Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At 6'2" I now seem to fall exactly in the middle of the L and XL sizes for most new bikes. I don't need that level of indecision on bikes I can't demo! :)
At 5'11" I was exactly on the upper end of size M on my last two bikes and went with a large anyway. Not only am I happy with the decision but feel like I could go bigger. Those modern steep seat angles make the bikes feel smaller than they actually are when in the saddle. Both of mine have 76 deg SAs.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm 6'1" and am fully on the XL train these days, even as bikes have gotten bigger. That's after many (too many?) years of purposefully getting larges, partly because the head tubes on XL's always seemed too tall, which seems to be less of an issue now.

I feel like a bear in the circus on most larges now, even as they have stretched out.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm 6' even and my L Commie is a 495 reach. It works well with the 78.5 STA. It is a hella long bike! The trail I rode this morning has a -23% grade segment, and the bike goes good on that sort of thing.
I don't love the length on hiker-ass v-corner switchbacks... but those suck on every bike I've ridden, and I refuse to build my riding style or bike around badly-built hiker trails.

It climbs very comfortably with the steep STA plus the roomy reach. Typical climbs on my local loops are 8-10%.

The Jibbb's shorter reach should be more nimble for jibbing!!! and lower angle trails.

There are clear pros and cons on geo #s, depending what you ride. I am NEVER going back to a steep HA though now that my trail bike matches my old DH bike finally!

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yep... plus the big wheels.
I had a Large front triangle and traded it for a medium. I really like the m Size.
470mm reach and 29s are a lot for my moldy back. 465mm looks to be my max if I want to do any sort of piloting. I can passenger the shit out of longer bikes but I get bored and sore backed.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
At 6'2" I agree that 470mm reach seems to be the max for a playfull rig, possibly a little lower on a bike with adjustable geo (who runs their settings in trail mode anyway). Upping the reach has other benefits but I still think 480mm with 35-40mm stem is my limit. Still on 27 wheels and tend to stick with 330-335mm chainstays. Granted this setup works for the riding I do locally, and I would consider longer reach and CS if I were riding park or faster more open trails, but then I would be looking to increase travel also.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
At 6'2" I agree that 470mm reach seems to be the max for a playfull rig, possibly a little lower on a bike with adjustable geo (who runs their settings in trail mode anyway). Upping the reach has other benefits but I still think 480mm with 35-40mm stem is my limit. Still on 27 wheels and tend to stick with 330-335mm chainstays. Granted this setup works for the riding I do locally, and I would consider longer reach and CS if I were riding park or faster more open trails, but then I would be looking to increase travel also.
5'10 gorilla wingspan and on a L with 480 reach and a 45mm stem, but my riding is wide open and fast with wagon wheels. Coming from a very flickable 27.5 slack st/ short chainstay bike and a "jib" background i couldnt be any happier with this bike for my area

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If a long bike stops being playful can't you just go faster?
Yep, it’s still possible but different game and techniques. I like both and enjoy the long ones and short ones but preferably on trails that suit each. Jump trails on shorter bikes with smaller wheels and natural DH tracks longer and bigger wheels.

in this pic. I’m on a Large in front and Rudi is on a Medium in the back. Normal manual techniques weren’t working for either of us on the Large and both of us could do whatever on the M. Long shit is stable and that is that.

9808A197-EB95-46D6-8244-1CE1A38B4B80.jpeg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.27.51 AM.png

Since we are talking "motorbikes" this kid on his 80 about 6-7 years ago on an uphill and roughly 100' table just buried in 5th would be my guess.....

Also, get a 525mm bike BUCK if you really wanna sit back and chill......

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
in this pic. I’m on a Large in front and Rudi is on a Medium in the back. Normal manual techniques weren’t working for either of us on the Large and both of us could do whatever on the M. Long shit is stable and that is that.
Think we might be a similar height (5'11") but I've pretty much always ridden Ms but that's exactly why I'm riding a small Eeb. It's still longer reach than a M from 5 years back though and because of the weight placement a shit load more stable anyway.
I've definitely become more comfortable jumping onto on a modern L 29er now though. I am getting old AF tho :lazy2:

When you first mentioned looking under the bars in a manny I actually thought you meant low front wheel arse really low and far back like a super stretched out brakeless BMX manny but with the higher bars of a FS mtb. on BMX I sometimes feel like my grips are just below eyeline height with the front wheel really low

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I'm 6'1, fairly average proportions for my height and loving my 470mm reach Titan (size L). The 450mm stays keep the wheelbase pretty lengthy, stack is tall but with minimal spacers feels really comfortable and upright. My buddy's Commencal Meta AM from a couple of years ago had much shorter stack and only slightly shorter reach but felt like a clown bike to me, way too small. I think I had under-appreciated what higher vs. lower stack actually feels like after having a few bikes with fairly stubby headtubes.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think something that's often not recognized is how far out of published specs bikes can be. Check out the PB review of the Commie Supreme mullet - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-commencal-supreme-dh-29-27-2021.html, reach is off by 10mm. I've measured bikes with chainstay lengths pretty far off, same with head angles. BB heights are often off - although that's expected. The point is, it makes deductions/conversations based on published specs unreliable.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think something that's often not recognized is how far out of published specs bikes can be. Check out the PB review of the Commie Supreme mullet - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-commencal-supreme-dh-29-27-2021.html, reach is off by 10mm. I've measured bikes with chainstay lengths pretty far off, same with head angles. BB heights are often off - although that's expected. The point is, it makes deductions/conversations based on published specs unreliable.
Good thing those specs aren't written down on the exploded parts diagrams or people would be having a shitfit.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
615D0026-2002-4C29-B9E9-7CA82C458CAA.png

Any thoughts on what this might be? Seat tube looks like a Forbidden, but I would be surprised to see them move away from the high pivot layout so soon.

Cable ports look like Specialized, but it seems too soon for a new Enduro.
615D0026-2002-4C29-B9E9-7CA82C458CAA.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
That looks like a dual link, not a HPP or Specialized's 63737337 links. The rear triangle looks like one piece and the pivot up at its front looks like it's connected to a link, not easily visible because it's the same color as the frame.

Might it be the first crabon Banshee?

EDIT: The modular dropouts look also Banshee.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That looks like a dual link, not a HPP or Specialized's 63737337 links. The rear triangle looks like one piece and the pivot up at its front looks like it's connected to a link, not easily visible because it's the same color as the frame.

Might it be the first crabon Banshee?

EDIT: The modular dropouts look also Banshee.
You may right abt a plastic Banshee, although my first thought was Mehcialized with all the Swedish gold bouncy parts.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
But Banshee only just changed to their verticle shock layout on their recent refresh.

Definitely a hint of Forbidden about that seat tube as you said.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Honest question, do people ride in inclement conditions less these days? Whatever bike that is looks like a total maintenance nightmare and probably has some shock compatibility challenges as well. Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but then again I'm a luddite and prefer alloy frames and external cable routing.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Honest question, do people ride in inclement conditions less these days? Whatever bike that is looks like a total maintenance nightmare and probably has some shock compatibility challenges as well. Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but then again I'm a luddite and prefer alloy frames and external cable routing.
Propain reacted to the criticism with moving the shock in front of the seat tube. I think what the old Intense, SC or currently GG are doing is ideal regarding not getting your shock covered in shit, but where do I store my toobs, water bottles, tools, the kitchen sink on the frame to look full enduro?? :think: