Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been thinking about moving away from them as well, using a strap for tube and doing the oneup pump/tool watercollte cage attachment. The only place I think I'd really need a pack then is for backcountry rides over 20 miles when I need more food/hydration. I do wear my pack with button down shirts with no issues - did you feel like the shirt rides up too much?
that's where i'm at. I installed an EDC earlier this season, and on most rides i don't need to carry a pack. only thing in my pocket is car ket, photo id, and maybe chapstick.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I thought this thread was about bikes not fanny packs. :busted:

Because DH bikes still poop all over any trail bike ever made no matter how big the single crown fork or how large the wheels and tires and because @jackalope wants my GG/DH, I did some aggressive drinking which led directly to this purchase. No ride time yet as I just built it up this weekend but initial noodling about suggests it was designed for smashing stuff. Will report back after some real riding.

IMG_7813.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Because DH bikes still poop all over any trail bike ever made no matter how big the single crown fork or how large the wheels and tires and because @jackalope wants my GG/DH, I did some aggressive drinking which led directly to this purchase. No ride time yet as I just built it up this weekend but initial noodling about suggests it was designed for smashing stuff. Will report back after some real riding.

View attachment 137305
OOOOOOH . . . . intriguing.
considering beech, sugar, or bailey this saturday . . . whatcha think? :brows:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It started with heat management for me. But I also felt like on 95% of my rides all I was bringing was a pump, a multi-tool, a spare tube and usually I drank about 1.2 l of water. It dawned on my that I could carry all those things on my bike, without a need for a pack. It helped that I already had a paid of bibs (Spesh Swat) with back pockets. I put a 500ml folding water bottle in the centre pocket of the bibs, and until last week I put my multitool in one of the side pockets. But last week I got an OneUp EDC tool for my steerer tube, with a CO2 screwed into it. I have a pump clipped and strapped next to my water bottle cage, and a spare tube strapped to the frame. As the days get cooler and my water consumption goes down, I probably won't even need the extra water in my bibs (and therefore the bibs either).

One thing I noticed after ditching the pack is that my shoulders didn't ache as much after a ride. Or rather, they were fresher during the ride. I'm still as hot on the climbs, but the heat dissipates much quicker the second you get moving again.

The added bonus is that I can now wear button-up shirts, further distancing myself from the middle-aged, mid-life crisis-having spandex warriors.
Similar to me. I tried my new Lab Austere this summer and I have not used a backpack since. I have recurrent back problems and it's really a relief to have nothing on my back. Removing the bladder full of water from the backpack last year was great, but removing the backpack altogether this year is really noticeable.

I carry a pump and a water bottle on my bike + a multitool, tire plugs, car key, lift pass, energy bar and safety material in the hip bag. For longer rides, I add a water bottle and a tube in the hip bag.

I do feel more exposed if I crash however... It's the only downside IMO.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Installed a HC97. Early findings based on recommended compression settings from Push -
  • When pointed downhill front wheel traction is really really good. It's similar to how the 11-6 I had was in the rear. Might be the best I've ever experienced.
  • A lot more support than the stock Charger 2, it's using significantly less travel on the same trail.
  • Unlike the first gen 11-6 I had the rebound still feels active.
  • Need to get some longer runs on it to be sure, but seems to be sending less feedback through the hands at DH speeds.
  • Low speed climbing/traversing it's sending more feedback through the bars.
I'll get it out for some longer runs and a bracketing session this weekend.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Installed a HC97. Early findings based on recommended compression settings from Push -
  • When pointed downhill front wheel traction is really really good. It's similar to how the 11-6 I had was in the rear. Might be the best I've ever experienced.
  • A lot more support than the stock Charger 2, it's using significantly less travel on the same trail.
  • Unlike the first gen 11-6 I had the rebound still feels active.
  • Need to get some longer runs on it to be sure, but seems to be sending less feedback through the hands at DH speeds.
  • Low speed climbing/traversing it's sending more feedback through the bars.
I'll get it out for some longer runs and a bracketing session this weekend.

I echo all of your comments. I did back off LSC 2-3 clicks from recommended settings.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 137305
Sweet bike.

Dumb question time: do you need to buy two chains for that?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not dumb at all. I actually bought it lightly used complete and swapped a few parts. But I have the same question. FWIW there is only 1 quicklink in the chain suggesting at least oem is a single chain.
As far as I know OE chains can be ordered endless on a drum, so that bike manufacturers can just take the length that they need and don't waste links when shortening. Similar to how the housing of cables are sold.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Short version: the HSP is bad ass. Eats roots and chatter amazingly. Totally silent. Super fun bike. Was a little worried it would feel too planted but it jumps great. Long version coming after moar saddle time.

1F69710F-6C6C-441F-A007-D2008B1EED39.jpeg

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Man, that HSP is awesome. I am still on the regular Aurum because my old ass can't seem to outride it,
but if I was to switch it out it would be to that!
I can’t claim that I’ll push its performance envelope but it’s not like you have to be going 110% to have fun on it. No doubt you’d kill on one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can’t claim that I’ll push its performance envelope but it’s not like you have to be going 110% to have fun on it. No doubt you’d kill on one.
Ironically, I just had to get 2 root canals and 2 crowns done, so I will not be getting anything new, but I am sure I just bought my dentist a Yeti. It feels so good to give back. :twitch:
Ha, enjoy that thing man. My buddies who have them love them for sure.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Ironically, I just had to get 2 root canals and 2 crowns done, so I will not be getting anything new, but I am sure I just bought my dentist a Yeti. It feels so good to give back. :twitch:
Ha, enjoy that thing man. My buddies who have them love them for sure.
You’re a saint! Reavis knows the mouth doctors need better bikes. I talked to Devault a bunch before throwing down. He loves it and that was enough for me.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Short version: the HSP is bad ass. Eats roots and chatter amazingly. Totally silent. Super fun bike. Was a little worried it would feel too planted but it jumps great. Long version coming after moar saddle time.
You went sleeveless, padless, full faceless but then screwed up. This bike is meant to be ridden gloveless (ask Sam B.)!!! :D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Yep. @Jeremy R knows what's up. It was 93 here with meat index of (fucking) 99 degrees in late September (thanks, AOC). I actually had to mellow out my ride cause I felt like shit pushing a big bike around those jumps.

There's about 5 weeks a year when no gloves is a thing in NC.... Guess I need to move to NZ.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Semi serious question.

Why does there always seem to be random stuff sitting in the gap of a double.

I mean I have seen couches ( or what is left of one above) chairs, washing machines, cars, random farm machinery, a small scrap yard etc...

Who hauls this stuff out there, and especially why haul it into the middle of your line?

I mean I can kind of see a mattress or something to crash on when watching your peeps getting some airtime, but a washing machine or similar?

Why?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Semi serious question.

I mean I have seen couches ( or what is left of one above) chairs, washing machines, cars, random farm machinery, a small scrap yard etc...

Who hauls this stuff out there, and especially why haul it into the middle of your line?

I mean I can kind of see a mattress or something to crash on when watching your peeps getting some airtime, but a washing machine or similar?

Why?
Fair questions. This one was found left on the side of the road near our spot. @jackalope hauled it in to serve as a spot to sit between runs. That was about 5 years ago. Weather and @jackalope's space dildo of a dog rendered it the shit pile that you see now. Our spot is also frequented by rednecks that leave all manner of shit laying around. We've found old sinks, a toilet, and various disgards from failed off road recovery efforts laying around. Sadly, not all of us have thousands of acres of pristine coniferous forest in which to build. We are in a neglected triangle of land in the midst of a research park... Way better than nothing (and bros have come from Western NC and been genuinely impressed) but not something you'll see in a PB photo epic either.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Semi serious question.

Why?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I strenuously disagree with the assertion that my beloved fur baby is some kind of cosmic phallice, randomly floating about and hitting friends in their man sack when their guard is down. On the contrary, my dear canine companion is of pure and regal stock, often striking a pose that clearly illustrates his noble character and friendly personality (even if his understanding of female dog anatomy is somewhat incomplete)

A true renaissance dog in my estimation.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
If you can ride gloveless in this Carolina humidity, you can conquer the world.
Ha, it is Sept. 26th and it is currently 92 degrees.
i am from western nc and have beheld that place in all its glory. i was most highly impressed and more than a little scared. it's the tits. and yeah, most places near civilization that you're gonna build have been highly redneckized in the past and you'll discover all manner of crap once you start digging around a little bit. it's awesome.

and i only wear gloves when it's cold. just can't do it otherwise. nope.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
16 maybe 17 year old King hub. Started as a quick-release setup. Then 10 by 135 bolt through. Then 12 by 142. Now with a little bit of J-B Weld and spacers it's a 12 by 148.

I recall freaking out about spending that much money on a hub way back when I bought it. It has more than lived up to the price of entry.

Creative space use also managed to convert the old school Hope Bulb 20 mm front hub that I bought at the same time to 15 mm boost spacing.

20190927_114520.jpg
15695997733081455661023029191471.jpg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I was never a fan of purple ano but day-amn.

1569643489607.png

Now for something I actually have.
Trail-bike fork is done - finally.

20190927_153933.jpg

Yari with Avalanche damper and DSD Runt.

Rear - RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT Coil with the Avy treatment.

20190927_154056.jpg

The whole thing.
Fugi - Copy.jpg

Last edited: