Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
fuel economy for the 2.0L version is nothing to write home about at 24/30, but 30 mpg is really the point of diminishing returns in the economic sense
What about the Mazda 6 based 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L 6spd auto, 23/34/27mpg - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?id=26406

The hybrid version is supposed to be the most fun to drive hybrid (beats the Camry Hybrid by 5mpg too), but I doubt its worth the price premium over the regular version...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What about the Mazda 6 based 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L 6spd auto, 23/34/27mpg - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?id=26406

The hybrid version is supposed to be the most fun to drive hybrid (beats the Camry Hybrid by 5mpg too), but I doubt its worth the price premium over the regular version...
the fusion starts at $20k, and you need to step up to a midlevel model with Sync to even get the features on the $15k Soul such as bluetooth. besides, we don't want a sedan.

we're going to test drive the soul tomorrow. if it rides like a cement truck and the dealer deems us as unfit for a good finance APR then we'll keep looking (possibly going the CPO Prius route), but we might consummate the deal tomorrow if all the stars align and the car is acceptable.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fuel economy for the 2.0L version is nothing to write home about at 24/30, but 30 mpg is really the point of diminishing returns in the economic sense.
be quiet and listen......you can hear hell freezing over.

i've been seeing quite a few of those box on wheels around...along with the new nissan...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
be quiet and listen......you can hear hell freezing over.

i've been seeing quite a few of those box on wheels around...along with the new nissan...
Turns out you won't be seeing me in one of those boxes. How come? You can't see out of them! That rising beltline with thick c pillars creates a huge blindspot. Not cool. Combine that with cheap feeling interior plastics and suddenly neither Jessica nor I was still interested in the Soul.

Back to the CPO Prius plate, I guess: hell may resume being wicked hot. :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Looks ok in that picture but saw it on the road the other day - worst looking car I have seen in a good while.
Turns out you won't be seeing me in one of those boxes. How come? You can't see out of them! That rising beltline with thick c pillars creates a huge blindspot. Not cool. Combine that with cheap feeling interior plastics and suddenly neither Jessica nor I was still interested in the Soul.

Back to the CPO Prius plate, I guess: hell may resume being wicked hot. :D
Good to hear that. I'm with CBJ, I pass one frequently on my way home from work, and it is the fugliest thing on the road since the Aztec.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
after many travels and travails we ended up signing today for… a 2008 Honda Fit.

it's a 2008 Fit non-sport with the 5-speed slushbox. certified pre-owned. 23k miles on it, powertrain warranty good for 7/100, bumper to bumper for 4/48. we ended up paying about $600 over edmunds TMV, which i felt was fair (and which was nearly $2k off their initial offer and almost $3k below the price they advertised it in the paper).

it's not the exact car that i wanted, but it'll probably be a good car. the auto's mpg is equal to that of the manual and is easier in new york's stop and go traffic, and the money we save now vs. a prius will come in handy down the road.

crazzycat

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
after many travels and travails we ended up signing today for… a 2008 Honda Fit.

it's a 2008 Fit non-sport with the 5-speed slushbox. certified pre-owned. 23k miles on it, powertrain warranty good for 7/100, bumper to bumper for 4/48. we ended up paying about $600 over edmunds TMV, which i felt was fair (and which was nearly $2k off their initial offer and almost $3k below the price they advertised it in the paper).

it's not the exact car that i wanted, but it'll probably be a good car. the auto's mpg is equal to that of the manual and is easier in new york's stop and go traffic, and the money we save now vs. a prius will come in handy down the road.
good choice i think:thumb:hope you will like it

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

it's a 2008 Fit non-sport with the 5-speed slushbox..
Nice Work! :thumb:

I drove the '09 with paddles and the auto felt very nice and had great shift points. I think it's the same basic config minus the paddles in the 08. I much prefer the body lines of the 08 to the 09 as well, excellent choice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like the inside storage of the Fit with tons of room for two bikes in the back - good choice.
i just wish it had some kind of way to carry the scooter… farfetched? perhaps. but if this thing can carry a vespa anything is possible:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Driving around with your scooter - have you lost it now Toshi?

Get a trailer if you really have too.
taking it to get serviced involves either my wife tagging along or me finding alternate transportation back home. not the easiest! such are the breaks… i'm not truly complaining, however, as this is a rare occurrence. i basically just wanted to post that photo since it is sheer awesomeness :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Madza5 is turning into a big sales success at the moment for Mazda according to Channel 13. Its a great segment with only the Kia Rando as competition and you see a lot of these mini mini vans in Europe. Better milage, better handling but still a lot of inside space. Really a perfect car for hauling mountain bikes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Madza5 is turning into a big sales success at the moment for Mazda according to Channel 13. Its a great segment with only the Kia Rando as competition and you see a lot of these mini mini vans in Europe. Better milage, better handling but still a lot of inside space. Really a perfect car for hauling mountain bikes.
yeah, it is a unique segment. jessica and i sat in a kia rondo while we were mulling over the soul, and it felt surprisingly large even from behind the wheel. i guess we're just used to tiny cars, what with my old RX-8 and her tercel, corolla, and now our fit. even a new-gen scion xB felt like a beast in comparison to any of the above!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
ugh. Rented this recently and logged 800 miles in two days. I'm 6'1", not a fat ass, and it is NOT designed with my size in mind. If the seat was far enough back for my legs to be comfortable, I could barely reach the steering wheel. I will never rent one again.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No adjustable steering wheel? My dad previous car was a Madza5 and I fit in that without a problem and I you height too.

I just found it interesting that a new category car is gaining popularity in the US. I looks like more and more the US car market is looking to Europe and Asia for innovation and even style which is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
No adjustable steering wheel? My dad previous car was a Madza5 and I fit in that without a problem and I you height too.

I just found it interesting that a new category car is gaining popularity in the US. I looks like more and more the US car market is looking to Europe and Asia for innovation and even style which is not a bad thing.
Tilt, yes, reach, no. Also, the road noise had me feeling like my head was in a washing machine. That is coming from someone with a 2002 Subaru Outback Sport, which isn't exactly a peaceful environment at 80 MPH. Granted, 800 miles in two days probably isn't what the Mazda 5 was designed for, and I'm sure it would make an adequate commuter / weekender car. Storage seemed nice, although I didn't try dropping the rearmost seats to see if they fold completely flat. If they don't, then they better be wholly removable, as otherwise there wouldn't be much room in the "trunk." Parts were cheap, AC blew, and my back was sore for several days due to reaching for the steering wheel. Maybe I have long legs and short arms - need to compare myself to the average human, I guess.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A lot of cars are marketed towards women and have the short steering column.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
honda is seeking to improve its motorcycles' efficiency with dual clutch transmissions. first up, the 2010 Honda VFR1100.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/08/honda-to-launch-first-ever-dual-clutch-gearbox-for-motorcycles-w/

Honda said:
…

This world's first motorcycle dual clutch transmission** features a light, compact design that allows it to be combined with existing engines without substantial layout modification. Further, the new transmission delivers the precise acceleration control which riders require thanks to electronic control technology that helps ensure smooth, seamless gear changes. In order to respond to rider demands in a broad range of situations, the transmission is equipped with three operating modes, including two full-auto modes (D-mode for regular operation and S-mode for sporty riding); and a 6-speed manual mode, which delivers the same shift feel as a manual transmission. Honda intends to gradually expand the deployment of the new transmission to more and more of its large-displacement motorcycles, particularly sports models destined for use in traditional large motorcycle markets.

…

** Patents pending: 100
i'm psyched. i'm a big fan of dual-clutch gearboxes on cars, and i'm very interested to see how honda's new tech plays out in the real world.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy.html

To quantify the impact a heavy right foot can have on your wallet, Consumer Reports recently conducted a seven-vehicle test comparing the fuel economy of each at speeds of 55, 65, and 75 mph. The results show the faster you drive, the more fuel you burn—no surprise there. But the most significant change in fuel economy comes from the most fuel-efficient vehicles we tested.

The Honda Insight hybrid showed the largest drop in fuel economy—over 15 mpg going from 55 to 75 mph. The Toyota Camry returned 40.3 mpg at 55 mph, but that reduces to almost 35 mpg when the speed moves up to 65 mph and drops to almost 30 mpg when speeds reach 75 mph. That’s a drop of about 5 mpg for every 10 miles over 55. Vehicles with lower fuel efficiency had the smallest drop. The V8-powered Mercury Mountaineer has a fuel economy of 23.8 mpg at 55 mph and that drops to 21.2 mpg at 65 and 17.8 at 75 mph. See the chart below for more details on all the vehicles tested.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) VW E-Up! concept. 16 kWh of lithium. 80 mile range. 0-60 in 11.5 sec, 85 mph top speed. 2400 lb curb weight of which 530 lbs is the battery.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/volkswagen-e-up-concept/med/

2) Peugeot BB1 concept. controls and windshield layout inspired by scooters, of all things. powertrain made out of clay like the rest of the mockup? :rofl: the trick is that the control layout and packaging let four humans ride around in this tiny thing.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/peugeot-bb1-concept/med/

3) VW L1 concept, a followup to their "1 liter car" from a few yeras back. this one is actually a "1.5 liter" (per 100 km) car, but ~150+ mpg is nothing to scoff at. TDI + electric hybrid drivetrain, tandem seating layout, 36 g CO2/km, 100 mph top speed. only weighs 837 lbs thanks to carbon fiber and unbigness.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/14/frankfurt-2009-volkswagen-l1-concept-the-most-fuel-efficient/

http://green.autoblog.com/gallery/volkswagen-1l-concept/med/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nothing on the bmw hybrid?
yeah, there's that and that Audi R8-based monstrosity. those are more pipe dreams than anything with a chance of becoming a reality (unless you're a sheik of a rich, oil-laden state or the heir of a robber baron).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nothing on the bmw hybrid?
theres been a bunch about the BMW for the past couple of weeks, but it was officially unveiled in Frankfurt today:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/15/frankfurt-2009-bmw-vision-efficientdynamics-concept-is-mean-ger/

the Audi is nuts...3,319lb-ft of torque?? awesome
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/15/frankfurt-2009-audi-e-tron-is-red-outside-nice-inside/

also, the McLaren SLS will offer a electric version soon:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/15/frankfurt-2009-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-comes-dressed-in-red-and/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's an idea that may have some promise, albeit not at their proposed price point or with just a 10 km range (although i suppose one would be hard pressed to ride one further).

i'd love to be able to fold up my wheels and carry them inside. parking worked out ok with my old electric bike since my hospital had good quality, solidly mounted, relatively safe/patrolled bike racks, but not all people have that luxury.

Yike Bike. http://www.yikebike.com/ . out in 2010, supposedly.

specs:

Weight: 9.8 kg (21 lbs)
Frame: Carbon composite
Price: Between ?3,500 and ?3,900
Drive: Electric chainless
Brakes: Electric anti-skid, regen
Speed: 20 km/hr
Power: 1.2 kW, 30min re-charge
Battery: LiFePO4 - fast charge
Range: 10 km
Fold size: Super compact 43 litres
Seat: Leather super comfort