Quantcast

Post your other rides!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
the earliest rallye golf's turn 25 years old and federal laws allow for importation of vehicles that old. Plus originally the rallye's were going through federalization so they're a good chance importing it will be a simple process. There were at one point 3 rallye's in the US with US bumpers and headlights. As for the emissions side of the G60's I dont imagine they are too far off from the corrado's powerplant. However there's alot of differences between the euro grind cams and emissions components from the standard 8valvers

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I will never own another car with a G60...
ahh bad experience owner. I've had 2 G60's and both were great. Sure the charger on one went and I paid 3K to send it to belguim and get the full stage 4 workover. That was a fun corrado with no problems at all. Sadly it was mid-90's and nugget yellow of course I had black TSW Hockenheim R's with yellow time-attack stripe. Damn, I never thought how ahead of the curve I was of stupid trends. wish i had pics of that car.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
ahh bad experience owner. I've had 2 G60's and both were great. Sure the charger on one went and I paid 3K to send it to belguim and get the full stage 4 workover. That was a fun corrado with no problems at all. Sadly it was mid-90's and nugget yellow of course I had black TSW Hockenheim R's with yellow time-attack stripe. Damn, I never thought how ahead of the curve I was of stupid trends. wish i had pics of that car.
A friend of mine had a G60 raddo with all manner of Bahn Brenner go fast bits, and a custom transmission with a TDi 5th gear, he yanked the stock motor when he got it and rebuilt the entire thing with all new parts. The screw type charger will make your ears bleed at high rpms it was absolute insanity. Somehow reliable as well, I flogged it many times with the ham-fistedness only a 17 year old can dish out and it never flinched. That being said, every one that I have seen with over 100k is an absolute delight what with Volkswagen's recommended maintenance 50k past when the supercharger actually needed it... Electrical gremlins plagued a fair few as well.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Mine was rebuilt with a Lysholm SC, you could hear it from a mile away. It was a fantastic car, when it worked. Mine had a ton of electrical issues, I replaced it with a 2001 Integra type R, that was a fantastic car as well but with 100x the reliability.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Mine was rebuilt with a Lysholm SC, you could hear it from a mile away. It was a fantastic car, when it worked. Mine had a ton of electrical issues, I replaced it with a 2001 Integra type R, that was a fantastic car as well but with 100x the reliability.
I hear that, somehow that one didn't have any electrical issues, everything including the spoiler and sunroof worked perfectly, every other one I've ever seen has been a different story though. I think the Corrado is one car that everyone whether they like VW's or not needs to at least drive once.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I hear that, somehow that one didn't have any electrical issues, everything including the spoiler and sunroof worked perfectly, every other one I've ever seen has been a different story though. I think the Corrado is one car that everyone whether they like VW's or not needs to at least drive once.
I sold my corrado to a girl that worked at New Dimensions, told her the ground strap was attached to the head still (after the charger and head/cam work went down the mechanic re-attached it to the head not thinking) and that she'd be smart to have one of the techs at ND move it asap as that is a major source of engine fire issues on those G60's.

2 months later I found out it shorted and fried the entire engine harness. No amount of I told you so's could have communicated that to her. Heard through the grapevine she was angry at me and considered trying to sue, however I never heard from her.

Grossest thing though was, I decided to drive the G60 from orange county up to San Francisco to deliver it to her with the lady. We got up there and the girl and her boyfriend were living in some **** hotel and we went into the room to finish the paperwork and they were no less than 4 ashtrays that had been knocked over and mashed into the carpet. The once blue carpet was grossly grey and **** was everywhere. Mentioning I was tired from the drive she had said I could nap there if I wanted to, all I wanted to do was exit that room.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ahh yes the lysholm. loud as hell. Had a friend with one and people used to yap at him at lights all the time about whats wrong with his car.
I think one of the local VW club guys around here had one too. When he was driving around in a parking lot, his car sounded like an old skool fire engine.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think one of the local VW club guys around here had one too. When he was driving around in a parking lot, his car sounded like an old skool fire engine.
I had mine when I was in high school. I mastered the art of coasting into my driveway with the engine off at 3am on friday and saturday nights. Thankfully it was almost .5 miles long so I could get a long run up then cut the engine.:thumb:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
guys wanna see something kinda neat (or at least at the time I imported them) 20th anniversary GTI Edition interior. I had door cards and the rest of the crap sitting to the side. Not sure who else has imported these now but at the time I got front/rear seat and door cards off ebay.de for $1100, paid almost $900 to ship all that crap when things were said and done.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
guys wanna see something kinda neat (or at least at the time I imported them) 20th anniversary GTI Edition interior. I had door cards and the rest of the crap sitting to the side. Not sure who else has imported these now but at the time I got front/rear seat and door cards off ebay.de for $1100, paid almost $900 to ship all that crap when things were said and done.

woah.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Lots of sick rigs in here. I'll toss one more Vdub in to the mix.

03 Jetta GLS. Mostly stock other the neuspeed P-flow and then blacking out the roof. It's a great daily driver.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
every Subaru feels cheap. the interior "plastic," the doors made of balsa wood, the seats cushions made from a bar stool...
the MkIV and MkV interiors are amazing compared to a Subaru.
That was my biggest complaint coming from a MK3 GLX to a '06 WRX, the interior is just crap, and there's absolutely no storage nooks/pockets like the jetta.. It's a tradeoff, if anybody made something comparable to the WRX back in '06 I would have looked at it(closest car was the mazdaspeed6 and the lack of folding rear seats killed it for me).

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA

NICE! I have a 20th Anniv. GTI and LOVE the interior. Which is why I hate interiors in all the newer cars. Nothing feels as solid and high(er) quality.

Buying a new car this fall that has 4 doors and can haul stuff and I know I'm already going to hate a.) the interior of every car and b.) the driving characteristics. But at least i'll be able to take the roof rack off the GTI :)

and my other ride as of a few months ago.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
why not get a passat wagon or 4 door gti
forgot to add that I want AWD/4WD and something with more interior vertical room. Pricing out a VW that has that is considerably more than other brands. AND I'm also taking a break from the VAG after the GTI's problem's ive dealt with.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Someone mentioned New Dimensions? I miss that place. That place was THE place for VW stuff. Once they stopped making their own custom boost gauge that they installed in their red Mk3 Turbo Golf, they went downhill fast. I still drive by their old shop once in a while. It's a flooring warehouse now I think.

The car I miss the most:

Too many mods to list. Crappy 1.3mp photos from my digi-cam back in 2003.

My current get-the-bicycles-around ride:

Nothing spectacular. K&N Drop in filter, Flowmaster exhaust, spacer lift in the front, and 17" Soft-8's with some cheap tires. It's 2wd. I never take it on dirt.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
That's pretty impressive! :thumb:

I have to ask why bother with the elevated rack over the truck bed? Why not just use the Dakine pad and throw them over the tail gate? Do you need the space or something? Just curious....
I would say w/ that many bikes and folks in the cab that the gear has to go somewhere. Makes me want to rig something up on my rig.
Watch those fast food drive thru's though.:thumb:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Was this one really yours? My coworker owns it now...

Yeah, I bought it new in 04 did shaved/molded euro bumpers, the Tech2's, coils, interior, stereo, smoothed/painted engine cover, magnaflow. Got bored like usual and sold it. Guy I sold it to was a DJ or event planner in SF (persian dude? cant remember his name) asked me to raise it up. Heard he popped the tranny and maybe had shift rod linkage issues in the intake manifold.

same dude? any pics of it now i'd love to see the condition its in now. Heres some more pics of it from either right before I sold it or when it had the shaved euro bumpers.

I probably miss that car the most out of the VW's. Does it still have the Lupo GTI steering wheel and shifter in it?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i love all the s4 love...

it's funny there are the guys that buy s4's new and keep them stock...

Then there are the guys like us who buy them and have some fun second hand...F'ing fantastic car with great styling, you just need some $$$ in the bank in the event **** goes south.

hilarious that tons of mtb guys also drive s4's it's a great all weather car with some gusto.