Quantcast

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Remember pearl harbor by any chance?
Oh, let me guess, that could Never happen again, they love us now...

The next time a friend or family member tells you that they got laid off, just look them in the eye & say "my job is secure, so yours don't matter".

That's pretty much what all of you Pro Jap morons are doing with these attitudes..

It's not a global market, it's us against them & that's exactly how the Japanese view the situation.

Look outside of your little bubble at whats going on in your own country, for fvcksakes...

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
My buddy has a newer Frontier with V6 and manual. It's a solid truck with great power. The bed on his 4-door is ridiculous, but x-cab looks decent. IMO Toyota is resting on their laurels and the classic "It's a Toyota" rather than keep up their quality. Newer Toyotas feel cheap. The Frontier seemed significantly better in the quality dept. It feels like the Toyota's materials will start breaking down much earlier than the Nissan's.

As for me, I drive a 91 Chevy Z71 4x4. Paid in full and super cheap and easy to maintain. I don't have a commute and drive maybe 200 miles a month.

If I weren't self-employed and drove a lot, I would choose a Titan for a medium-duty truck.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
My buddy has a newer Frontier with V6 and manual. It's a solid truck with great power. The bed on his 4-door is ridiculous, but x-cab looks decent. IMO Toyota is resting on their laurels and the classic "It's a Toyota" rather than keep up their quality. Newer Toyotas feel cheap. The Frontier seemed significantly better in the quality dept. It feels like the Toyota's materials will start breaking down much earlier than the Nissan's.

As for me, I drive a 91 Chevy Z71 4x4. Paid in full and super cheap and easy to maintain. I don't have a commute and drive maybe 200 miles a month.

If I weren't self-employed and drove a lot, I would choose a Titan for a medium-duty truck.
I do agree with you a bit on the new Tacoma's. My friend's 2009 has a LOT of plastic...my other friend's older truck just feels a lot more solid. Man, what we have put that truck through...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Show me a 1500 series V8 gasser with more power and torque, stronger brakes, stiffer frame, wider ring gear, more durable tranny, better lighting and payload/towing capacity while still maintaining a reasonable street ride AND the ability to get 19-20mpg on the freeway. Yeah, didn't think so.

more HP/TQ, stiffer frame, better tranny, more towing (less payload), better mileage...just sayin

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
toyota landcruiser FJ45 you fvcking nitwit.

funny thing is...it was a toyota landcruiser that took the longest traveled route around the world...
hmm, yea, how many of those FJ45s do you still see out on the road? how many in unrestored condition? right, they are like a needle in a haystack, and the ones that ARE unrestored are usually in rusty pieces in some guys barn cause they either stopped working years ago or it is his "wheeler project." i still see more ford couriers and chevy luvs than 70s toyota pickups on the road. shoot i even see a guy that drives an old rotary power mazda truck more often than i see old toyotas.

and i'm supposed to be impressed by a toyota driving a long distance? ever heard of the turtle expedition? lets not get started on mileage wars, i'm pretty sure all the ford crown vic taxis and police cars have logged enough miles to make it to pluto. those cars regularly go 500k+ under conditions none of you wold dream putting something you own through.

this is my favorite argument to get involved in. you people sure do love your toyotas. i had a room mate with a tundra once, he got beat in a drag race by an izuzu amigo (driven by a chick) and he once put 450lbs in the bed and it was riding on the bumpstops. man he still gets **** for that. at least the truck has kinda held its resale value

to the OP: you should probably just buy whatever you feel most comfortable in and what you can get the best deal on. and i don't think the internet can tell you either of those things. a truck is a truck is a truck. it has a bed and it should have seats and a steering wheel, and goes from A to B.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

And if these are the only things you claim the tundra wins, go watch a review of them, they are the preferred truck to everybody, except the die hards who will buy a ford no matter how much it breaks.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And if these are the only things you claim the tundra wins, go watch a review of them, they are the preferred truck to everybody, except the die hards who will buy a ford no matter how much it breaks.
so preferred that the F-series truck has been the #1 vehicle in America for 20+ years

and that first video is a advertisment (pretty biased) and the second is from 2.5 years ago (plus it said the F150 was moar better.) both the F150 and Ram have made some big improvements in power and handling

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Toyota Tacoma
Engine: US, Japan
Transmission: US, Japan
Assembled: Fremont, CA and Mexico
It's not so simple as to what's a domestic and what isn't... and frankly, I'd rather have corporate profits going to Japan, where the CEOs are paid in the $100-500k/yr range, rather than to the $10M+ fat cats that run the American companies into the ground.
This would be much more relevant if the info was up to date. The Fremont plant has since been closed. Thanks Toyota!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Every time I think of getting rid of my F250 7.3 diesel to get a smaller truck I look at fuel consumption numbers. I am always surprised how crappy the numbers are for these compact/mid-size trucks. I just looked at Nissan Frontier and the numbers look to be around 15-23mpg depending on model. Which is what I get in my 3/4 ton pickup truck with 220k miles on it. Hell my dad's Excursion with 4wheel drive gets 15-18mpg depending on how heavy my foot is.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Every time I think of getting rid of my F250 7.3 diesel to get a smaller truck I look at fuel consumption numbers. I am always surprised how crappy the numbers are for these compact/mid-size trucks. I just looked at Nissan Frontier and the numbers look to be around 15-23mpg depending on model. Which is what I get in my 3/4 ton pickup truck with 220k miles on it. Hell my dad's Excursion with 4wheel drive gets 15-18mpg depending on how heavy my foot is.
You own Fords!

You must be one of those stupid mouth breathing Amerikunz who doesn't know that foreign vehicles are always bettar and also made in the USA.

Disgusting.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Remember pearl harbor by any chance?
Oh, let me guess, that could Never happen again, they love us now...

The next time a friend or family member tells you that they got laid off, just look them in the eye & say "my job is secure, so yours don't matter".

That's pretty much what all of you Pro Jap morons are doing with these attitudes..

It's not a global market, it's us against them & that's exactly how the Japanese view the situation.

Look outside of your little bubble at whats going on in your own country, for fvcksakes...
:rofl:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so preferred that the F-series truck has been the #1 vehicle in America for 20+ years

and that first video is a advertisment (pretty biased) and the second is from 2.5 years ago (plus it said the F150 was moar better.) both the F150 and Ram have made some big improvements in power and handling
The F series will always sell more than the tundra, the original tundra doesnt compare (although im impressed with diablos 50,000 mountain miles) The new tundra has been here since 2007, so that cant even date back 20 years, Many people (myself included) will wait to see the bugs on it, i gave it three years before i got mine. I came off a GMC sierra, it wasnt bad, but like the rest of the american trucks in my family, it crapped out at 52,000-55,000. My pops got a 2008 Sierra, it has 10k on it, he is trading it in for a tundra already, Electrical problems started already. (drivers window and sometimes wont recognize the key being all the way forwards) He was a die hard GM guy until i got my truck, and realized the crap. I also feel that no matter how good a tundra gets, the die hards wont comform. Calling the F150 the best truck because they sold the most is like comparing a demo 9 to a (new)DHR.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Apparently not up a snowy hill :D
phew, its a good thing i have that Audi (that i also bought)
i guess if i wanted to build a snow rig, then i wouldnt have dropped it or put those summer only tires on there huh? cause pickups are so great in the snow to begin with

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
the dumb in this thread just cracks me up.

Toshi my numbers came from google, you should try it.

GMC and Chevy sell more 1500's than all other manufacturers for a reason. Ford comes in second overall for a reason. The tundra blows ass for a reason.

The tacoma outsells the domestics for a reason.

To whomever would rather support the Japanese CEO's over the AMerican CEO's doesnt understand economics for a reason.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The F series will always sell more than the tundra, the original tundra doesnt compare (although im impressed with diablos 50,000 mountain miles) The new tundra has been here since 2007, so that cant even date back 20 years, Many people (myself included) will wait to see the bugs on it, i gave it three years before i got mine. I came off a GMC sierra, it wasnt bad, but like the rest of the american trucks in my family, it crapped out at 52,000-55,000. My pops got a 2008 Sierra, it has 10k on it, he is trading it in for a tundra already, Electrical problems started already. (drivers window and sometimes wont recognize the key being all the way forwards) He was a die hard GM guy until i got my truck, and realized the crap. I also feel that no matter how good a tundra gets, the die hards wont comform. Calling the F150 the best truck because they sold the most is like comparing a demo 9 to a (new)DHR.
Every ford my family has ever owned has made it past 2K and my Bronco is on track with ~180K and no major problems even after spending a few summers rallying up and down a 4X4 road.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
phew, its a good thing i have that Audi (that i also bought)
i guess if i wanted to build a snow rig, then i wouldnt have dropped it or put those summer only tires on there huh? cause pickups are so great in the snow to begin with
Id take a pickup for the snow 4WD and good tires? I know that some cars are pretty good(subaru comes to mind) but in general, id take a pickup, exclusively on tire choices though, i find it hard to believe that the general AWD car can play tires with a truck. Toyota happens to do well in the snow, you watch Top gear right?

*no complaints with audi except their ridiculously hard to use interface

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Id take a pickup for the snow 4WD and good tires? I know that some cars are pretty good(subaru comes to mind) but in general, id take a pickup, exclusively on tire choices though, i find it hard to believe that the general AWD car can play tires with a truck. Toyota happens to do well in the snow, you watch Top gear right?

*no complaints with audi except their ridiculously hard to use interface
There are plenty of awd cars that handle as well or better than trucks in the snow.

THat is not a stock truck, once a truck is modified it's no longer an apples to apples comparison. Just like in mountain biking we all know tire choice and rider can make a huge difference in adverse conditions, so dont go there with cars, too many variables.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
There are plenty of awd cars that handle as well or better than trucks in the snow.

THat is not a stock truck, once a truck is modified it's no longer an apples to apples comparison. Just like in mountain biking we all know tire choice and rider can make a huge difference in adverse conditions, so dont go there with cars, too many variables.
what i was getting at, was that you could get tires like THAT for a truck, but not for a car, while an AWD car beats a 2WD truck, imo a 4WD truck beats an AWD car (but suby is close)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
what i was getting at, was that you could get tires like THAT for a truck, but not for a car, while an AWD car beats a 2WD truck, imo a 4WD truck beats an AWD car (but suby is close)
Really?

I've owned MANY 4wd trucks, I lived on the shores of lake superior where we got tons of snow every year (think almost out west snow some winters).

My last silverado handled best in the AWD setting, instead of the 4wd setting, and got better mileage to boot.

Now for all out deep snow yes a 4wd will work better, but for the average snowy road conditions that we all see, AWD typically handles better, just like an open differential truck will not fishtale nearly as easily as a locked truck will, having power too all four wheels is good, but having differentials allow those tires to all spin at slightly different speeds and maintain traction in all conditions (AWD) is better than 4WD (Ever notice how a 4WD truck will "push" through corners compared to an AWD car or when it is in 2wd?)

4wd is great and far more capable in difficult situations than AWD, but AWD handles better in 99% of the on road conditions you will ever face.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
GMC and Chevy sell more 1500's than all other manufacturers for a reason.
What reason is that, 3 months of OnStar for free.? The bulk of all work trucks I see on a regular basis is ford. I'm not arguing your stat. I'm saying that the majority who buy Chevy/GMC will never put serious hard miles on their truck and think having a truck solidifies their man-card.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
What reason is that, 3 months of OnStar for free.? The bulk of all work trucks I see on a regular basis is ford. I'm not arguing your stat. I'm saying that the majority who buy Chevy/GMC will never put serious hard miles on their truck and think having a truck solidifies their man-card.
I have owned numerous chevy/gmc trucks, and used and abused the hell out of them, I have had good luck, your mileage may very. I think the difference between the Ford and the Chevy as far as reliability is literally just in the badging and the day of the week, they are so damn close in most categories its ridiculous.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think you are wrong there pal - Toyota FJ45s are rare today because so few where exported to the states. I know for a fact that Land Cruisers stand the test of time better than most cars - the dry mountain states are littered with them - not sitting in barns but in use as daily drivers. Their short wheel base and solid frames make them highly desirable on the utilitarian 2nd hand market.

hmm, yea, how many of those FJ45s do you still see out on the road? how many in unrestored condition? right, they are like a needle in a haystack, and the ones that ARE unrestored are usually in rusty pieces.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think you are wrong there pal - Toyota FJ45s are rare today because so few where exported to the states.
yeah...and the second and third world countries they were exported to....their streets were paved with fvcking gold.

descente hasn't heard of a second or third world country..

Last edited:

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Hey Quo Fan I know this truck does not fit your 6 foot bed requirement but I have enjoyed my Ford Sport Trac for a number of years now and it has run pretty much problem free. It holds all my gear and bikes just fine and handles great when the going gets rough.

Just something to look at. Here's what it looks like compared with my coworkers Toyota Tacoma. I also think the interior of mine is more comfortable and feels of higher quality material. But I'm probably just a little biased.

The new version has a v8 option as well which is nice.

Kinda crappy cell phone pics

Good luck finding a new ride. Can't really go wrong with a Toyota I have ridden in a few Colorado's and they were great but I have heard the stories about reliability.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I havent ever had an AWD truck, but i got 2wd and 4wd, my experience is pulling a trailer (about 2000 pounds) in the snow, i snowplow with some buddies and i have loved 4wd, my mom has an audi Q7 which i believe is AWD, that is pretty good in the snow, but the T/C seems to pop up more often than in my truck in 4WD. stock Q7 stock tires-stock tundra-stock tires(offroad AT tires)
North Jersey gets about a foot at a time on a good day, usually the fluffy **** snow