Quantcast

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

I believe the previous owner was John Voigt.

Not my cup of tea, but this other wagon listed on that site is!

It'd make a great shuttle wagon!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But the useful version, not this overpriced yuppie model.
I want the long wheelbase, AWD, big battery, passenger version. So yes, yuppie model for me, which is good since that's what the US is slated to get.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I want the long wheelbase, AWD, big battery, passenger version. So yes, yuppie model for me, which is good since that's what the US is slated to get.
I want a 2WD, big battery pack passenger version w/o the glass roof and all that unnecessary BS. Sadly, VW will most likely not offer it, or at least not right away.
And can I please have a real steering wheel so I am not feeling like I am piloting the Enterprise?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm pretty sure it'll have a conventional control layout a la the ID.4. That wheel was for show to emphasize that (some day!) there'll be a version with level 4 autonomy, where that wheel can retract itself into the dashboard and all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That apears to be the offroad version of the Outback. The black paint is to prevent sun glare for when you are rock crawling through Moab.

However from what I know about BV this is for unmaintained forest service roads.
Yep, it's the wilderness edition. I thought the glare-reducing overlay was a little funny since I certainly experience more sun glare on the highway than in the woods.

And yes, mostly unmaintained service roads. We needed something a little bigger - just bulging at the seams in that little Crosstrek. I didn't want to take a step down in offroad-ability, and the (non-Wilderness) Outback was definitely worse than the stock Crosstrek in that respect. I'm not doing any rock crawling but we definitely got the Crosstrek up some roads we shouldn't have, especially accessing a couple of the 14ers.

Hopefully this will take care of both things. I really liked the size of the Crosstrek, but it had so little trunk space.

Plus, the effing insane car market meant that we drove the Crosstrek for 18 months, put 45k miles on it, and got paid $3k for that privilege, so it made the upgrade a little easier.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yep, it's the wilderness edition. I thought the glare-reducing overlay was a little funny since I certainly experience more sun glare on the highway than in the woods.

And yes, mostly unmaintained service roads. We needed something a little bigger - just bulging at the seams in that little Crosstrek. I didn't want to take a step down in offroad-ability, and the (non-Wilderness) Outback was definitely worse than the stock Crosstrek in that respect. I'm not doing any rock crawling but we definitely got the Crosstrek up some roads we shouldn't have, especially accessing a couple of the 14ers.

Hopefully this will take care of both things. I really liked the size of the Crosstrek, but it had so little trunk space.

Plus, the effing insane car market meant that we drove the Crosstrek for 18 months, put 45k miles on it, and got paid $3k for that privilege, so it made the upgrade a little easier.
Have you had to have the head gaskets replaced yet?

:D

Related: I just found out the Mazda CX-5 we bought in Dec. '20 is now worth about two grand more than we paid for it. :rofl:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This seems to be a pretty final version of the transporter and the passenger versions:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

:D

Related: I just found out the Mazda CX-5 we bought in Dec. '20 is now worth about two grand more than we paid for it. :rofl:
I keep wondering what our 2016 Crosstrek would be worth. I'd love a nice solar array at the house and a car that's not burning dino's.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Per whatever data source Mint uses (that incorporates year, make, model, mileage) the wife's minivan is worth $41k now. If that's true then its net cost over the past 3 years has been negligible after tax credits and all.

Of course we can't find a replacement for it now, either, so that's that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you even sat in a Subaru that wasn't 20 years old? :D

interesting.....i would not be afraid to beat the shit out of that....
That's the goal. Considered a 4Runner but rejected it as we spend so much time driving that the shit gas mileage and much less enjoyable highway ride made this a better choice. Looked into a Mazda CX-5, which is a nicer interior and more fun to drive, but far worse AWD system. The Forester Wilderness seemed great - taller seated position and more head space was nice - but wasn't enough of a cargo room upgrade. This seemed to hit the sweet spot. Plus we keep tossing around the idea of a small camper and the bigger engine would make that easier.

I keep wondering what our 2016 Crosstrek would be worth. I'd love a nice solar array at the house and a car that's not burning dino's.
Really depends on your local market. If you can find a local dealer that isn't fucking with MSRP, you can probably do a pretty decent swap for a new vehicle, because the used market is so insane, but new prices haven't inflated quite as much. Or if you don't need a replacement vehicle at all, of course. I can't believe what the prices are looking like.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Have you even sat in a Subaru that wasn't 20 years old? :D

That's the goal. Considered a 4Runner but rejected it as we spend so much time driving that the shit gas mileage and much less enjoyable highway ride made this a better choice. Looked into a Mazda CX-5, which is a nicer interior and more fun to drive, but far worse AWD system. The Forester Wilderness seemed great - taller seated position and more head space was nice - but wasn't enough of a cargo room upgrade. This seemed to hit the sweet spot. Plus we keep tossing around the idea of a small camper and the bigger engine would make that easier.
my mom has a cx5....while it is nice if you are anywhere near 6 ft tall the driver seat does not back far enough to be comfortable...the only thing i really like the cx5 over her outback is the engine in the cx5....subaru had better awd....

my jetta wagon has about 6 more inches of legroom..

bv's subaru reminds me of the base model car you used to be able to buy....atleast exterior wise that is what it looks like...

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm pretty sure it'll have a conventional control layout a la the ID.4. That wheel was for show to emphasize that (some day!) there'll be a version with level 4 autonomy, where that wheel can retract itself into the dashboard and all.
a hybrid crafter for the states is what i want...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like it. Subaru puts together a nice vehicle. Does that have the turbo engine? My wife has an ascent and it's not terrible to drive. I wish they'd put it in the crosstrek- that would be a fun vehicle!
Yup, it's got the turbo and it has some get-up-and-go after the turbo lag.

I'd love to see a Crosstrek Wilderness with the turbo. I liked the Crosstrek, but would have liked the synthetic seats, and the car was gutless enough that you really had to wind it out in some of the mountain passes. Plus, some traction problems in the woods are resolved with a little more power.

The interior on the Outback is startlingly better than the Crosstrek.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife's '13 CRV was worth more than double (almost triple I think) what we owed on it (bought it in '16) so we got a swinging deal on the '21. It was clean and wicked low miles. But she's put 4k on the new one on almost a year, so WFH has helped with that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That apears to be the offroad version of the Outback. The black paint is to prevent sun glare for when you are rock crawling through Moab.

However from what I know about BV this is for unmaintained forest service roads.
I remember when the Outback was the off-road version of the Legacy...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I am considering a Honda Element. Its got 50K awd and in excellent shape. Bike rack and all. Needs nothing.
I loved the idea of those when they came out. Actually I think that was when I lived in AZ. I love that you can basically hose it out, and hang a hammock, chuck all your shit in, but it’s also still a sensible daily.
That’s kind of what I like about the ID Buzz, all that flexibility without having to be a 8” lifted v8 rar rar stupid rollover penis replacement. Honda should do an e-Element.