Quantcast

THE FUCKING POWER METER THREAD

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's true. how will we ever know which crankarm to buy?
i'm sure you'll figure out a way to buy the ones that aren't compatible then start 3 threads trying to figure out how to make it work. and still complain its not available in neon.

pedal based power meters have the appeal that they can be easily and readily swapped between bikes. the garmin has the extra appeal that for a small amount more it can be used across either road OR mtbs for a little extra change.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The kind of person considering a $1200 set of pedals probably doesn't ride hard enough trails to worry about that.
I will have no money because House 2, but in an alternate universe I'd consider power meter pedals, and I bang into the rox regularly.

I think it'd be super cool data to have comparing my input at the pedals vs the Strava terrain, reported combined weight + pace-derived power output of me + Shimano motor.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I will have no money because House 2, but in an alternate universe I'd consider power meter pedals, and I bang into the rox regularly.

I think it'd be super cool data to have comparing my input at the pedals vs the Strava terrain, reported combined weight + pace-derived power output of me + Shimano motor.
i'd honestly just be curious to see what kind of power i'm putting out on local trails.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i like to laugh at toshi for all the effort he puts in on a peleton, only to ride an ebike.
I was going to make some sort of witty comment about that, but I think my brain had to put all its effort into figuring out why someone would do all that when they ride an e-bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would be interested for the gravel and road bikes for ‘training’ purposes (I use that term lightly), but the Mt. bike just seems too constantly variable
I like the power meter on my Saris trainer. Gives me a distraction from the fact I am not going anywhere. No desire to look at any kind of screen while I am outside. Majority of my pedaling occurs on long climbs, if I care to inform myself of performance I can just look at how quickly I did it, but I don't.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He needs a bike trainer he can use to charge the e-bike batteries.
I definitely have had the thought that the ideal commuting "bike" would be:

- velomobile
- serial hybrid. Pedals connected to a generator so that one could spin constantly at a nice zone 1/2 power output. Wheel motor or in-board motor with motorcycle twist throttle controls for the actual locomotion part of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like the power meter on my Saris trainer. Gives me a distraction from the fact I am not going anywhere. No desire to look at any kind of screen while I am outside. Majority of my pedaling occurs on long climbs, if I care to inform myself of performance I can just look at how quickly I did it, but I don't.
Yea, the power meter on my trainer does actually help motivate me to get more effort out of the sessions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That’s because you clearly have some odd prejudice against ebikes and don’t understand them.
I'd say the lack of understanding might be the other way around.

I enjoy the view more from a mountain I have climbed than one where I took a car/tram/elevator to the top.

Most of my life I didn't have the choice, but I've always enjoyed the fruits of my labor more than the fruits of others. Perhaps I would change my mind after champagne with the French ambassador.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I’ve been riding bikes since I was four. I remember stacking my Raleigh Budgie before I was six. I’ve ridden all sorts of stuff, over 40 years but mostly MTB. I’ve grown up through the evolution of MTBs, I’ve ridden thousands of miles all over the planet.

I think haters should think about why you hate other people having fun in a particular way when they are not hurting you, in fact in the long run they are probably helping you.

Especially when this activity is so vastly, closely basically identical to the thing you are ‘othering’ away from it.

Unstick your middle fingers, dudes.
Unstick your middle fingers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL I can hate on 1200$ power pedals and still appreciate power meters and training with power. I paid $450 for my asioma single side PM. You could buy the same and a set of Xpedo mtb pedals and swap these yourself for half the price. They won't have garmin's warranty, but they won't have garmin's (lack of) reliability either. I personally don't understand why you'd choose these over a separate crankarm sensor for your road and MTB and still save $400.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
let's not turn this into another ebike debate thread. I think many of you think that putting $440 power pedals on a $250 spin bike is just as silly as getting power readings on an ebike, but there's a hate thread in the DH forum for you to be salty on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm sure you'll figure out a way to buy the ones that aren't compatible then start 3 threads trying to figure out how to make it work. and still complain its not available in neon.

pedal based power meters have the appeal that they can be easily and readily swapped between bikes. the garmin has the extra appeal that for a small amount more it can be used across either road OR mtbs for a little extra change.
I'm starting to think you might be a garmin homer

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That’s because you clearly have some odd prejudice against ebikes and don’t understand them.
no, it's because I will bust toshi's chops any time the opportunity presents itself.

also, i'm still not bored with how quickly ebike justice warriors come to the defense of ebikes. I didn't even say anything disparaging about ebikes and yet here you are. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm starting to think you might be a garmin homer
its no secret I like their stuff, but being able to see the advantages of swapping power meter pedals doesn't mean about about to drop $1400 for the ability to do so.

I personally don't understand why you'd choose these over a separate crankarm sensor for your road and MTB and still save $400.
the math here only works out if you're doing so for a 1-2 bikes ($1200 for the pedals vs ~$500 for a dual sided stages meter per crank set, once you hit 3 bikes/cranksets the numbers favor the pedals). the entire point is that they can be quickly and easily swapped across multiple bikes. sure you *could* swap cranks, but that's assuming the cranks will fit both bikes (thanks for all the standards, lizards) and is way more time consuming (which defeats the point).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
its no secret I like their stuff, but being able to see the advantages of swapping power meter pedals doesn't mean about about to drop $1400 for the ability to do so.

the math here only works out if you're doing so for a 1-2 bikes ($1200 for the pedals vs ~$500 for a dual sided stages meter per crank set, once you hit 3 bikes/cranksets the numbers favor the pedals). the entire point is that they can be quickly and easily swapped across multiple bikes. sure you *could* swap cranks, but that's assuming the cranks will fit both bikes (thanks for all the standards, lizards) and is way more time consuming (which defeats the point).
I'm just saying that, from experience, hot swapping your pedals is not as easy as it sounds. I look forward to the time that my body is familiar enough with power levels that I don't need them on the trainer, simply so that I can leave them on my road bike and stop adjusting my head unit and reinstalling them every week/weekend. heck, I'm tempted to buy a second set so that I don't have to swap them anymore. I just can't see anybody who can afford $1200 pedals to choose this solution over two separate, permanent options.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm just saying that, from experience, hot swapping your pedals is not as easy as it sounds.
swapping pedals between bikes is a 5 minute job. tops.

swapping the bodies on the pedals themselves is probably a 15 minute job for anyone mechanically proficient, and from the images i've seen online the garmin one appears to be straightforward.

I look forward to the time that my body is familiar enough with power levels that I don't need them on the trainer, simply so that I can leave them on my road bike and stop adjusting my head unit and reinstalling them every week/weekend. heck, I'm tempted to buy a second set so that I don't have to swap them anymore.
so wait, you'd spend MORE to not have to spend 5 minutes to swap pedals? ok.

I just can't see anybody who can afford $1200 pedals to choose this solution over two separate, permanent options.
specialized just released a $13,000 ebike. your argument is invalid.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so wait, you'd spend MORE to not have to spend 5 minutes to swap pedals? ok.
yes, I would spend more to not have to remove my pedals, swap pedal bodies, reinstall them onto my new bike, adjust crank length on my head unit and calibrate every time I wanted to ride. I get annoyed that I have to check tire pressure every time I ride and air up my shocks every three or four rides. So yeah, I would not want to do "a five minute job" every time I hopped on the bike. I would rather spend the same cost on a pair of arm or spider based power meters to do the same job without spending 30 minutes faffing around before each ride.