Quantcast

Random new bike thread

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
buddy has and loves the 153...he goes hard on bikes.
I’m having the opposite experience. First bike I’ve had in years that I just can’t jive with. I don’t know if it’s the short chainstays paired with the long front end or what. I just can’t seem to get in sync with it. I probably should’ve gone with the large. I’m 6’2” and went with the XL which has a 515 reach and 425 chainstays. On sustained DH runs, it’s a pretty fun bike, but for most of the riding I do here in Mass, tight, technical quick up and downs, I’m not digging it at all.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I’m having the opposite experience. First bike I’ve had in years that I just can’t jive with. I don’t know if it’s the short chainstays paired with the long front end or what. I just can’t seem to get in sync with it. I probably should’ve gone with the large. I’m 6’2” and went with the XL which has a 515 reach and 425 chainstays. On sustained DH runs, it’s a pretty fun bike, but for most of the riding I do here in Mass, tight, technical quick up and downs, I’m not digging it at all.
I'm short so 425mm is great on an XL I can see wanting longer stays.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
A little birdie just told me that Rocky is going to do a mid-season release of a 130/130 (or 140 fork), so I might just wait for that if it definitely can accept a piggyback shock (long enough e-e). Should fit my needs perfectly to round out the quiver.
i think this will be the type of ‘downcountry’ bike that JM would like.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So, shop I am affiliated with is likely picking up Kona. Looking for a smashier replacement for the SB 100, any monkeys actually own/know the new Process 134?
pare those frames decently light, or way overbuilt?
it ticks all of the boxes.
still going Rocky for the 160/170 rowdy bike.
As @jackalope mentioned, I love mine. I built it up from a frame but unfortunately didn't get a frame only weight. I can say that Kona traditionally leans towards the overbuilt end of the spectrum but they took a ton of weight out of the 134 compared to the 153. Everything is slimmed down (though still super stiff as Kona does) and the carbon chainstay helps too. My complete with nice parts (metal cranks and wheels, only other carbon is a OneUp bar) but nothing crazy exotic weighs under 29lbs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Norco doing... something high pivot-y.

1600809016252.png

Not a new bike, but the green they're doing on the Optic for 2021 looks insanely good:

1600809087126.png

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Are we talking regular tall human here or @gemini2k territory? The Giga will go up to XXL according to the press material posted above...
I'm talking about the Dissent. The Giga is interesting, but I've no interest in carbon and Nukeproof is transitioning away from being a value brand.

I'm just getting to the point where I kind of just wished my long shocked Mega 290 was just a damn near pedalable DH bike. I could always risk a dual crown on it, and I could probably get ~190mm with a longer shock and mullet setup. The Dissent actually looks like it could make an interesting huge travel bike as it doesn't have a silly seat tube angle.... but it seems to be a hair short from what I'd prefer

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm talking about the Dissent. The Giga is interesting, but I've no interest in carbon and Nukeproof is transitioning away from being a value brand.

I'm just getting to the point where I kind of just wished my long shocked Mega 290 was just a damn near pedalable DH bike. I could always risk a dual crown on it, and I could probably get ~190mm with a longer shock and mullet setup. The Dissent actually looks like it could make an interesting huge travel bike as it doesn't have a silly seat tube angle.... but it seems to be a hair short from what I'd prefer
Canfield One? Pretty cheap all things considered. Stack is pretty tall for a bike designed to be dual crown compatible, but may not be an issue for you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I had wondered previously why there hadn't been more on the "Orion" linkage after their first bike launched last year. But this new one confuses me with chainstay length, I thought bikes were supposed to have something slightly longer to balance out the modern long front centre measurements, giving more stability at speed. 425mm seems very short.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

I had wondered previously why there hadn't been more on the "Orion" linkage after their first bike launched last year. But this new one confuses me with chainstay length, I thought bikes were supposed to have something slightly longer to balance out the modern long front centre measurements, giving more stability at speed. 425mm seems very short.
If you're a small company doing full carbon bikes, trying to do chainstay-length-by-size is going to be a massive investment in tooling and increase in cost for a new frame. Instead of 5 front end moulds and one rear end, you all of a sudden need 5 front and 5 rear, so don't be surprised if some companies don't offer it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you're a small company doing full carbon bikes, trying to do chainstay-length-by-size is going to be a massive investment in tooling and increase in cost for a new frame. Instead of 5 front end moulds and one rear end, you all of a sudden need 5 front and 5 rear, so don't be surprised if some companies don't offer it.
yup. this is one reason why GG, among others, is still doing alloy rear triangles

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

In a size medium this is actually ideal for me. I have 414mm and its just a tad to short. I honestly would be all over this 140/160mm is what I ride now, but the regressive end leverage ratio is my stopping point. Id want to coil it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
or, you just tweak the BB to pivot relationship (like norco & (i believe) forbidden) to achieve different rear center distances with the same swingarm. no excuse, rather than laziness really.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
or, you just tweak the BB to pivot relationship (like norco & (i believe) forbidden) to achieve different rear center distances with the same swingarm. no excuse, rather than laziness really.
Doing it with a monocoque rear triangle such as the ones used in most dual link designs is complicated. You might use interchangeable dropuots to achieve it, but it'd complicate the design.

i'm no enginerd, but i've heard some of you enginerds talk about how a mm or 2 drastically changes ride characteristics. wouldn't that just make each size bike be a different monster in suspension handling?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i'm no enginerd, but i've heard some of you enginerds talk about how a mm or 2 drastically changes ride characteristics. wouldn't that just make each size bike be a different monster in suspension handling?
Not if you do it right. Moving an individual pivot a few mm (especially on dual short link bikes) can do some weird stuff, but imagine instead moving all of the pivot locations and shock mount points the same amount. Let's say the size medium bike is the "default" and the small moves everything forward 5mm, and the large goes back 5. The suspension kinematics are going to be the same in terms of leverage curve and whatnot, because the relationship between all the moving bits hasn't changed at all.

You are going to change antisquat and antirise curves a little bit from what you'd get by keeping the chainstays the same length across the size range... but since those depend on COG and contact patch locations, they're not going to be exactly the same across a size range of bikes with identical suspension pivot locations either.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, even a simple swappable / flippable dropout insert would go a long ways to achieving a one swingarm for all sizes fit. some adjustability should be the de facto standard, really.