Quantcast

So yeah, Whistler 2020

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
CO ski resort(s?) opened.

I realize that has little to do with Whistler.

Only A-Basin and you need a reservation, I think only 600 people per day - plus they're running out of snow rapidly.

I need to cancel Whistler flights and condo this week. United is allowing cancellation of flights to the end of May or something and the remaining balance on my condo reservation will be due next week :(

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They must be betting on the province relaxing the rules even more by then. If you look around Vancouver now, you'd think Covid was never a thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They must be betting on the province relaxing the rules even more by then. If you look around Vancouver now, you'd think Covid was never a thing.
some regions aren't impacted nearly as bad. here in pennsyltucky there are still 7 counties with fewer than 10 cases (there is one county that still only has 2). then again these counties are predominantly covered in forest.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
some regions aren't impacted nearly as bad. here in pennsyltucky there are still 7 counties with fewer than 10 cases (there is one county that still only has 2). then again these counties are predominantly covered in forest.
That is true, I was at my cabin in Potter county over the past weekend and you would never know anything is even going on. Business as usual.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The only issues may be no border crossing and/or 2 week quarantine. Makes a 10 day trip sorta tricky. Might need to hire a coyote to smuggle me and my family to the promiseland.
That's my concern as well. Still planning on an early September trip at this point, hope we can make it happen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is true, I was at my cabin in Potter county over the past weekend and you would never know anything is even going on. Business as usual.
at the beginning of May we still had counties that had no cases at all.

then again, the county i live in has more confirmed cases than some counties have people (my county has almost 6800 cases, second highest county by cases in the state). my township alone has 419 cases, which is more cases than 45 counties in PA (PA has 67 counties total.)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's my concern as well. Still planning on an early September trip at this point, hope we can make it happen.
Same. Had a family trip planned for early July. Cancelled that. Have a trip planned with the boys in Sept. Still hoping to hit that if it works out.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just cancelled my condo and flights for early July. No Whistler, Sun Peaks and Silver Star trip for us this summer :(

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Sounds like Whistler is opening up slowly...not necessarily the bike park, but the hotels and restaurants. Anyone local hear anything?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry, the "you" was for FlipFantasia. @Da Peach lives in Van as well, and Fraser, whatever his username is, is in Squamish iirc.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm not hearing anything much other than sometime around canada day, but those rumours have been around for the past month or so...I'm still not interested in standing in lift lines even if they do somehow manage to do it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sorry, the "you" was for FlipFantasia. @Da Peach lives in Van as well, and Fraser, whatever his username is, is in Squamish iirc.
I've not been to the park in about 3 years, so I haven't paid much attention.

If it were open, I'd likely avoid it anyway.

I am considering heading up with the family to doddle around the lost lake trails on bikes and support some of the local businesses though. Perhaps a long weekend or something.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The small bike park near Toronto, which opened two weeks ago, has already had the police show up to tell "them" (not sure if the park itself or the patrons) to respect physical distancing. They've also had at least two broken collarbones, a punctured lung and one guy who concussed himself pretty good.

Great start.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I'm wondering what trails Whistler will actually open this year. That ER has more traffic than I've ever seen, never been myself but have taken a few buddies and its truly a shitshow even on a week day. They have to be talking about how to mitigate risk, opening everything and just hoping for the best won't fly...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i don't spend much time in the park these days, but the thought of (potentially) non-mobbed lift lines is enticing. that said, i've never seen the local trails so busy, so even without the help of our southern friends, i'd expect things will still be swarming (esp. with some sort of social distancing protocols in place).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Watch how much I deserve naturalization: "I hope you guys have fun in the absence of our American mob scene. I understand your concerns and won't insert myself out of pure selfishness and entitlement"

See? Is that the most canadian/unamerican thing you've heard or what? Somebody marry me so I can get out of here.

Oh yeah: sorry

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Watch how much I deserve naturalization: "I hope you guys have fun in the absence of our American mob scene. I understand your concerns and won't insert myself out of pure selfishness and entitlement"

See? Is that the most canadian/unamerican thing you've heard or what? Somebody marry me so I can get out of here.

How's Canada feel about polygamy? I want in.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Throw a few moar "eh?" in there and I'm sure you'll qualify for something like the Olympics basketball team.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Big Bear/Snow Summit opened yesterday. Couple of buds rode, its a small hill and not too many trails, its good enough, will check back in on how the lift lines were shlt, or not shlt...