Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Mom's bike turned up pretty close to on time, sadly the XTR cranks were too narrow and can't be used.
Seems pretty odd that a glorified women's bike needs chainstays that can clear a 2.6" tire, it can't at the seatstays. Also the bottle mount is stupid
I still have to connect the dropper, seems I ordered a road brake cable set, also have to try to get a lower profile side exit bottle cage because of the lack of room.
P_20220207_162411.jpg

Magura MT5s should be here in a few days then I have to get some different cranks.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mom's bike turned up pretty close to on time, sadly the XTR cranks were too narrow and can't be used.
Seems pretty odd that a glorified women's bike needs chainstays that can clear a 2.6" tire, it can't at the seatstays. Also the bottle mount is stupid
I still have to connect the dropper, seems I ordered a road brake cable set, also have to try to get a lower profile side exit bottle cage because of the lack of room.
View attachment 171525
Magura MT5s should be here in a few days then I have to get some different cranks.

Put a dual crown on it.

And maybe a sweet bell and some tassles on the handlebar.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Put a dual crown on it.

And maybe a sweet bell and some tassles on the handlebar.
Hmmmm, I was looking for a straight steerer suspension fork.....
I have some tassels from my bike somewhere.
It came with a bell but contacts the lock ring on the grip and doesn't work because of it, I'll get a Knog bell, that will work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmmmm, I was looking for a straight steerer suspension fork.....
I have some tassels from my bike somewhere.
It came with a bell but contacts the lock ring on the grip and doesn't work because of it, I'll get a Knog bell, that will work.

There is a lady, probably well into her 60s or 70s, I see motoring up the hill in front of my house on a bike like that every day. Makes the dweebs on e-bikes seem even more absurd.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Finally almost have the single speed build done.
Just waiting for a rear brake to arrive and it's done!
Custom paint job with the silver at the front colour matched to the silver of the pike ultimates.
Hope Pro4 hubs in black with the black floating rotors.
Roam industries carbon rims 32h 29" 35mm external/30mm internal
Hope Tech3 V4's in silver with silver braided lines
Raceface turbine cranks
32t Absolute black chainring
Black KMC chain
16t Box cog
Alfine tensioner
Oneup 34mm post with wolf tooth lever
SDG "Chepi saddle
Anvl Mandrel bars
Chromag Hifi 35mm stem
CHris King ZS headset
Production Privee grips
PNW Loam pedals

whipitgood.jpg

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Finally almost have the single speed build done.
Just waiting for a rear brake to arrive and it's done!
Custom paint job with the silver at the front colour matched to the silver of the pike ultimates.
Hope Pro4 hubs in black with the black floating rotors.
Roam industries carbon rims 32h 29" 35mm external/30mm internal
Hope Tech3 V4's in silver with silver braided lines
Raceface turbine cranks
32t Absolute black chainring
Black KMC chain
16t Box cog
Alfine tensioner
Oneup 34mm post with wolf tooth lever
SDG "Chepi saddle
Anvl Mandrel bars
Chromag Hifi 35mm stem
CHris King ZS headset
Production Privee grips
PNW Loam pedals

View attachment 171527
Niiice! Could you please provide some feedback on the Good Year tires once you have some riding time on them?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Niiice! Could you please provide some feedback on the Good Year tires once you have some riding time on them?
They were on sale over here recently and the buddies of mine that tried them didn't even get a month's use before going back to Maxxis offerings. Apparently the breakaway point was like an on-off switch on our dirt and the casings weren't up to the same abuse.

Could be a crappy batch or something though

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Ordered a fresh HS2 rotor, because I managed to get mineral oil on mine and after 4+ rounds of sanding and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, it still randomly will start making awful noises and vibrate. Of course this means that round 5 of cleaning will finally exorcise the ghost, but at least I'll have a spare then.

And a DHR DD because the dust is deeper than it was last August, and my Dissector isn't cutting it. I lined up on a rut filled with dust today, grabbed brake and just kept going at exactly the same speed lol.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ordered a fresh HS2 rotor, because I managed to get mineral oil on mine and after 4+ rounds of sanding and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, it still randomly will start making awful noises and vibrate. Of course this means that round 5 of cleaning will finally exorcise the ghost, but at least I'll have a spare then.

And a DHR DD because the dust is deeper than it was last August, and my Dissector isn't cutting it. I lined up on a rut filled with dust today, grabbed brake and just kept going at exactly the same speed lol.
this happened to my rear rotor. baked the pads twice; cleaned the rotor a bunch...just living with the random howls for the time being...i even have a spare rotor and set of pads in the parts bin :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A rotor shouldn't be that difficult to decontaminate, sure it isn't the pads?

Also:

1644285208188.png

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
A rotor shouldn't be that difficult to decontaminate, sure it isn't the pads?

Also:
Fresh pads, properly bedded in and it still howls. It's less frequent than it was, so I feel like I'm making progress, but the rotor looks mint. Bolts are all properly torqued and everything.

I ran out of Brakleen, figured iso was good enough.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Large rotors on small calipers IME can howl bad. Natural frequency of the pads vibrating and being resonant with the rotor, caliper and frame. Beefier rotors do seem to help a bit with this, but it ain’t contamination IME.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Large rotors on small calipers IME can howl bad. Natural frequency of the pads vibrating and being resonant with the rotor, caliper and frame. Beefier rotors do seem to help a bit with this, but it ain’t contamination IME.
I know what you mean (buddy had similar sound when he tried 220 HS2s on his bike), but I'm running Codes and ran the same rotor / pad / brake combo fine for several months until I had the brilliant idea of trying my MT7s again after a year of running Codes. The MT7s had been sitting (pads on) in the bottom of a drawer all this time, and as soon as I mounted them, they wouldn't stop at all (pads very obviously badly contaminated). Because I was being lazy and the HS2s being the same thickness as the Storm HC rotors, I didn't change rotors. I pulled the MT7s off immediately but apparently the contamination transferred to the rear rotor.

The weird part is today it was perfectly fine on the longer, steeper trail I rode first, but on the mellower, flatter trail it came back.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Could be a piston rollback issue and maybe they need an oily massage to get things moving properly?

I finished a new front triangle last night. This is a short travel version of the last one.
150-175mm of rear travel depending on shock. It can run a 205x65 or a 185x55 with an extender which is better for mitigating side loading on the trunion shock.

Mullet setup-
63*, 345mm bb, 35% progression, 435/450mm cs, 76* sa, 465mm reach, room for low seat height with a 210mm dropper.
Assuming this thing went together as planned….

B20BF7B8-64C1-4F90-9FAC-91E75164864E.jpeg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Yes buckoW, 150mm travel mullet ticks all the boxes. Not much out there at the moment, with most mullets having more travel. My ultimate would be a 140mm-150mm mullet built to take a beating. Looking fwd to the finished build

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Banshee Titan, just sayin...
Really like Banshee’s but the Reach numbers are too short (for me) and stepping up a size means a longer seat tube with a little too much Reach. The Titan also has long chainstays and I would want to demo one to see if I could get on with it, and finding a mullet config to demo is unlikely

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
#make coil shocks normal again
Haha, There was an X2 air shock on there but,
1. Didn’t look right
2. I put the bend in the down tube in the wrong spot so the piggyback hit the DT and bottom out. The downtube decided the max rear travel... Squint eye engineering sans armchair.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yup to both above. It hold two full liter water bottles, or one water, and one bear spray. (Which I know should be worn on my hip). The thing absolutely shreds. Well, as much as I can make it, of course! :banana:

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Its so magical that when I'm done riding the rest of my day is like mid speed butter..feels like walking in Cadillacs..
Yes.

Yari Avy Smashpot.jpg

:stupid:

@StiHacka - Price wise it was not TOO bad.
600 for the damper ( has fvat/hsb, no abs as the smashpot covers bottom out.)
330 for the Smashot
375 for the Pinkbike new in box Yari

This helps too,
RS SD RCT Coil.jpg

RS SuperDeluxe RCT

Last edited: