Quantcast

NHL Playoffs . . .

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
what was kobasew thinking? they have a 3 on 2, 2 guys going to the net. rather than shooting and having a rebound pop out in front, he decides to cut to the middle and try a drop pass.....can't believe the bruins lost to the whalers. living in NC only makes it worse having to drive in this morning having to listen to hockey "fans" talk about the game.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what was kobasew thinking? they have a 3 on 2, 2 guys going to the net. rather than shooting and having a rebound pop out in front, he decides to cut to the middle and try a drop pass.....can't believe the bruins lost to the whalers. living in NC only makes it worse having to drive in this morning having to listen to hockey "fans" talk about the game.
That Kobasew play was a terrible decision and very unlike him. Total brain fart on his part.

Boston didn't have anyone just step up - elevate their game and dominate in the OT period. Chara - the guy's 6'9" tall fer cryin out loud - he SHOULD be more dominant on both ends of the ice than he is.

I mean Pittsburgh had guys like Malkin and Crosby just take their game to the next level in OT, same for Ovechkin to a degree, and other teams as well had guys who really stepped it up and forced the issue in OT. Boston did not get that at all from the likes of Chara, Savard, Kessel etc. in OT - they were just average - and in a Game 7 average is not good enough.

It was also somewhat uncharacteristic for Thomas to play that shot from Whitney as poorly as he did - usually he gobbles shots like that up.

Well it looks like splat and I can now root for the same team going forward the rest of the way.

Go Blackhawks!!!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
living in NC only makes it worse having to drive in this morning having to listen to hockey "fans" talk about the game.
so why are they not still in hartford?

something to do with their fans sucking maybe?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
so why are they not still in hartford?

something to do with their fans sucking maybe?
I moved to CT post-Whalers era - but I'm pretty sure the fans came out for the games really well. IAB can confirm or refute.

I think a couple of the issues were the Arena was getting old (it is still around though to this day). I'm not sure of the rest of the story.

However, now that I do live in the Hartford area - it sucks that there is no NHL in Connecticut.

Hartford really could use a new state of the art arena - but it is hard to justify building without a true major league sports franchise (be it hockey or otherwise) located here.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Of all people to score the OT goal but hey you have to go back to that drop pass right before that. Just get the puck on net.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Red Wings were the better team today.

Toews - needs to step up his game in a big way (and Quennville needs to give him more ice time). Same thing for Patrick Kane.

Osgood made the key saves when he had to.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
No matter how average Osgood plays in the regular season he seems to play out of his mind when it gets to the playoffs.

I think Ward is going to struggle a bit in this series just like Varlamov did towards the end of the last series. If the Pens get the puck to the net like they did in the Caps series I think Ward will come back to earth.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Comparing Ward to Varlamov - not a good comparison.

Varlamov was thrown into the fire. Ward has a Stanley Cup ring.

With that said - Ward will have to be THE BEST player in that series for the Hurricanes to have a chance in hell to beat Pittsburgh.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Comparing Ward to Varlamov - not a good comparison.

Varlamov was thrown into the fire. Ward has a Stanley Cup ring.

With that said - Ward will have to be THE BEST player in that series for the Hurricanes to have a chance in hell to beat Pittsburgh.
Yeah I should not have said it like that but what I meant was when you have to play out of your mind every game for your team to win you are going to play some crappy games here and there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ugh - what is it with the Blackhawks' Defenseman and their costly turnovers.

Two costly turnovers in game 1 and Two more in game two.

Seabrook is having a tough series so far with his turnovers, and that play by Campbell in OT was just bad bad bad.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
As much as I hate the Redwings the deserved to win last night. I hope they run Brian Campbell out of Chicago for making that blind pass in overtime.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Osgood totally bailed out the Wings last night. That was their 4th game in a week, and you could tell they didn't have any legs. I thought Chicago thoroughly outplayed Detroit for most of the game, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

On a side note, it's too bad everyone hates the Wings so much in here. They play an exciting style of hockey and have maybe the best ownership/front office in all of professional sports. I wish they'd fight a little more, but if I have to choose between rough play and 18 consecutive playoff appearances, I'll take the victories.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
On a side note, it's too bad everyone hates the Wings so much in here. They play an exciting style of hockey and have maybe the best ownership/front office in all of professional sports.
It's Red Wings envy. They are a first class organization, they play the game the right way, and they are not a bunch of penalty-happy thugs. There is no other explanation for the hate other than jealousy, especially since they are still dominant in the salary cap era.

Nine straight 100 point seasons, beeotches.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It's Red Wings envy. They are a first class organization, they play the game the right way, and they are not a bunch of penalty-happy thugs. There is no other explanation for the hate other than jealousy, especially since they are still dominant in the salary cap era.

Nine straight 100 point seasons, beeotches.
I was a huge Av's fan in the Roy days so I learned to despise the Red Wings. I love watching Osgood play though, great goalie and he totally deserves the attention and the cup.

I would like to see pittsburgh win though since the Bruins are now out.:disgust1:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Being an Avs fan is a good reason to hate Detroit. :D (tonyhawk, I am looking in your direction!)

BTW, what's this about Roy being offered the Avs' head coaching job? LOLZERS@!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I hate Detroit...but some of my favorites of all time have been Wings. Yzerman, Howe, Shannahan, Probert etc.

Good game by the Hawks, I think they got some ego points out of it. But they need to take both games at the UC and draw even. The Wings can be beaten...

Campbell has been playing great this playoffs...too bad he screwed the pooch in OT.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't hate the Wings - in fact, I enjoy their style of hockey. I guess I'd just like to see someone else other than them hoist the cup.

WTF is up with no game last night???? I was jonesin for more playoff hockey.