Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I dunno, the locals in a 30 min radius seem cantankerous
My Nana (grandmother) often referred to me as a child as a cantankerous wee bugger...
I don't hear it too often anymore so thanks for the warm memories.
She was the eldest of a large Irish/Scottish family and spoke very differently to me than all my friends grandparents did. Very straight to the point and a wicked sense of humour that would have come across a bit harsh if you weren't used to her but well meaning with a heart of gold. She pretty much brought me up as my parents were fairly absent most of my childhood.
My favourite retort of hers was "Ach. Yer erse is oot the windae!" - meaning you're talking nonsense. used as a discussion ending insult. Generally when she was wrong but refusing to concede.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
That's the Tweed Valley/Innerleithen one yeah? Those trails look good in the vids I've seen, keen to see how the season pans out.

Would be good if the EWS could get back outside Europe soon though.
Aus and NZ rounds already cancelled for next season, hopefully North America stays on the schedule.
Damn Delta Charlie Niner variant screwing it all up again.....:(

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sam Hill lining up for the EWS-E for the Tweed Valley race apparently. Dunno if that means he isn't doing the normal EWS as well or not but will be interesting to see him up against Nico again.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
There was that American at worlds who medaled (won? I don't remember. He's from Durango, CO, so I should know. Sorry I suck.) also participated and podium'd in the e-bike race. Not that anyone cares. But still....kinda cool.

I think the uphill racing of e-bikes brings a new dimension of bike riding and racing not really done before (if you don't count XC, but even then, it was XC).

For ebikes, I can tell you right now, "let's do some gnarly uphills!" Then we'll drink beer at the top and cruise down. Kinda the opposite of what I'm used to. And I'm strangely ok with that. I guess I need to hand over my man card.... :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
There was that American at worlds who medaled (won? I don't remember. He's from Durango, CO, so I should know. Sorry I suck.) also participated and podium'd in the e-bike race. Not that anyone cares. But still....kinda cool.

I think the uphill racing of e-bikes brings a new dimension of bike riding and racing not really done before (if you don't count XC, but even then, it was XC).

For ebikes, I can tell you right now, "let's do some gnarly uphills!" Then we'll drink beer at the top and cruise down. Kinda the opposite of what I'm used to. And I'm strangely ok with that. I guess I need to hand over my man card.... :)
Are you talking about Myles Rockwell?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Are you talking about Myles Rockwell?
pretty sure miles retired from elite racing a few decades ago

Chris Blevins won the worlds short track race, then got bronze in the e bike race the next day and also silver two days prior in the xc relay event for three medals in three days.

he also won the final world cup xc race last weekend - the first american to win a world cup xc race since tinker in '94

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Ned Overend, JT (I think), Eli Tomac lives over the hill in Cortez,Travis Brown, Todd Wells, Howard Grotts, and a slew of "neo pros" like Blevins and fast collegiate racers from Fort Lewis are all rolling around Durango. This place is crazy. o_O

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's a lot of knowledge of the race format for someone who professes not to care. ;)
Yeah. Local knowledge bro
My mate happens to be running the timing and stage taping for the race.. infact I bumped into him and his crew this morning. They were out taping the stages all day today (and will be again tomorrow)... Being mates n that we tend to talk.

Saw your boy Richie today as we left the trails. He was doing sprints on the road back into innerleithen. The horsepower he was putting down reminded me a lot of road pro tour riders from the 90s/00s ;)

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looking at the EWS-E results, Hill basically Sam Hill'ed most of the stages but lost too much time on the bike dyno test stages to podium. What a stupid fucken format

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I see Shawn Neer in the top 5 on some of those stages. Meaning the new Yet-E is getting "traction"? LOL

Cheezey joke, I know

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's a thing? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well they're just "power stages" which is a hill climb effectively. Stupid things.

In the end Hill got 3rd after one of the other riders was penalised for late checkpoints or something. Still daft that they're timing uphills.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Still daft that they're timing uphills.
Especially when every single one of them stalled and had to push the stupid heavy bike up the timed stage.
what a shit show.
No wonder Reece faked a crash to go home early after he'd easily won all the actual DH stages.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Especially when every single one of them stalled and had to push the stupid heavy bike up the timed stage.
what a shit show.
No wonder Reece faked a crash to go home early after he'd easily won all the actual DH stages.
You totally called the outcome based solely on the brand of motor used for the power stages.

I don't really have an issue with electronically assisting climbing or using uplifts or whatever for enduros. I'm not some enduro purist or "earn your turns" dingus. I like the idea of multi stage descent races (much like a motor rally). I just think they should drop timed climbing, whether it be prolonged in stage climbs or "power stages". Leave that stuff to XC and hillclimb races.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
One of the trails used this year is actually called "a salmons journey" not sure if its in the proper EWS or the Mickey mouse shit show