Quantcast

Ridemonkey Bike #1

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If for some reason you would need a shorter stem, I have an unused Azonic Shorty laying around some where.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stevew said:
If for some reason you would need a shorter stem, I have an unused Azonic Shorty laying around some where.
That's prolly a great idea. The one I have is 120, and prolly too big.

PM sent.

Thanks Steve!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Here's where we stand:

Loco: 13" frame? On it's way

Loco/Wumpus: Judy Fork? On it's way

Splat: Tires?

MMcG: Pedals?

Amateur: Cassette?

ummbikes: 9 speed cassette?

Sir Knight: Helmet? (Recieved)

Vainglory: Cannondale Disc Rim Set?

Kidwoo: Disc brakes (Recieved)

Firetoole: Seat post: (Recieved)

MunkeeHucker: Ouri grips (Recieved)

Steve: Race Face 9 speed crankset (Recieved)

Pony Soldier: XT rear, Deore shifters (Recieved)

Stinkyboy: Truvativ bar, Cane Creek headset (Recieved)

Also, we need a square BB, chain, Slime tubes (this is Arizona) front derailler

Thanks again for everyone's help on this project, and as soon as the frame arrives, I'll take and post some photos.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
the Inbred said:
so who's getting the bike?
My nephew... Thanks!

Just kidding. I'm waiting to hear back from Big Brothers/Big Sisters who apparently has a list of children that fit the bill. I haven't seen the list yet, but I guess I'll throw a dart at it to choose... Hopefully it'll be together by Christmas, as I will deliver the bike and take some pix. I can't think of a better way to spend my Christmas.

:dancing:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
stinkyboy said:
Also, we need a square BB, chain, Slime tubes (this is Arizona) front derailler

I might be able to help you out. I think I have a Square taper BB in my garage, and a front derailluer too. I probably have a chain too. I might (a big might) have slime or Airlock tubes

If you need them I think I have some Hutchinson Python tires and/or panaracer's. I'll scope it out tonight and post back to the thread.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor said:
I might be able to help you out. I think I have a Square taper BB in my garage, and a front derailluer too. I probably have a chain too. I might (a big might) have slime or Airlock tubes

If you need them I think I have some Hutchinson Python tires and/or panaracer's. I'll scope it out tonight and post back to the thread.
Damn, 'bout time a local showed up.

:rolleyes:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
stinkyboy said:
Damn, 'bout time a local showed up.

Sorry, I saw this the first day and wanted to contribute, but didn't want to reply without looking in the garage. I've been so busy I have trouble catching my breath. Painting, SBI, all that crap. I forgot about it.

I just remembered I have a 9 speed deore cassette too. I'll post an inventory of what I have tonight. I work down town so it shouldn't be hard to arrange a parts drop.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor said:
I just remembered I have a 9 speed deore cassette too. I'll post an inventory of what I have tonight. I work down town so it shouldn't be hard to arrange a parts drop.
!Mucho gracias!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
We may have a winner!

Hello there my name is ******, i found a posting you had about building a bike for a needy child. i have the perfect child for you. he is my best friends son. His name is shawn he is 9 years old, he has never had a bike and does not quite know how to ride one as of yet but that is not the problem. His mother has fallen on some pretty bad times, she has a 9 month old and a new baby on the way as well so this christmas is going to be pretty tight. If you could find it in your heart to help this little boy have a better christmas i would appriciate it soo much. That is all that is on his christmas list this year and i really hate to dissapoint him. please feel free to call me

Sincerely

I'm tearing up here monkeys...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
stinkyboy said:
We may have a winner!

Hello there my name is ******, i found a posting you had about building a bike for a needy child. i have the perfect child for you. he is my best friends son. His name is shawn he is 9 years old, he has never had a bike and does not quite know how to ride one as of yet but that is not the problem. His mother has fallen on some pretty bad times, she has a 9 month old and a new baby on the way as well so this christmas is going to be pretty tight. If you could find it in your heart to help this little boy have a better christmas i would appriciate it soo much. That is all that is on his christmas list this year and i really hate to dissapoint him. please feel free to call me

Sincerely

I'm tearing up here monkeys...
If it's ligitimate, then yeah, I'm for it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Here is what I have to offer, you're welcome to any of it you can use.
Unless otherwise stated used but in reasonably good condition:

SRAM 971 chain (NEW)
11x34 9 speed LX(I think) cassette, used but good.
2 Used slime(or airlock) tubes, not sure how good they are
2 panaracer fire XC tires (one lightly used)
2 Hutch. Python air lites (NEW)(if the kid wants to fall down a lot)
2 WTB laser 2.24 tires (one used)
73x113 square taper BB (off brand)
Suntour square taper cranks
Specialized XC riser bar
Azonic ORC stem (NEW)
9 speed LX shifters (well used, but quite functional)
XTR long cage derailluer (abused but working, needs new cogs)
Alivio front der (looks like a 34.9 but not sure)
Used raceface X type BB (took of the switchblade, had the cranks too tight, might be O.K., I never bothered to put it back on)
set of lightly used bear traps
one almost new shimano pedals (525? have the funky plastic platform on one side, used three times on road)
Some OEM skewers (two or three)
SDG seat (ouch!)

I might have, but haven't located(yet):
a few steel brake/der cables, no housing.
set of grips (Specialized BG?)
Specialized "strongarm" cranks 175mm, splined for ES 51/70/71 BB

I think I also have an old lead acid Catseye light (dual 5 W), or a specialized fireball light, I'll have to chatrge them us to make sure they are still good.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor said:
Here is what I have to offer, you're welcome to any of it you can use.
Unless otherwise stated used but in reasonably good condition:

SRAM 971 chain (NEW)
11x34 9 speed LX(I think) cassette, used but good.
2 Used slime(or airlock) tubes, not sure how good they are
2 panaracer fire XC tires (one lightly used)
2 Hutch. Python air lites (NEW)(if the kid wants to fall down a lot)
2 WTB laser 2.24 tires (one used)
73x113 square taper BB (off brand)
Suntour square taper cranks
Specialized XC riser bar
Azonic ORC stem (NEW)
9 speed LX shifters (well used, but quite functional)
XTR long cage derailluer (abused but working, needs new cogs)
Alivio front der (looks like a 34.9 but not sure)
Used raceface X type BB (took of the switchblade, had the cranks too tight, might be O.K., I never bothered to put it back on)
set of lightly used bear traps
one almost new shimano pedals (525? have the funky plastic platform on one side, used three times on road)
Some OEM skewers (two or three)
SDG seat (ouch!)

I might have, but haven't located(yet):
a few steel brake/der cables, no housing.
set of grips (Specialized BG?)
Specialized "strongarm" cranks 175mm, splined for ES 51/70/71 BB

I think I also have an old lead acid Catseye light (dual 5 W), or a specialized fireball light, I'll have to chatrge them us to make sure they are still good.

Great! PM sent

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
sirknight6 said:
If it's ligitimate, then yeah, I'm for it.
I questioned it too, and still kinda do after talking with the woman. I asked her where she got my email, and she said she thought it was on Craigslist. No, it wasn't. She seemed sincere, but I told her the bike is prolly too big, so I told her I'd look for a BMX bike for him.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Alternate stem will be in the mail tomorrow. It should be there by Friday.

J

JRB

Frame is on it's way. I will PM the tracking in a bit.

2 forks in it and 2 python air lites also

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
Frame is on it's way. I will PM the tracking in a bit.

2 forks in it and 2 python air lites also
Thanks Loco!

I now have some extra grips, etc., but I am willing to build free bikes for kids all year long, so these will parts will not go unused.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

SB

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
sirknight6 said:
This thread has now become worthless without pics...:p

:D
As soon as I clean the sticker residue off of the helmet I recieved, I will take a pic. ;)

I'll take pix tonight of what I have so far.

:redX:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
As promised, here is a shot of the donated parts recieved to date from some very generous Monkeys! Loco has a frame and fork on the way, I will throw in some Mavic 321's, and Reactor will step up with pretty much the rest of the build.

I've got more emails into BB/BS about finding us a youngster, and I'm sure next week something will happen.

Thanks monkeys!

J

JRB

Make sure you are at work on Tuesday -

On Time
Scheduled Delivery: Dec 20, 2005

Shipped to: PHOENIX, AZ, US
Shipped or Billed on: Dec 15, 2005

Tracking Number: 1Z 753 294 03 4123 867 2
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 23.40 Lbs
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of Dec 20, 2005.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
Make sure you are at work on Tuesday
When did I become your biatch?

BIKE CHILD UPDATE:

Brian, If you still have the bike we do have someone who would be very excited to get a new bike! Its something on his wish list.

Lynn, will be contacting you regarding the bike. If you still have it, she'd be happy to get this from you.

Where are you located?

Very much appreciated!

Casie
www.givekidsachance.net

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
LordOpie said:
great idea!

And while a monkey who's deserving would be a great recipient, what about selling said bike on ebay and donating the proceeds to a charity that helps buy helmets for kids or something?
I suggest donating the bike or the proceeds to Trips for Kids

Trips for Kids National provides the materials, moral support and inspiration that an individual or group needs to help disadvantaged kids discover the joy of mountain biking. Operating in the United States and Canada, we open the world of cycling to at risk youth through mountain bike rides and Earn-A-Bike programs.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
O.K. The Catseye and fireballs both seem to check out, I couldn't find the Azonic orc Stem(I'm still looking), but found an Easton EA 70 instead. I'll drop my parts off this weekend, I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor said:
O.K. The Catseye and fireballs both seem to check out, I couldn't find the Azonic orc Stem(I'm still looking), but found an Easton EA 70 instead. I'll drop my parts off this weekend, I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!!
Is sunday gonna work? It might be hard carrying a bunch of parts while riding South Mountain. If you have any time tomorrow, I can meet ya wherever. Gimme a shout.

Is there any urban action in Chandler?

:thumb:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Thanks Reactor for all of the parts (one of those Panaracers has a ripped knob, but Loco said he's shipped some)

Also thanks to Ghostrider who sent some spankin new pedals!

:thumb: :dancing:

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
stinkyboy said:
Thanks Reactor for all of the parts (one of those Panaracers has a ripped knob, but Loco said he's shipped some)

Also thanks to Ghostrider who sent some spankin new pedals!

:thumb: :dancing:
so where does that put us?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
firetoole said:
so where does that put us?
I'm pretty sure we have everything. The frame is set to arrive today, and I have a box of parts and rotored wheels heading for the LBS after work.

One of the foundations bailed on me, and I'm still waiting for my contact at BB/BS to friggin call me back. I will call a pastor friend of mine tonight and I'm sure he can help get the bike into the right hands.

Also, since one of the kids involved was only 9, and too small for the 26" wheeled bike, Slippery Pig Bike Shop said they would give me a break on a BMX bike for him. I'll try to arrange it to deliver the bikes on Christmas, and take pictures.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
stinkyboy said:
I'm pretty sure we have everything. The frame is set to arrive today, and I have a box of parts and rotored wheels heading for the LBS after work.

One of the foundations bailed on me, and I'm still waiting for my contact at BB/BS to friggin call me back. I will call a pastor friend of mine tonight and I'm sure he can help get the bike into the right hands.

Also, since one of the kids involved was only 9, and too small for the 26" wheeled bike, Slippery Pig Bike Shop said they would give me a break on a BMX bike for him. I'll try to arrange it to deliver the bikes on Christmas, and take pictures.

I'll pitch in for part of the BMX bike, if you're taking donations.