Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Were Noleen shocks used on anything but K2 bikes? Not to say that one couldn't have been purchased as an aftermarket replacement but as far as I know K2 was the only manufacturer to spec Noleen as the OEM shock.
I believe K2 bought Noleen. Prior to that I think they used a proprietery elasomer shock.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Were Noleen shocks used on anything but K2 bikes? Not to say that one couldn't have been purchased as an aftermarket replacement but as far as I know K2 was the only manufacturer to spec Noleen as the OEM shock.
Didn't the first GR RTS come with Noleen shocks? Anyway, that bike looks really familiar, i cannot quite place it yet, but it reminds me of a frame that one of the major mail order shops in the US was selling during the 90s without any brandname on it... so i guess that doesn't really help :confused:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Didn't the first GR RTS come with Noleen shocks? Anyway, that bike looks really familiar, i cannot quite place it yet, but it reminds me of a frame that one of the major mail order shops in the US was selling during the 90s without any brandname on it... so i guess that doesn't really help :confused:
My old Team RTS had the Noleen piggyback three way adjustable shock on it.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
the khs fxt team in 96 i think maybe 95 had the noleen piggy back rez shock. and the fxt comp had the noleen shock but no piggy abck rez.

L

luelling

reminds me of the GT gearbox bike with a moto style seat. Can you imagine those bikes in really steep sections? there is no getting behind the saddle

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
i have never seen a dirt biker go down anything steep.
You haven't?

I've seen dirt bikers ride ridiculously steep, off camber, rocky chutes, all while holding the throttle open and looking for more speed. It's definitely way scarier to ride step stuff on the moto, though.

L

luelling

You haven't?

I've seen dirt bikers ride ridiculously steep, off camber, rocky chutes, all while holding the throttle open and looking for more speed. It's definitely way scarier to ride step stuff on the moto, though.
He was being sarcastic to my response. I still say that on a mtb it would harder to go downhill with a seat like that

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I wonder how much travel I could get in total with that. It would be sweet on a the back of a 10" bike with a cane creek thudbuster post.
the bike has 80mm off rear travel,just saw it on Ebay and those shock's looks like garbage.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
thats awesome! It looks like it was built around the long CS/slack HT of the early bikes. Can't imagine what it felt like to ride, or even turn.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Wasn't that the bike that didn't have a bottom-out mechanism, so it bottomed whenever the chainring/crank smacked the ground?

P.S. Who decided to switch from bolts like on that bike to freakin Allen bolts? Worst. Decision. Ever. Allen bolts are my mortal enemy. I've stripped more bolts on my DH bike than I care to admit.

L

luelling

I like that the early rear suspension bikes had rigid forks. I had a '93 Super V for a long time, I'll try and dig up a pic

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Top out is controlled by the shock resting against a strip of rubber on the top tube, that's classic!

Anyone notice the cable actuated (hydraulic???) disc brake or the huge granny gear on the rear cassette? I remember some pretty wild gear ratios but nothing that absurd on the cassette, usually it was something like a 15 toot chainring.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Top out is controlled by the shock resting against a strip of rubber on the top tube, that's classic!

Anyone notice the cable actuated (hydraulic???) disc brake or the huge granny gear on the rear cassette? I remember some pretty wild gear ratios but nothing that absurd on the cassette, usually it was something like a 15 toot chainring.
Good observations, i totally missed that. Now does this thing have a 24" rear wheel or is this bike just half a mile long?