Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
@rideit - Let me know how your install process goes on those wolf tooth plugs. I have a set installed on my ENVE M60 bars and they were super hard to get into the bar even after trimming a ton of material. I need a tool to get my tool out...Trying to figure out if I am just an idiot.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Funny thing with the Ribbon is that I have more travel in 160 mm mode. I prefer it with the heavy spring, but in 170 mm the fork was too progressive for my weight and I was at least 3 cm from bottoming (and i tried...), now it makes all the travel and everything, the front is lower and supportive and I can load it with more confidence.
I have the same challenge with my coil Ribbon, but I don't see how limiting travel by 10mm makes it use travel for the same spring configuration. I just cannot get it to use the last 3cm, even with a lighter high speed damping.

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
I have the same challenge with my coil Ribbon, but I don't see how limiting travel by 10mm makes it use travel for the same spring configuration. I just cannot get it to use the last 3cm, even with a lighter high speed damping.
The Ramp Control is an air spring, in 170 mm the chamber is biggest, so it becomes too progressive at the end, even with Ramp control in minimal setting. Lower it and you'll get more travel, I red it in the Empty beer tread and it works. I even thought to ask Derek about removing the Ramp control somehow, or drilling some hole may be, but now I'm happy.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Michy.jpg

They work for The Man so why not try them. First impression out of the box are that they feel a bit light (1000g F, 1050g rear) compared to the Magic Mary (1180g) I've been running on the front. Although I've had a Hans Dampf on the rear for a few months at 1060g and not even one puncture, despite it losing 4 edge knobs on one side so far.

Will mount them up and give them a run. Trying the Muc-Off goop as well - its the same price as the e.13 stuff I've been using and it was in stock. Fingers crossed its as good as the reviews suggest, although I really don't wanna find out.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
This thing arrived today, should have it on the bike some time this weekend.
Looks excellent, it's beautifully machined and robust.

sb boner.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Finally swapped the crankset on the fat bike. Purchased the cranks two/three seasons ago at a local shop, totally forgot that I ordered and paid for them for over a year and picked them up sometime last spring. They've sat in the closet ever since.

Also got some sweet Oneup pedals for Christmas.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Got the Boner mounted, installation was trivial. Not sure if I should shorten the chain a bit or not, any input on that?
received_525154431450053.jpeg
received_180204230020047.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Ramp Control is an air spring, in 170 mm the chamber is biggest, so it becomes too progressive at the end, even with Ramp control in minimal setting. Lower it and you'll get more travel, I red it in the Empty beer tread and it works. I even thought to ask Derek about removing the Ramp control somehow, or drilling some hole may be, but now I'm happy.
I bought a used bike that had a ramp control cartridge in a Fox 36. If the ribbon has the same setup, there is an O-ring on the bottom of it that acts as a check valve to allow unrestricted extension. Remove it and you will have opened up the compression, it is essentially a position sensitive pneumatic high speed compression damper.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
New budget-ass trailwork steed (pulling a BOB with tools), also townie and XC / long ride bike. Built with used, free and hand-me-down parts. Think I can break the Deore cranks? It's my first 29er, and I like it. The last "hardcore hardtail" I had was a 2003 Voodoo with Z1. This thing is better.
Second photo is from a chainsaw day in the NF, clearing deadfall.

Also, I put a Shimano XT /e13 12 speed set-up on the Capra. No pics of that since it's always dirty, and I don't believe in washing bikes.

Is that an Big Dog?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think it’s great, though I haven’t had a hardtail trail bike in a very long time. It seems pretty stiff, and the STA, Reach and HA are spot on for me, I think.

It’s taking some getting used to coming from my main bike - Capra. For instance, I yank the rear brake and it feels like the brake isn’t working, and I need a rebleed, but really that’s because it’s a hardtail and it can’t maintain traction on the sandy and rocky trails here. That’s fun!

Also it’s my first 29er.
I have it a 150mm fork on the On One, and the geo seems good with that.

Yea - it was cheap! Dropper post cable routing is a little wonky. And it has rear rack mounts for some reason, so the nerd factor is kind of high!

How does it ride? I'm interested in one because of the price (and perhaps might be able to get one frome the UK).

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I think it’s great, though I haven’t had a hardtail trail bike in a very long time. It seems pretty stiff, and the STA, Reach and HA are spot on for me, I think.

It’s taking some getting used to coming from my main bike - Capra. For instance, I yank the rear brake and it feels like the brake isn’t working, and I need a rebleed, but really that’s because it’s a hardtail and it can’t maintain traction on the sandy and rocky trails here. That’s fun!

Also it’s my first 29er.
I have it a 150mm fork on the On One, and the geo seems good with that.

Yea - it was cheap! Dropper post cable routing is a little wonky. And it has rear rack mounts for some reason, so the nerd factor is kind of high!
Thanks for the info! I've been on a 27.5 Dartmoor Hornet hardtail since 2017 so I'm used to the brake jack :D. Similar numbers to the Big Dog although with a 73 STA. It is aluminum with large chainstays so it is very stiff. I try mitigating that with a 2.6 Forekaster in the rear.

If I do get the On One I might try a 2.6 27.5 in the rear. It should fit and perhaps the geo change wouldn't be too drastic.

Have you seen the frames (Hello Dave and Tiktik) that On One bought from Taiwan because Sick Bicycles couldn't pay for them? Quiet long and slack!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This thing arrived today, should have it on the bike some time this weekend.
Looks excellent, it's beautifully machined and robust.

View attachment 140153
I was going to ask if you could just go with an old sprung type chainguide and ditch the rear mech style tensioner.

I'm not sure what this person has done but I don't think have found the easy way tgo about things....

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Put the Michelin Wild Enduro pair on last week and went and did a bunch of runs on them on the weekend. I've been running a Ultrasoft Magic Mary front for the past couple of years and either a DHR2 DD or a SuperGravity Hand Dampf on the rear for comparison.

They didn't bead up as easily as Schwalbes do - requiring a valve removal and some lube on the bead to get them to pop into place on DT EX471s.

I gave the Michelins a good nudge after a few warm up laps to see. The front (22psi - 18psi) isn't as good on rock and gravel for either braking or cornering as a Mary in my opinion. It definitely rolls nicer (pretty sure every tyre ever rolls better than a Mary) and is a good 200g lighter, but it understeered and felt vague in the rocky gravelly chute lines. On soil its an on-par performer, really nice and aggressive but I think the block spacing is a bit too tight to work on gravel? It wasn't wet so no feedback on those conditions.

The rear survived 10 laps down trails that killed 3 x DD Minions in the same time which isn't scientific but shows promise. It actually turned quite well and drifted far more predictably than the Hans Dampf I had on there last weekend. During installation the sidewall felt more flimsy than the Schwalbe SuperGravity but punctures are a bit hard to predict so who knows which is actually tougher.

Ultimately though, I wasn't really loving the front and a buddy has offered to take them off me for near what I paid (he's selling his old Enduro bike and the tyres are flogged), so I'm probably gonna go that option and put the Schwalbe combo back on. Just wish Schwalbe would come up with something more than a Dampf, but less than a Mary for rear wheel use.