Quantcast

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
What a hijack.
The OP is looking for a midsize. A market segment that the big 3 haven't taken seriously is 10yrs. They know that Toyota et al have it locked down.
Of all the crap that Toyota has gotten in the last year, the Tacoma has never been mentioned.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Agreed^ For big trucks, American is the way to go. for mid-size, tacoma by a mile..The ranger needs new life (a crew cab maybe), and the colorado does not have a good rep.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
What a hijack.
The OP is looking for a midsize. A market segment that the big 3 haven't taken seriously is 10yrs. They know that Toyota et al have it locked down.
Of all the crap that Toyota has gotten in the last year, the Tacoma has never been mentioned.
No, they've just been swapping WHOLE frames out of them for the last 3 years because of rot.
For the 2 years before that they were doing turnins for up to $12,000 per truck turned in. (if you bought another taco to replace it of course) because of frame rot.
Do some research.

When you buy foreign crap your money goes overseas. Why would anyone EVER want to help support another countries' army anyways???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ive been reading this thread trying to figure what the hell a "Taco" is. Is it really that hard to just go ahead and spell the whole word? Is leaving out those last two letters saving you time?
:thumb: I'm with ya on this one. I don't think Quo Fan should get another one just for the mere fact that people refer to it as a "Taco."

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
No, they've just been swapping WHOLE frames out of them for the last 3 years because of rot.
For the 2 years before that they were doing turnins for up to $12,000 per truck turned in. (if you bought another taco to replace it of course) because of frame rot.
Do some research.

When you buy foreign crap your money goes overseas. Why would anyone EVER want to help support another countries' army anyways???
Get you numbers right. The frame rust issues where on the previous generation. While that did suck, Toyota made it right by buying up all the trucks and paying people 50% over bluebook. Not a bad deal for a 10yo truck.
I've had mine for 3 yrs and have had zero issues.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Why would anyone EVER want to help support another countries' army anyways???
For the same reason auto company's put plants in other countries, money.
Like someone stated earlier the big 3 suck when it comes to the mid size market. No point in buying American if you sink money into repairs all the time. Dude wants a mid size and the Tacoma is the best out there. You could also buy a ranger and drop a 7.3 powerstroke in it and then have power and mileage in a nice little package.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Aside from crazy Redneck American Die hards, the tundra did pretty well in the US Truck market (1500 series) Introduced in 2007, killed the market until America was able to catch up(review wise) It still happens to be as reliable as the rest of the Toyota fleet. JD power ranks it the most reliable truck for the 5th year in a row. Dontcha yall wana ford naw?

It gets better, its built in texas!

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
I read through most of the b.s. and I'm still going to chime in... I've owned a GMC Canyon since it dropped in '04 and it has been amazing. Couple new parts, because I drive **** into the ground, but nothing unreasonable. It now has 153,000 miles and is still running like a champ. There's a few creaks in the front suspension, but that's because it's seen more airtime than Jordan's shoes.

For comparision, I've driven a few Tacoma's... and although they are reliable, they don't get amazing gas mileage on all models like everyone claims and they feel less than stellar in terms of sturdiness. Are you kidding me with those doors? I could fold one of those in half like a cookie sheet... Not what I want protecting me on a good rally to the local shuttle trail.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun truck to drive, but my Canyon pulls harder and feels more stout than any Tacoma I've driven.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I guess I better show why I'm seriously considering another Tacoma. The responding officer was amazed I wasn't injured badly. I walked away from this with minor bumps, and a slightly stiff neck.

1998 Toyota Tacoma, 198k miles, standard cab, base model, standard bed.

I'm standing right about where I was when he decided to make his left turn.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have a Ford Ranger and it's a good vehicle. Mine's a 1994 and it runs great!

Can't say a bad thing about Tacomas except the new 4x4s with full beds that I've seen are BIG trucks... look as big as an F150.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
The Tacoma is a good looking truck.

Right now's a good time to get one... Despite Toyota's recent bad press, the current model has been in production for what? 5 years? Bugs, (If any?) have been pretty much worked out at the end of a 5 year model run.... and you can push hard on 2010 pricing right now.... but, they can be like a needle in a haystack if you're trying to find a certain model/features right now at this time of year....

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Haha worthless to try and argue foreign vs domestic with a meathead from Fenton, MI!

My '07 Tundra has more American hands building it than the American trucks do nowadays. It is also rated as more reliable, and as far as I can tell, is far easier to work on and maintain.

Show me a 1500 series V8 gasser with more power and torque, stronger brakes, stiffer frame, wider ring gear, more durable tranny, better lighting and payload/towing capacity while still maintaining a reasonable street ride AND the ability to get 19-20mpg on the freeway. Yeah, didn't think so.

My previous '06 Tundra (1st gen) also saved my life when it flipped twice and landed on the roof going freeway speeds. I remain quite confident that other vehicles in the same class would have caved in the cab and both my girlfriend and I would be dead - I know this because I have seen the integrity of those other vehicles fail under far less extreme circumstances.

I've looked at the others and they just do not compare until you make the jump to a diesel.

When we can make a better vehicle here, I'll be happy to buy one, even if it's more expensive. Cheaper crap is still crap though.

Edit: Just for the hell of it - picture of my lovely '06, or at least what was left of it.

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Show me a 1500 series V8 gasser with more power and torque, stronger brakes, stiffer frame, wider ring gear, more durable tranny, better lighting and payload/towing capacity while still maintaining a reasonable street ride AND the ability to get 19-20mpg on the freeway. Yeah, didn't think so.
better not watch these videos then....

you can whine all you want about it being ford biased tests, but lets face it the tundra straight sucked. the tundra is just a womans truck cross dressed in a man's world. the only way toyota could make a "killer half ton" truck is by putting mostly 3/4 ton parts in it.

maybe the reason the big three have neglected the mini truck market is because they are too busy killing it in the real truck market? you know, selling trucks to people who use them for more than just putting a couple pretty mountain bikes or a cute little kayak in the back...

its always funny how the best truck debate always goes back to yotas getting good gas mileage. at least they do something well. o yea, they crash well too apparently.

can anyone show me a 40 or 50 year old toyota pickup still getting used and abused? wait a minute, they didn't even know what a pickup was in japan 50 years ago...

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
can anyone show me a 40 or 50 year old toyota pickup still getting used and abused? wait a minute, they didn't even know what a pickup was in japan 50 years ago...
Well perhaps not 40-50 years but there are plenty of Toyotas getting absolutely thrashed in all sorts of strange parts of the world. Any Warlord worth his salt doesn't mount his .50 cal on anything but a Hilux.

Toyota make great 4WD's they just don't necessarily sell them in North America for some reason.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Wow. :rolleyes:

You had a semi-but-not-really-decent argument going until this.

Americuhn pride bitchez!! :rofl:
Remember pearl harbor by any chance?
Oh, let me guess, that could Never happen again, they love us now...

The next time a friend or family member tells you that they got laid off, just look them in the eye & say "my job is secure, so yours don't matter".

That's pretty much what all of you Pro Jap morons are doing with these attitudes..

It's not a global market, it's us against them & that's exactly how the Japanese view the situation.

Look outside of your little bubble at whats going on in your own country, for fvcksakes...

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Stop with all the foreign/domestic bashing. Also, stop comparing full size to mid size. I'm looking for a MID-SIZED pick up truck. It really doesn't matter to me if the truck was built in Fenton MI, or Tokyo JP. I want a quality truck that is going to last me for at least 10-15 years.

So far, I've driven a '08 Chevy Colorado (nice truck, auto, standard cab, 6' bed, rode like a truck (duh)), '10 Toyota Tacoma (4 cyl, 5 spd, access cab, 6' bed, decent acceleration, nice turning radius), '11 Toyota Tacoma (V6, auto, access cab, 6' bed, nice acceleration/turn radius - out of my price range).

Today, I'm going to look at Nissan Frontiers. I know to get 4X4, I have to get the V6, because Nissan believes that a 4 cyl can't push a 4X4.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn

The next time a friend or family member tells you that they got laid off, just look them in the eye & say "my job is secure, so yours don't matter".

That's pretty much what all of you Pro Jap morons are doing with these attitudes..

It's not a global market, it's us against them & that's exactly how the Japanese view the situation.

Look outside of your little bubble at whats going on in your own country, for fvcksakes...
Just looked at how many Toyota plants are in the US, 14. Ford plants in North America( including Mex and Can), 22. It is a global market. While I agree with you about supporting American business think about this, who do you think sells these vehicle at the dealerships. Owns the dealerships, works on the cars when they break down. I don't see 4 and half ft Japanese dudes running around the floors.
I bet you have a pair of Nike's or Adidas. Where do you think those are made? Do think a friend or family member are stitching those up in Michigan?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
why are you even arguing with him his a racist idiot. People who get all pro-american 99% of the time dont have the slightest clue what they're talking about and are usually 150% hypocritical idiots given the place of origin of most goods.

Oh, and as for the argument of supporting japan's military, I wonder who sells them most of their arms? hmmmm.

Shut up you ****ing clown.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Haha worthless to try and argue foreign vs domestic with a meathead from Fenton, MI!

My '07 Tundra has more American hands building it than the American trucks do nowadays. It is also rated as more reliable, and as far as I can tell, is far easier to work on and maintain.

My previous '06 Tundra (1st gen) also saved my life when it flipped twice and landed on the roof going freeway speeds. I remain quite confident that other vehicles in the same class would have caved in the cab and both my girlfriend and I would be dead - I know this because I have seen the integrity of those other vehicles fail under far less extreme circumstances.

I've looked at the others and they just do not compare until you make the jump to a diesel.

When we can make a better vehicle here, I'll be happy to buy one, even if it's more expensive. Cheaper crap is still crap though.

Edit: Just for the hell of it - picture of my lovely '06, or at least what was left of it.

nah, I am quite open to the discussion, I already said the toyota owns the midsized truck market. The tundra is crap, those ford video's show it, and so have most other tests. The F150 and Silverado are the top two trucks in the half ton market, period.

Look at the JD Power initial quality ratings I posted, there is a good split of domestic and foreign cars, there are just some markets that certain manufacturers have been better at.

You can not argue the amount of jobs ON US SOIL that the domestics provide versus the foreign automakers, period. It's fact, fact can not be argued. But people still don't seem to be able to figure out numbers.

GM has 68,000+ employees on US SOIL.
Toyota has 28,000
These are your engineers, designers, marketing, sales, skilled trades, etc.

GM has 5800+ dealers that employ people
Toyota has 1500 Dealers employing 113,000 people.

How can you argue that supporting Toyota supports more american jobs than supporting GM?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Toyota has 28,000

How can you argue that supporting Toyota supports more american jobs than supporting GM?
How dare you try to bring facts into this. :rant:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toyota has 28,000

Source for numbers, please

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Never go Full Retard, son. Which you have done right here. That's just friendly advice.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
toyota landcruiser FJ45 you fvcking nitwit.

funny thing is...it was a toyota landcruiser that took the longest traveled route around the world....

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&story=amMade0808&subject=ami

Toyota Tacoma
Engine: US, Japan
Transmission: US, Japan
Assembled: Fremont, CA and Mexico

Toyota Tundra
Engine: US
Transmission: US
Assembled: San Antonio, TX, Princeton, IN
Over 75% domestic content

Ford F-150
Transmission: US
Assembled: Claycomo, MO, Dearborn, MI

Ford Ranger
Engine: US (I-4), Germany (V-6)
Transmission: France, Japan
Assembled: St Paul, MN

GMC Sierra
Engine: US, Canada
Transmission: US, Canada
Assembled: Fort Wayne, IN, Pontiac, MI, Flint, MI, Mexico

GMC Canyon
Transmission: Japan, Mexico
Assembled: Shreveport, LA

Nissan Frontier
Transmission: Japan
Assembled: Smyrna, TN

Nissan Titan
Transmission: Japan
Assembled: Canton, MI
It's not so simple as to what's a domestic and what isn't... and frankly, I'd rather have corporate profits going to Japan, where the CEOs are paid in the $100-500k/yr range, rather than to the $10M+ fat cats that run the American companies into the ground.