Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Awesome work!
I work with Bartek from Progress Boards. He makes custom wake/kite boards. He does skis and snowboards as well. I do 3D modeling (boards/moulds etc.), and CAM work for him. Lots of prototyping/one offs for pro riders. I've designed the snb lineup last year for him and did one board for myself. The one I've shown. Fuckin love that board. Volume shifted, centered stance, camber between feet, rocker outside, longer nose, shorter tail. Kinda like K2 Party Platter or Ride Superpig.

3 weeks sounds insane. Maybe something is not right with your curing process (it is not fully cured after taking it out of the press). Once you take the laminate out of the bag/press/whatever it starts absorbing moisture. Depending on humidity it reaches equilibrium ~4-6 days. It affects some internal stresses in the laminate but I don't think You would notice as big of a difference as you described (and what's more important, it should become softer). It's probably not cured fully or you do something wrong during layup.
Very cool! I would like to make a press out of some I beam and firehose like your buddy has there.

Yeah, probably. Layup and pressing in a barn with freezing temps is my main issue. I think 4-6 days would be much better than riding them the same day or the day after they come out of the press. A cnc router would make the cores a lot more precise as well. It’s raining now so I might work on a frame rather than a board today.

When are you going to show us your latest bikes?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Normally my mom whinges at me for spending too much at Christmas/Birthdays, this Christmas I gave her a picture of a bike with an I owe you on it. She didn't say shit about the cost and looked really excited, she hasn't had a bike for over 40yrs, dad was the same and he rides 2-3 times a week now.

Due to a long waiting period on the decent-ish one I had to order the cheaper model so I am ordering bits before it arrives to make it less shit.
Have a 12spd Sunrace groupset coming with their fancy rear mech and a PRO Tharsis 3Five dropper, I looked at cheap droppers but they were up to 300g heavier than the Pro, wheels may get done too if they are exceedingly heavy.
1640834318790.png

EDIT- Upgrades have cost more than the bike, V12 Mag pedals, 12spd drivetrain, PRO Tharsis dropper. Wolf Tooth lever, Astute carbon railed seat, M9000 XTR cranks, Topeak Tourist rack, ODI F-1 Dreadlock grips, SQ Lab carbon bar, may do some Magura MT4 brakes down the track.

Attachments

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Normally my mom whinges at me for spending too much at Christmas/Birthdays, this Christmas I gave her a picture of a bike with an I owe you on it. She didn't say shit about the cost and looked really excited, she hasn't had a bike for over 40yrs, dad was the same and he rides 2-3 times a week now.

Due to a long waiting period on the decent-ish one I had to order the cheaper model so I am ordering bits before it arrives to make it less shit.
Have a 12spd Sunrace groupset coming with their fancy rear mech and a PRO Tharsis 3Five dropper, I looked at cheap droppers but they were up to 300g heavier than the Pro, wheels may get done too if they are exceedingly heavy.
View attachment 169606
Nice one! We got my mom an ebike and she rode 250 days last year. Nice to see her getting out there and having adventures.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nice one! We got my mom an ebike and she rode 250 days last year. Nice to see her getting out there and having adventures.
Jesus, 250 days is solid!
I'm not sure dad would ride with mom if she was an e-biker.
I have been looking at E-bike kits, I was hoping to find a BB mounted motor that had splined cranks, square taper should not exist these days.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
This is where I see e bikes having the biggest impact - getting the older generation moving/exercising. In some cases it is just the mom in a family group that has one, and my gut feel is she would not have joined the family ride without it.

Unfortunately it has also lead to groups of older dudes, with cash, getting fully kitted out and behaving badly (like heroes) on the trails. I think it’s probably due to a lack of trail etiquette that might have come from riding traditional bikes first?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is where I see e bikes having the biggest impact - getting the older generation moving/exercising. In some cases it is just the mom in a family group that has one, and my gut feel is she would not have joined the family ride without it.

Unfortunately it has also lead to groups of older dudes, with cash, getting fully kitted out and behaving badly (like heroes) on the trails. I think it’s probably due to a lack of trail etiquette that might have come from riding traditional bikes first?
It's the same thing with guns, drones, or anything else, it's about accessibility. When something becomes so much more accessible, it "unlocks" this behavior.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just wait until all assholes move from e-bikes on to Sur Rons or similar. You know, there you don't have to pedal at all.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's the same thing with guns, drones, or anything else, it's about accessibility. When something becomes so much more accessible, it "unlocks" this behavior.
Yup, back in the olden days the only people that drove 4WDs like fuckwitts were people that worked in the mines. When 4WDs became affordable and aftermarket parts did the same loads of people started driving like fuckwitts becuse they could afford to replace stuff broken through stupidity.
Some of the fire/power pole access roads near me are beyond fucked because of these people, I'd like to go for some night rides, re lock the gates they cut open and paint them in that super black non reflective paint on the back side.
Get off my lawn!

Why is there such a price difference between DMR V12s and Vaults? I just bought some V12 Mags for $100AU.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Just pulled the trigger on a Kona Honzo ESD frameset. It will be built using various stuff I have, like RaceFace Atlas bars, Renthal stem, DMR Vault pedals, RaceFace Vault hubs, drivetrain (XX1 11sp NOS, no less), etc. It should turn out super nice.

I will need a fork (Lyrik Ultimate), boost crankset (XT 170mm), brakes (SRAM G2 RSC), seat post (OneUp 180mm, rims (Flow MK4), CushCore, and a couple of other things. All these are the planned build and, hopefully, I'll be able to find these in the next few months. I am not in a hurry, as this will be my backup bike. It should certainly be more useable then my current backup bike, which is a classic Voodoo Bizango hardtail loaded with nice parts, but having a shit geometry from another era.

The plan is to eventually have the whole mountain bike fleet running Boost hubs, XD drivers, SRAM brakes, 27.5" and 29" wheels, etc. Currently, I have 4 mtb in the garage, with three wheel sizes, two steer tube sizes and 135/142/148 hubs. My mid-term goal is to get back a bit like it was in the good old days, where it was easier to mix and match components from one bike to the other. I think it's a nice plan! :)

I will report back in this thread once it's finished.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Just pulled the trigger on a Kona Honzo ESD frameset. It will be built using various stuff I have, like RaceFace Atlas bars, Renthal stem, DMR Vault pedals, RaceFace Vault hubs, drivetrain (XX1 11sp NOS, no less), etc. It should turn out super nice.

I will need a fork (Lyrik Ultimate TBC), boost crankset (XT 170mm TBC), brakes (SRAM G2 RSC TBC), seat post (OneUp 180mm, rims (Flow MK4 TBC), CushCore, and a couple of other things. Hopefully, I'll be able to find these in the next few months. I am not in a hurry, as this will be my backup bike. It should certainly be more useable then my current backup bike, which is a classic Voodoo Bizango hardtail loaded with nice parts, but having a shit geometry from another era.

The plan is to eventually have the whole mountain bike fleet running Boost hubs, XD drivers, SRAM brakes, 27.5" and 29" wheels, etc. Currently, I have 4 mtb in the garage, with three wheel sizes, two steer tube sizes and 135/142/148 hubs. My mid-term goal is to get back a bit like it was in the good old days, where it was easier to mix and match components from one bike to the other. I think it's a nice plan! :)

I will report back in this thread once it's finished.
Post pics and a ride review!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Those guys are cool, the shop is 10 minutes from my house.
It's nice having a local source for shims/small parts and tuning knowledge.

The guy (Anthony) rips on a bike as well!
Yeah I was super impressed with him and his excitement for it..what was really cool was his positive feedback for vorsprung...
Yeah he's a good resource to have local for sure...

I havent had a chance to ride the vorsprung secus yet but I. Ordering flat piston for the 180mm from Diaz...I'll ride the secus and get some trail time then swap to runt...both companies were positive about each other.. vorsprung was very positive about Anthony as well..
This is what's "Right" with the industry, guys like them

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think I paid for at the beginning when it was still a concept. That might be how I got it yesterday.

Are you testing an Arrival currently? Pretty amazing what Vlad and Dustin have done there.
Got my Switchgrade today. This is fucking slick.

And yep, just wrapped up the Arrival review. It's easily one of my favorite bikes I've been on this year, I'm a huge fan.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Most of the bits for mom's new bike, shouldn't be too many step throughs with carbon bars and carbon railed seats, but a bit of lipstick on a pig never hurt-
P_20220113_091951_1.jpg

I had planned on getting some NOS American Classic wheels but can't find a QR adaptor for the front hub.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Most of the bits for mom's new bike, shouldn't be too many step throughs with carbon bars and carbon railed seats, but a bit of lipstick on a pig never hurt-View attachment 170237

I had planned on getting some NOS American Classic wheels but can't find a QR adaptor for the front hub.
Your mom wants a racy seat and dropper post? A new seat is the first thing my mom wanted... and a cushy one at that!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Your mom wants a racy seat and dropper post? A new seat is the first thing my mom wanted... and a cushy one at that!
The seat was just so cheap I had to buy it, she can try it and if it's no good the lounge chair type one can go back on.

The main reason I wanted this fame was because it can run a dropper and the ST is sized to suit. Mom has had a double knee replacement and hasn't ridden a bike for ~40yrs, anything to make it easier to ride is good.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
New XTR cranks and a Sun Race cassette is a rare mix! (I know they are NOS)
Yeah I have no issue with Sunrace cassettes, I'm still running a road 11spd Sunrace cass with a short cage Saint mech and Protone cranks.
There's no way I could bring myself to spend huge dollars on a cassette, cranks last forever so I have no issue spending a bit on them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, I did ask Manitou if they would do another 1.5" fork, they said no but pressing in a NOS 1.5" steerer may be possible.
Tapered is stupid.
tapered is about the only industry standard that's (A) actually a standard and (B) makes sense. 1.5 straight died because it was a ton of extra weight for not a lot of extra stiffness.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
tapered is about the only industry standard that's (A) actually a standard and (B) makes sense. 1.5 straight died because it was a ton of extra weight for not a lot of extra stiffness.
Yeah but to make up for the flex in tapered steerers I have to run an Intend Stiffmaster which offsets any weight benefits of a tapered steerer.
I wouldn't buy a frame that won't accept one of them now.

EDIT- My last fork was 2.6kg with a tapered steerer, making it 1.5" would have added, what, 50g?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
dude, i got bad news if you think its the steerer that's flexing the most
Well, considering I had a 35mm alloy bar and the front end felt like a noodle under power, then I added a Stiffmaster and it felt loads better, I think that was probably the issue......
A 6" steerer tube leaves you with a lot of 1-1/8" steerer tube.
It is a cr-mo frame so I know there is flex through the frame but the movement at the stem was unacceptable, the Stiffmaster is a great bit of kit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, considering I had a 35mm alloy bar and the front end felt like a noodle under power, then I added a Stiffmaster and it felt loads better, I think that was probably the issue......
A 6" steerer tube leaves you with a lot of 1-1/8" steerer tube.
It is a cr-mo frame so I know there is flex through the frame but the movement at the stem was unacceptable, the Stiffmaster is a great bit of kit.
of course you're going to say that when you bought a $90 headset spacer.

also, i'll give you a hint. <<<its not the steerer that's flexing>>>

1642129044375.png