BR is a perfect trail bike. Burly, but nimble, and very confidence-inspiring. As pictured, the bike weighs 35.5 lbs., but it feels lighter on the trail.

That's all I have for now.
that, my friends, is how you spec a bike. i'd just opt for a fox 36 up front, but that's such a sick bike. a dhx air in the back would bring it to 34.5 lbs though.

Feb 8, 2007
"that, my friends, is how you spec a bike. i'd just opt for a fox 36 up front, but that's such a sick bike. a dhx air in the back would bring it to 34.5 lbs though."

Why thank you thank you. I looked at the 36, but I'm really happy with the RS. And I just can't bring myself to abandon the coil.

One more pic for fun:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
can anyone give me an idea of how technical the trails are that you ride on your bottlerockets? has anyone attempted northstar on one?

Feb 8, 2007
I'd like to know how much is too much for this bike as well. I built mine for fast and mostly smooth single track of VA, but I'm about to move to Vermont and was wondering if should be looking for a full-blown DH bike for Bolton, Killington, and whatever mountains are near Burlington. Or would a double-crown and some DH tires on the BR be enough. I'm be pretty much a beginner in the DH category.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Just ordered a black blindside with the 888 RC3 single chain ring build with upgraded 36 Rev wheels and Avid Codes. Can't wait to get it. Should be about 2 weeks.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
let´s push this thread up... , Ive ridden the bike only once but it feels quite nice!only that the spring(550) is a bit hard for my weight (185)...and I cant decide which one to get between a 450 or a 500...so any recommendation woould be appreciated!!

Attachments

Feb 8, 2007
I weigh 180 and use a 450 lb ti spring. It feels spot on. I use a lot of the bottom out also, and I seldom feel the bike blow through its travel.

ˆˆHow you have your shock set is pretty important. ˆˆ

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
yes,the guys at Transition said to me that the spring rate that works best for my weight is a 450 or 500...so I cant make up my mind with which I have to choose...how much air pressure do you use on yours??cheers!

I weigh 180 and use a 450 lb ti spring. It feels spot on. I use a lot of the bottom out also, and I seldom feel the bike blow through its travel.

ˆˆHow you have your shock set is pretty important. ˆˆ

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my rider weight (with gear) is about 185 and i'm running a 500 on my BR. i had a 450 for a while and i like the 500 better. it was a subtle difference between the two for me. i don't bottom the 500 (but i never rode the 450 as hard as i've ridden the 500). between the two i would say to go 500.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
as far as air pressure setup, i run it high at 175psi and i have the boost almost fully closed. the shock feels more active to me that way, which i like.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that screen shot is from the 2008 website. i'm running a 2007 dhx. check the 2007 archive (the option is at the top of the page from your screen shot) and see if the numbers are different. i tried, but my browser here at work is not playing well with fox's site.

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
It says 125psi for 2007s as well. But if it says 200 right on the shock...

200 psi is what the max is for the DHX 5.0 COIL as per the cd instructional manual that comes with the shock.,.I been running my shock anywhere from 170 to 180 on my BR

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
how much do you weigh and what your spring rate is please??:busted: :busted:

200 psi is what the max is for the DHX 5.0 COIL as per the cd instructional manual that comes with the shock.,.I been running my shock anywhere from 170 to 180 on my BR

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
My new Preston...

I am running a 500lb spring and 150 psi and I weigh 240lb. Way to much SAG I talked to Fox and I need a 600lb spring and I could up the psi 15-20 and I should be good.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Thanks bro... Next some Atomlab white Pimp Rims with DT spokes and some Gold HAdley Hubs and go Gehtto Tubeless to save some weight.. Oh and a new 08 Zook 55 ATA once its been out for a bit so all the bugs are worked out..