Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Well done if you do but hardly anyone regularly rides their mtb for 6 hours. Being out for 6 hours is rarely ever anywhere close to actually riding it for 6 hrs.
It's called summer time in the west. Your on island time apparently. People mash pedals for ridiculous amounts of time in a single outing all the time.

Shit, the whole point of riding bikes all winter and spring is so we can destroy 8-10 hour days in the woods during the summer and fall.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's called summer time in the west. Your on island time apparently. People mash pedals for ridiculous amounts of time in a single outing all the time.

Shit, the whole point of riding bikes all winter and spring is so we can destroy 8-10 hour days in the woods during the summer and fall.
6hrs of saddle time?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gravel riding?

Ahhh ahahhaa hahahhahahaahahhanaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Get a fucking roadbike. At least they're fast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean, if you are going out on 50+ mile MTB (NOT gravel) rides, ok, that would be 6hrs maybe...but less than that...you're standing around a bunch and it's not 6hrs of saddle time.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Gravel riding?

Ahhh ahahhaa hahahhahahaahahhanaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Get a fucking roadbike. At least they're fast
Lol who gives a shit about being fast, we care more about not getting killed by cars. Being able to ride over cracks and make surface transitions without eating poop is nice too.

I'll average 4-8 mph on long MTB rides - that can be as few as 24 miles with 6 hours of saddle time.

@Gary = no long rides and would rather ride pavement than a dirt road. ??? U no makey sensey

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Perineum of steel mate. :dirol:
But seriously with the lighter (140g) SLRs comfort comes from the flexible shell rather than padding. Wider moar padded saddles can give me sores riding daily so I've always gone back to an SLR.
Best saddle ever made. Got a Ti one and two kit carbonios.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ended up ordering a piece of 300x200mm adhesive repair leather from AliXpress (£0.70 delivered WTF? ) and using my daughters old arts n craft hot glue gun for the edges... Not the prettiest job... But it owed me nothing. Who knows if it'll hold up to the UK's finest riding conditions.
View attachment 214538View attachment 214539
That’s cool that you gave it a shot. Precisely right, no real downside to trying.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Lol who gives a shit about being fast, we care more about not getting killed by cars. Being able to ride over cracks and make surface transitions without eating poop is nice too.

I'll average 4-8 mph on long MTB rides - that can be as few as 24 miles with 6 hours of saddle time.

@Gary = no long rides and would rather ride pavement than a dirt road. ??? U no makey sensey
Fair enough man. We don't all live in the same place or have the same preferences. But I think we can all agree most people's regular mtb ride doesn't involve 6hrs+ of pedalling.

Don't assume I haven't ever ridden mtb or road rides with 6+ hrs of pedalling. But t's certainly not my regular ride. Especially at the moment with a 6day a week 20mile each way commute on those oh so scary roads.... I *could* ride there off road but it'd take twice as long.
Pavement in US = sidewalk HERE BTW.
Highway/freeway in the US = roads here and our are full of surface transitions/cracks and in general state of ill repair.
What do you guys call ordinary two way or single track roads over there? Ours go. Motorway, dual carriage way. A road, B road and then unclassified road, then(normally fairly narrow little used country roads). Then off road we have doubletrack, singletrack, bridleways and shared paths (walking/cycling) We don't actually have a huge amount of dirt roads. But do have full unlimited access

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Ended up ordering a piece of 300x200mm adhesive repair leather from AliXpress (£0.70 delivered WTF? ) and using my daughters old arts n craft hot glue gun for the edges... Not the prettiest job... But it owed me nothing. Who knows if it'll hold up to the UK's finest riding conditions.
Thanks for the info, I'll check this out!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Fair enough man. We don't all live in the same place or have the same preferences. But I think we can all agree most people's regular mtb ride doesn't involve 6hrs+ of pedalling.

Don't assume I haven't ever ridden mtb or road rides with 6+ hrs of pedalling. But t's certainly not my regular ride. Especially at the moment with a 6day a week 20mile each way commute on those oh so scary roads.... I *could* ride there off road but it'd take twice as long.
Pavement in US = sidewalk HERE BTW.
Highway/freeway in the US = roads here and our are full of surface transitions/cracks and in general state of ill repair.
What do you guys call ordinary two way or single track roads over there? Ours go. Motorway, dual carriage way. A road, B road and then unclassified road, then(normally fairly narrow little used country roads). Then off road we have doubletrack, singletrack, bridleways and shared paths (walking/cycling) We don't actually have a huge amount of dirt roads. But do have full unlimited access
5/6 hours of saddle time is the upper limit of my riding willingness. I dont get in good enough shape every year to bang out the big ones but it's always on the table!

Every state has their own road department so I can only really speak for my state.

Rural
Interstate highway
State highway
CountyPaved road
Gravel road
Dirt road
Gravel double track
Dirt double track
Rail trail paved/gravel
Singletrack

Urban
Interstate highway
State highway
Frontage road
Road
Boulevard
Street
Avenue
Lane
Rail trail
Double track (canal banks)
Singletrack

In my town it's every pedestrian for themselves - any expectation for a vehicle to yield to a pedestrian is a death wish. Its ok though because there are also 100s of miles of canal banks to explore.

I've been to other communities where all the vehicles stop way ahead and pedestrians can walk/bike safely.

Last week I drove from Alabama to Washington State - thats like 4000 kilometers point to point. I went through 11 states - I saw so many road conditions as each state manages theirs differently. Missouri has nice highways!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In my town it's every pedestrian for themselves - any expectation for a vehicle to yield to a pedestrian is a death wish. Its ok though because there are also 100s of miles of canal banks to explore.

I've been to other communities where all the vehicles stop way ahead and pedestrians can walk/bike safely.
Over here. pretty much every residential area and built up towns are 20mph limits. (Though cycling through them daily at around 20mph if it's flat. it's pretty obvious hardly anyone at all adhere's to it while driving)
We've always been pretty good at looking out for pedestrians while driving. and our countryside still has horse riders to look out for.
We have pedestrian crossings in towns and cities but it's the norm to just cross anywhere. So because of this drivers will tend to be looking out for pedestrians. A couple of years ago a new law was passed meaning any pedestrian crossing at a junction had right of way over any vehicle... this sounds great... But considering many pedestrians these days are looking at their phones, listening to music on headphones or just plain in their own bubble heading to a destination.. In practice it's just plain dangerous. No one ever looks before stepping off a kerb to cross a junction anymore meaning as a driver (or bike rider) you now have to be part psychic when turning left into another road. (like a right turn to you).
Scotland and Wales have slightly different laws to England. But pretty much all the above applies throughout the UK.
I don't really deem road cycling too dangerous here simply because I've done it all my life. in reality it's obviously a lot less safe than cycling off road. This morning I was close passed by a twat in van doing about 50 on an A road less than a foot away from my elbow when the road ahead was clear so could have given me tons of room and an old biddie pulled straight out of a junction in front of me on my way home. It's a little saddening but I'm just used to stuff like that happening most days.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I keep changing parts on my 5-year-old Meta to keep the flame alive. Just installed new Crank Brothers Stamp 2 pedals recently and the new RXF38m.2 yesterday. First ride with the new fork tomorrow, we'll see how it compares to the Domain RC I just removed
:happydance:
meta24.jpg

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I upgraded my ebike's Zeb from Charger 3 to 3.1. Feels more different than I expected. Transitions better from comp to reb, I had to actually close rebound 1 click from what I had before because it was too pogo-y, but it still feels smooth and not packing. The new HSC is nice, running middle of the range of that now (was -1 from center), makes me want smash stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
MRP Lift Damper:

Mostly, the work worked pretty great. During shuttling and other stuff, it's easy to "bump" the compression adjuster that turns quite easily, so check your settings often and early IME.

I could only run 0-1 clicks in without harshness. I was pushing hard down the trails, hard as my blown shoulder would allow, but I was able to step it up a bit over what I'd been doing the last few weeks. So while I still was not near 100%, I was able to hit stuff pretty hard. On drops and a lot of stuff I had to "dead sailor" more and ride it out hard on the nose, which the fork was just fine with. It seemed to keep up good with big hits. I might have been at 7 clicks of rebound the first day, and I backed it off one on the second to 6 in, which seemed to work smooth. I didn't have situations where the fork was stuck deep in travel and then couldn't react for the next bump, I got a little of that if I increased the rebound, but also not too dramatic to where I thought it was hammering. Same with compression, 0-1 seemed ok, fork had great support to ride it hard on steeps w/o diving. It was an interesting feel riding the brakes so hard whilst the fork was still working great. IME, a lot of time that causes a lot of deep-stroke spiking/harshness. So that made picking the way down rough steeps pretty nice. You combine that with high-power brakes and big rotors and it can just make what is terrifying on another bike a dream and fun to ride. Occasionally I had the compression at 3 and I experimented with more on this trip too, but it always seemed to transfer impacts more to my hands, negating any stability benefits. I got within a couple mm of full travel. I had lowered the pressure as stated before due to more damping in the cartridge. If I was riding at full power I would have had slightly more and added a few more PSI in my tires too.

And what didn't seem to go quite as well was more isolated rock bumps, like ~6" high or so, plus and minus some, still rock gardens, but not ultra-steep. This was at Raging River, where the terrain is a little different than Tiger Mtn. I may have had that 3 compression setting though and not backed it off like in the subsequent days, but I remember having some of this on some local trails too, where I had already played with the range more. I seem to get this even more from my rear shock. It did great in 3/4 rides, but only so-so at RR and it has the same issue with the more isolated rock bumps. So I'll play around a little more in these conditions, but the Lift was pretty outstanding at least 3/4 rides in some great tech terrain, riding hard.

The last time I rode Darrington and Out of the Blue I rode it down non-stop, which is 2800 vertical and lots of steep sections. This is a trail where you are on the brakes almost all the time, you let off, but then you gotta get right back on hard, or in the other sections you just have to have them on constantly. I would have no problem I think riding down non-stop with the Lift. Everything about it seemed to contribute to making that possible. We were riding as a group and making sure everyone was safe, which also helps spread it out a bit more and makes it a little more savory IME, my shoulder agreeing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I keep changing parts on my 5-year-old Meta to keep the flame alive. Just installed new Crank Brothers Stamp 2 pedals recently and the new RXF38m.2 yesterday. First ride with the new fork tomorrow, we'll see how it compares to the Domain RC I just removed
:happydance:
View attachment 214902
I'm not normally a "Holy shit, that's a nice looking bike!" kinda guy.

But.
Holy shit, that's a nice looking bike!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
New cranks are in. Now the question is whether I keep the "DH" rated spindle, or use the old non-DH spindle from my old cranks to save a bit of weight...

On the one hand, seems silly to put an old spindle on new cranks to save some weight. But on the other hand, of it saves weight and there's no downsides, then why not?

Fwiw, I broke my Race Face Sixc cranks and replaced them with aluminum Atlas'..

Last edited: