Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Want to thumbs up, but riding in such conditions seems downright inadvisable! Well, glad you are out doing what you enjoy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was only out for 2.5 hours. If I was out for more, I would have had to drop a few chem heaters in the pockets I sewed into my liner-socks for my boots.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Still riding to school! We are the lone grade 1 riders now. This weekend all the snow melted, so we hit all our favorite neighborhood spots.

EB313578-EA48-4C95-B6BB-A65B5776FEBC.jpeg
B1BB4319-BA45-416B-9534-B1DF7B37B11A.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why do you have a laser on your handlebars?

Better question: Why don't you have a laser on your handlebars?

1639716880566.png

1639716894904.png

1639716910529.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Raiju 20” hardtail. Wondering if I should make it single speed like his current bike.

I'd say leave the gears on, explain how they work, he can always just stick it in the middle of the cassette and not shift.

I do similar on my rigid 29er on occasion, just stick it in a certain gear and "SS" for the ride.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Also, I do actually ride. The dog in the bottom rigjt is a total nutter. Didn’t realize I caught him that pose. He is chasing rain…not trying to eat me.

B74A0129-A676-4229-BFA8-6B5E82B50440.jpeg

Then there is this odd little creature. Strange looking, but so fast!

CC61D5B0-21DD-4685-8581-05E606C8BAD9.jpeg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Curious....

What is yous guys cutoff temp for shorts vs pants? (assuming no knee warmers pads)

I be in the 40 degree range for our normal in bush riding.
My normal routine, is freeze my ass off, sweat my ass off, then freeze my ass off.
A buddy of mine is worse, he was riding the other day in 25 degrees wearing shorts.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Curious....

What is yous guys cutoff temp for shorts vs pants? (assuming no knee warmers pads)

My normal routine, is freeze my ass off, sweat my ass off, then freeze my ass off.
A buddy of mine is worse, he was riding the other day in 25 degrees wearing shorts.
I always wear pants and pads, pants basically for protection against whipped legs from the tight trails w. dense plants and bug bites. I have a lighter pair (Fox Attack IIRC) for summer and some (basically MX) Fox 360s for colder weather. It never really gets super cold here, like it has snowed once in ten years.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Curious....

Generally if it's under 40F I'm in pants. Or shants/manpris. The winter shoes come out if it's under 30F.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I always wear pants and pads, pants basically for protection against whipped legs from the tight trails w. dense plants and bug bites. I have a lighter pair (Fox Attack IIRC) for summer and some (basically MX) Fox 360s for colder weather. It never really gets super cold here, like it has snowed once in ten years.
Don't you find the MX pants too bulky for trail riding? I go with thermal tights and softshell shorts but am looking for warm pants.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Don't you find the MX pants too bulky for trail riding? I go with thermal tights and softshell shorts but am looking for warm pants.
So first just to clarify, even in winter a cold day where I ride is like 5°C here, maybe a bit less with wind. Summer can get pretty hot but I’d say for the most part I ride in teens and low 20s C. Having used thermals for hiking and skiing I would say for sure that pants are not as hot as those, but I never wore those mtb ones. If you’re looking for ‘hot pants’ as it were these might not be enough.

For ages BC I used Dainese mtb pants and those were all way burlier material than the 360s I run now. Can’t seem to get them anymore though. I think the fit and articulation are the most important provided they are cool enough/temperature appropriate. Even the old Dainese wicked really well and I never thought of them as ‘hot’.

Fox stuff also generally fits me really well, the bends are in the right places for me as it were, and they aren’t as heavy as you might think. When I first got them (mail order from DE of course lol) they felt almost cheap to what I was expecting, but they’re a couple of years old now and a few crashes and many butt buzzes deep, all still good except for one lightly shreaded knee panel over my pad shell and that just looks cool. I have some chunky canvas shorts that easily weigh more than the 360s. Although the shin and thighs are sturdy, stuff like the rear of the calf is basically just a fancy mesh and you can feel a breeze through it.