Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Windrock I assume? Vital tech bits pics showed the Trek tent all quarantined off -- and it ain't because of covid

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't think a pivot placement for a single pivot frame could be patented. There's no way to protect/trademark a mathematical formula showing you've found the perfect/magical/unicorn jizzed location with relation to any other frame dimensions.
If Knolly can patent seat tubes in front of the BB, then anything is possible.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
How did you choose that stem?
Wanted something made with an approach of longevity (rather than race or flavor of the moment), understated, 2024 and fatigue life sounds nice, north american manufacturing is a bonus. Have heard good things. Somewhat impulsive, but so be it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wanted something made with an approach of longevity (rather than race or flavor of the moment), understated, 2024 and fatigue life sounds nice, north american manufacturing is a bonus. Have heard good things. Somewhat impulsive, but so be it.
Paul's a great guy, one of the OG's still doing things right, and he's got a good group of people working with him. Props to you for supporting them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've had more slide out wrecks at N* than Mammoth, and get about the same number of days in at each.
i remember the moon dust was deeper at mammoth. i should add the disclaimer that i haven't ridden either in over 10 years, not that i can imagine the conditions at either having gotten any better.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
[sarcasm implied]gotta be fake. There's no way SRAM includes a multitool in their box. Most of my shit hardly came with instructions, just crude drawings and "go to the internet and download stuff" links.[/sarcasm implied]
Are we sure they're not supplying the multitool because they chose to use entirely proprietary fasteners? 7 point off center torx-hex?

Also, any guesses on compatibility between GX and XXXXX01 AXS? Probably can't use the cheap shifter with the fancy derailleur right?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are we sure they're not supplying the multitool because they chose to use entirely proprietary fasteners? 7 point off center torx-hex?

Also, any guesses on compatibility between GX and XXXXX01 AXS? Probably can't use the cheap shifter with the fancy derailleur right?
dub wrench. 4.72 mm size. and another one that's shaped like Gary Busey's face.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Out on a ride today, I took a photo of my stem to show you folks how well it’s still running many years on. Got home and looked at the photo and I can’t believe my eyes:

View attachment 157637

Dang. It’s only on one side. Guess it’s time for a new stem!

thanks for the heads up @toodles
Speaking with my brother today, I remembered I put one on the bike I built for him about 8 years ago! Shared the story and asked him to check/keep an eye out! His has seen less strenuous use though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i remember the moon dust was deeper at mammoth. i should add the disclaimer that i haven't ridden either in over 10 years, not that i can imagine the conditions at either having gotten any better.
Northstar is worse for dust by a mile. Mammoth is just loose sandy crap that's also dusty but not the fine volcanic baby powder that hangs in the air until November. Which is ironic because mammoth is just big pile of literal volcano.

If you rode northstar and the dust was better than mammoth, don't ever come back. You caught it real good and it is forever ruined.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Northstar is worse for dust by a mile. Mammoth is just loose sandy crap that's also dusty but not the fine volcanic baby powder that hangs in the air until November. Which is ironic because mammoth is just big pile of literal volcano.

If you rode northstar and the dust was better than mammoth, don't ever come back. You caught it real good and it is forever ruined.
The summer name is Duststar. That should tell you something.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Tell me they are all Romanish....
Sorry, I just thought of at least 2 that are Swiss. Patrick Luthi is an engineer at Scott and does pretty good at some EWS races on the weekend.

No Romansch engineers here but a quite a few English and French. It´s a very international company and most meetings are in English. Upper management is all in Swiss German. It’s kinda fun. Can you imagine working in the US doing challenging stuff in multiple languages?