Quantcast

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
i've also towed my bronco with a healthy 7.3 PSD and it could maintain speed alright and accelerate good on flats, but no chance of accelerating on a hill. and it got about 10-11 mpg. so i guess the point i'm trying to make is diesels only get good mileage when they are empty in my experience. once you throw a good load on there all bets are off as driving style and route are going to dictate your economy more than anything else.
There was something wrong with that rig then. My 03 250 7.3 has over 200,000 miles on it and I regularly tow my skid loader that weighs 7500 lbs w/ a trailer weighing 2500+ lbs. I still get 13+ mpgs. All this on original tranny.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't now what kind of risk you are down to take, and how enforcement is in your area, but I run offroad diesel. It's died red and there is no road tax on it, so it's quite a bit cheeper. There is a 1000$ fine for the first offense so know that, I'm in the bay area so I don't have to worry so much about getting my tank dipped, but if you live in a farming area, enforcement is going to be much higher. It's like 20$ a fill cheeper

Hmmm, I do like rawdawing it, and this seems like something I'd be into. What is the likelyhood of getting caught in a regular suburban-ish area?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Hmmm, I do like rawdawing it, and this seems like something I'd be into. What is the likelyhood of getting caught in a regular suburban-ish area?
id say close to none, i live in a very suburban area, and i havent heard of a single person(let alone cop) that knows offroad diesel even exists, and i have NEVER EVER heard of a dip, granted, im from n.j.

id think you will be fine if you arent bragging about it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
besides my buddy who owns a heating oil company, ive never heard of anyone who has had their tanks checked. thered be reason for a cop to check

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I pay 2.89 for diesel (2.29 for the offroad diesel :) ) Gas around here is right at 3$ I'm not sure what the 5.9 common rail trucks get for milage. But I know you can EASILY get 30 out of them (there's a guy with an old 12 valve around here claiming he gets 33, and a guy with a 6.7 saying he gets 37) Say you get 19 out of an F150 like for claims you get.

That's 9 cents a mile, Vs like 15 cents a mile. That's in fuel costs. You also have to remember a cummins engine WILL go 500K without blinkin an eye. More like 7-800K with much trouble at all. If you're trying to keep the thing for 250K remember how many ****'s your gasser is going to take on you in that time. I bought my 12 valve with 200K and that motor runs like NEW. You also have to take into account the fact that diesels have a MUCH higher resale value, especially if you're in a 4wd cummins.
I have a hard time believing this, not saying it is not possible just not likely. To say they easily get at least 30 mpg is stretching it. In ideal conditions w/ a lot of aftermarket upgrades and then maybe.
A buddy of mine has one and babies the sh1t out of it. He does all his own repairs ( as he is an engineer), only puts Royal Purple in it and gets maybe 22.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
id say close to none, i live in a very suburban area, and i havent heard of a single person(let alone cop) that knows offroad diesel even exists, and i have NEVER EVER heard of a dip, granted, im from n.j.

id think you will be fine if you arent bragging about it.
Hmm, I like the sound of that then. Can't find anywhere in SB with off road fuel after a quick google search. Oh well. Gonna go look at some 2500's this weekend. Stay tuned.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't now what kind of risk you are down to take, and how enforcement is in your area, but I run offroad diesel. It's died red and there is no road tax on it, so it's quite a bit cheeper. There is a 1000$ fine for the first offense so know that, I'm in the bay area so I don't have to worry so much about getting my tank dipped, but if you live in a farming area, enforcement is going to be much higher. It's like 20$ a fill cheeper
seems legit.

In a regular diesel truck, pretty slim, but put any sort of advertisement or DOT # on the side of it to use for business and very likely.

I pay 2.89 for diesel (2.29 for the offroad diesel :) ) Gas around here is right at 3$ I'm not sure what the 5.9 common rail trucks get for milage. But I know you can EASILY get 30 out of them (there's a guy with an old 12 valve around here claiming he gets 33, and a guy with a 6.7 saying he gets 37) Say you get 19 out of an F150 like for claims you get.

That's 9 cents a mile, Vs like 15 cents a mile. That's in fuel costs. You also have to remember a cummins engine WILL go 500K without blinkin an eye. More like 7-800K with much trouble at all. If you're trying to keep the thing for 250K remember how many ****'s your gasser is going to take on you in that time. I bought my 12 valve with 200K and that motor runs like NEW. You also have to take into account the fact that diesels have a MUCH higher resale value, especially if you're in a 4wd cummins.

The ONLY costs that are higher are the initial costs (partially offset by resale value) and the cost of oil changes

Fuel costs are lower, and reliability is MUCH higher.......
Your mileage numbers are a bit high for the diesel. The initial cost difference is not offset by resale value. I ask you to prove it.

The diesel option is typically 6-10,000 right? Go find two trucks with identical miles, years, options, etc. and the used diesel is going to be 6-10,000 more. Which unless you have a cash buyer makes it harder to sell because of the high monthly payments and interest rates on older used vehicles.

Also, everyone keeps talking longevity, keep in mind, the rest of the truck is the same, alternators, water pumps, ball joints, u joints, tires, etc. will wear out just the same as on a gas truck, also, todays gas motors will easily last 300-500,000 miles if cared for just like a diesel.

With as often as people buy and sell vehicles it is very tough to justify the cost of a diesel unless you are using it.

All that said, diesel trucks are kick ass.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With as often as people buy and sell vehicles it is very tough to justify the cost of a diesel unless you are using it.

I just like having fuel options. I can go from B99 to dino without a change. I run bio when available and the bio I run is produced locally.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
In a regular diesel truck, pretty slim, but put any sort of advertisement or DOT # on the side of it to use for business and very likely.
I figure I'll just slap an orange light on the roof, and a City of Santa Barbara logo thingy on the sides as well. Was talking to my buddy who's a cop in Chicago, he seemed to thing that was a good idea. Can't imagine getting pulled over in that. As long as I remove the magnetic sticker thingy before I leave the county.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Hmm, I like the sound of that then. Can't find anywhere in SB with off road fuel after a quick google search. Oh well. Gonna go look at some 2500's this weekend. Stay tuned.
There is a station a 2 miles from my house that has it, card only, no attendant, both fuels come out of the same pump, so I'm good to go

I have a hard time believing this, not saying it is not possible just not likely. To say they easily get at least 30 mpg is stretching it. In ideal conditions w/ a lot of aftermarket upgrades and then maybe.
A buddy of mine has one and babies the sh1t out of it. He does all his own repairs ( as he is an engineer), only puts Royal Purple in it and gets maybe 22.
My buddy was getting 27 stock. It's all in the gears in the rear end. if he has a I think 307 in back he's ganna be up at like 2 grand at 70, where as if he has a 4something it brings it down to like 1600 RPM at freeway speed. If you have a 2WD with some tall street tires it's easy. A big 4wd on some wide 33s or something it going to make a huge difference too, the curb weight on the 4wd to the 2wd is right around 1000 lbs

seems legit.

Your mileage numbers are a bit high for the diesel. The initial cost difference is not offset by resale value. I ask you to prove it.

The diesel option is typically 6-10,000 right? Go find two trucks with identical miles, years, options, etc. and the used diesel is going to be 6-10,000 more. Which unless you have a cash buyer makes it harder to sell because of the high monthly payments and interest rates on older used vehicles.

Also, everyone keeps talking longevity, keep in mind, the rest of the truck is the same, alternators, water pumps, ball joints, u joints, tires, etc. will wear out just the same as on a gas truck, also, todays gas motors will easily last 300-500,000 miles if cared for just like a diesel.

I didn't say resale totally offset costs, especially new. But a 5.9 common rail truck that's USED is going to hold value MUCH better.

Uhhh, diesel alternaters are SUPER BEEFY, FYI, they power 2 batteries...... I understand other **** is going to go out, but as a whole you can run a cummins 7-800K easy, and I FULLY plan to do that with mine. I just did ball joints, and all new suspension bushings on the front end of my truck

If you have a diesel transfer tank in the bed of a diesel then that attracts testing for offroad diesel.
If you attend a farm equipment auction the chance is VERY high that DOT enforcement is dip-sticking trucks in the parking lot for traces of red dye.

Its a $2500 fine in my neck of the woods.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I figure I'll just slap an orange light on the roof, and a City of Santa Barbara logo thingy on the sides as well. Was talking to my buddy who's a cop in Chicago, he seemed to thing that was a good idea. Can't imagine getting pulled over in that. As long as I remove the magnetic sticker thingy before I leave the county.
That sounds like the dumbest thing ever. If you get caught, you are going to have your truck impounded and go to jail. You don't think a cop will notice the absence of an exempt plate?
Pay your share of the taxes you lowlifes. Roads are subsidizes too much by the general fund as it is.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
That sounds like the dumbest thing ever. If you get caught, you are going to have your truck impounded and go to jail. You don't think a cop will notice the absence of an exempt plate?
Pay your share of the taxes you lowlifes. Roads are subsidizes too much by the general fund as it is.
There is no such thing as an exempt plate for offroad diesel, A cop has to not only KNOW about offroad diesel, but take the time to check. If it's plated for the road you can't use offroad diesel. In CA that's not something can cuff you for, It's just a HEAPING fine. I've saved like 400$ since I got my trucks, as soon as I hit 1000$ I figure I've got my money's worth and if I get caught I will stop. It's the second offense that ends up with them impounding your truck

When we stop corperate welfare and tax breaks for the rich, I will stop dodging taxes every where I can. The middle class pays MORE than it's share thank you :)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Not quite sure what the criminal offense punishable by jail time is there? Actually, roads are hardly "subsidized" by the general fund. Most states withdraw money from the gas tax fund to pay for unrelated expenses last time I checked (could be wrong). But alas, there are almost NO 2500 diesel Ram mega cabs with the 6.5 ft bed in Socal it seems. Might be back to the tundra/f150 option.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Not quite sure what the criminal offense punishable by jail time is there? Actually, roads are hardly "subsidized" by the general fund. Most states withdraw money from the gas tax fund to pay for unrelated expenses last time I checked (could be wrong). But alas, there are almost NO 2500 diesel Ram mega cabs with the 6.5 ft bed in Socal it seems. Might be back to the tundra/f150 option.
I spent a month looking for my truck, had to drive 5 hours to go get it too. People don't like to get rid of there cummins

Short beds are for city folk mostly.
Look further out and chances are you'll find a longbed

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I spent a month looking for my truck, had to drive 5 hours to go get it too. People don't like to get rid of there cummins
I'm only at a week or 2 now. There are plenty of cummins, and a good amount of mega cabs, but everyone just has the short bed, which is kinda....homosexual on a diesel IMO.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
If you have a diesel transfer tank in the bed of a diesel then that attracts testing for offroad diesel.
If you attend a farm equipment auction the chance is VERY high that DOT enforcement is dip-sticking trucks in the parking lot for traces of red dye.

Its a $2500 fine in my neck of the woods.
If I just got out of an auction and saw law enforcement opening anything on any vehicle I owned, bet it I'd be on the phone to my lawyer and the ACLU. They want to fvck with me, I'll fvck with them right back.

FWIW, BioD doesn't have any dye in it.

Also, locking gas caps are cheap.

The More You Know®
:thumb:

If I just got out of an auction and saw law enforcement opening anything on any vehicle I owned, bet it I'd be on the phone to my lawyer and the ACLU. They want to fvck with me, I'll fvck with them right back.

FWIW, BioD doesn't have any dye in it.

Also, locking gas caps are cheap.

The More You Know®
:thumb:

I hear ya and thats why i do have a locking fuel cap.
If you wanna fvck with DOT guys go ahead even if what they are doing is suspect. I dont know if checking your fuel for dye is an illegal search but thats how they do it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

Putting a yellow light on you truck and a fake city placard would fall under impersonating a city official with the perpose of tax evasion. Any official truck would have exempt plates.

Gas taxes have to go to roads. That's how the snowmobilers sued to get money from the gas tax fund for trail grooming.
And yes, a huge chunk of your federal and state general fund is spent on roads, bridges and the like. Cars are subsidized too much.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Putting a yellow light on you truck and a fake city placard would fall under impersonating a city official with the perpose of tax evasion.
First of all, it'd be PRETTTTTY hard to prove that I was doing it for purposes of tax evasion. Truth is the real reason is just to reduce the likelyhood of getting pulled over/parking tickets (didn't even know about offroad diesel till today). Second of all, I doubt you could even prove it is impersonating a city official, usually its things like this http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/24839144/detail.html I really really really REALLY doubt putting a city logo on your truck counts as impersonating a city official. EDIT: Just read up on some legal decisions involving impersonating officers and city officials. Looks like a judge would agree with me, by a rather wide margin.

But I digress. Clearly you fear/respect the law/gov't more than me. Anyways, back on topic. If anyone finds a 6.5 ft bed mega cab 2500 diesel withing 250 miles of SB lemme know.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I hear ya and thats why i do have a locking fuel cap.
If you wanna fvck with DOT guys go ahead even if what they are doing is suspect. I dont know if checking your fuel for dye is an illegal search but thats how they do it.
They can make you pop your hood and pull your fuel filter too, better put a lock on that

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Agreed, that is another reason that I want a diesel because that choice is awesome.
As stated in many other threads, the sole reason I bought my truck was the 7.3. Had anyone offered as good a motor in a 1/2 package, I would have bought it.

My next truck will be a half ton swap. The 4BT looks like a solid candidate. I started a '72 C10 6.5 turbo project, but the lack of vacuum for the brakes put that on hold. Now that I know the big block square body Chevy's had hydro brakes as an option, it's back on. I will just do a square body swap this time, but a 67-72 will be next.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
seems legit.

I totally agree. I love my Chevys, I've only had gasoline models so far.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
They can make you pop your hood and pull your fuel filter too, better put a lock on that
This is from my lawyer:

Jim,

State and local Police working commercial vehicle enforcement including weight enforcement will stop commercial vehicles (weighing OVER 10,000 pounds, NOT trucks registered at or below 10,000 pounds) to do one or more of the following:

(1) A CVSA Level 3 or Level 1 inspection;
(2) Check to be sure that the truck has an IFTA sticker, if so required (required if over 26,000 pounds);
(3) If truck is from out-of-state, make sure it has apportioned tags (also required if GVW is over 26,000 pounds);
(4) Weigh the truck (and trailer, if present);
(5) Have a "Diesel Enforcement Officer" from the Internal Revenue Service check the fuel tank or tanks of the truck for illegal use of off-highway (red-dye) fuel.

The stops can be done on the roadside, provided that there is a safe place to park the vehicles (and there shoulder can bear the weight), OR at a weigh/inspection station, OR at some other location (such as a landfill or refuse transfer station).

If you get pulled over and threatened with this if you're driving one of your personal vehicles, do not consent to a search. If the officer or trooper threatens you with a cuff and stuff, call me immediately and I will advise RE harassment and wrongful arrest.

If you are going to post this information online, please include the following disclaimer:

Certain laws and procedures can vary from state to state. Above all else, be courteous and non-aggressive to the Officer/Trooper. Nothing included in this email is intended to provide legal counsel for any party outside of my client.

Best regards,
Will XXXXX

Can I get an amen Dirt?

Edit:

He just emailed me and wanted me to add that in no way is he encouraging me, or any of you to use off road diesel on a road going vehicle.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you get pulled over and threatened with this if you're driving one of your personal vehicles, do not consent to a search. If the officer or trooper threatens you with a cuff and stuff, call me immediately and I will advise RE harassment and wrongful arrest.
I believe this falls under the same guidelines as any other vehicle search. Yes, you have the right to refuse. But the officer can alse make you stay there while they attempt to get a warrant.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I believe this falls under the same guidelines as any other vehicle search. Yes, you have the right to refuse. But the officer can alse make you stay there while they attempt to get a warrant.
I think there is a law professor video in the youtube thread about why you should never talk to the police unless you called them, even as a witness. I would say this falls under the same thing.

bikeguru

Chimp
Aug 8, 2009
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am looking for my first big truck also, and had been looking at a Ram 1500 Hemi. Sounds a lot like you guys are mainly diesel guys. It there a big reason for this? I don't think I will ever tow anything heavier that a couple of MX bikes or a bed full of DH bikes. I just like the idea of a Hemi because of the muscle car heritage. Never had anything bigger than a 2.3 petrol, so it will be a big jump!