Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At work I drive a ghetto van with over 1 million kilometers on it, everyone calls it Big Bertha.

It must be that time of the month, it barfed everywhere today.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Looks cool, but those welds need a little more work (not that I could do better, but still).
How so?

Other than some very, very minor aesthetic deviations mainly at the start stop, you have absolutely no way to criticize a weld without NDT such as mag par or LPI, or destructive testing to determine the stuff that actually makes or breaks a weld. You know: porosity, inclusions, penetration, etc. As someone who actually inspected welds in the aerospace world, I'd pass these in a heartbeat with regards to visual inspection, and leave the actual criticism to the NDT that follows.

This is Jessie James's welding, BTW. And I think it looks quite good. Not perfect, but better than most welders out there.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looks cool, but those welds need a little more work (not that I could do better, but still).
Uh, more work how? The whole thing looks pretty legit to me. No craters, consistent beads, doesn't looks like any undercut and the toes are all wetted in. The gusset is probably overkill on whatever that is anyway and probably more for looks than anything else.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Uh, more work how? The whole thing looks pretty legit to me. No craters, consistent beads, doesn't looks like any undercut and the toes are all wetted in. The gusset is probably overkill on whatever that is anyway and probably more for looks than anything else.

It's one of JJ's frames.

Also, I :rofl: at that picture. Best caption.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Quite nice. But thicker tubing + larger diameter = easier welds. Not saying that isn't a grade -A- aesthetic right there.
1" DOM on the bridge.

Here is a frame brace for the front crossmember. I love this pic.

<edit> He just got a water jet, CNC tube bender and CNC press brake so he will be spending more time under the helmet and less time prepping parts. He was using a CNC plasma and bending everything by hand. Should make quick work.

Last edited: