Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't think most are riding way narrower bars anymore...maybe a little and maybe more than a few old curmudgeons that insist on 600mm bars and lack of bike control or 15 year old bikes, but I'd still put those in the minority of serious racers and bar size, for everything from XC racing to DH.

View attachment 169325View attachment 169326View attachment 169327View attachment 169328
This is one of my favorite keyhole sections. What makes it interesting is the garbage on both sides.

When I say garbage, I mean awesomeness. :wub:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Please share your data. Or is your argument based on your own experience?
Both. See PB's survey. Also, bike shop buddies tell me that hardly anyone cuts their bars, so they ride what comes stock. As most companies spec wider bars these days, that is what people are using. Usually only the more experienced riders know what they want or experiment until they do.
For me it is 685-710 on the trail/XC bikes, 740 on the enduro, and between 740 and 780 on the DH bikes. Just going by shoulder width, my sweet spot is between 710 and 740, also depending on bike, bar shape and stem length.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Both. See PB's survey. Also, bike shop buddies tell me that hardly anyone cuts their bars, so they ride what comes stock. As most companies spec wider bars these days, that is what people are using. Usually only the more experienced riders know what they want or experiment until they do.
For me it is 685-710 on the trail/XC bikes, 740 on the enduro, and between 740 and 780 on the DH bikes. Just going by shoulder width, my sweet spot is between 710 and 740, also depending on bike, bar shape and stem length.

That sounds more like lazy bike shops not bothering to try to help customers bikes to fit. Also has little correlation with anyone's skill.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
6'2" Ape-index +1.5

Trail and DH bikes are both setup with 780.
Tried going back to a 750 on the trail bike as an experiment. Nope.
I am having a hard time fathoming how I rode with < 600 :eek:

Looking at the PB stuff I seem to be in the same neighborhood as others my size.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
6'2" Ape-index +1.5

Trail and DH bikes are both setup with 780.
Tried going back to a 750 on the trail bike as an experiment. Nope.
I am having a hard time fathoming how I rode with < 600 :eek:

Looking at the PB stuff I seem to be in the same neighborhood as others my size.
Ha, 6'2" with a +3,

780 on my fatty, I think I'm still 800 on my new size 4 GG, yet I happily just did a ride on my Ti rigid 29er which has 700mm Ti bars with a 100mm stem :p

I think my DH bike still has the 820's it came with and I do need to trim those just a little bit.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ha, 6'2" with a +3,

780 on my fatty, I think I'm still 800 on my new size 4 GG, yet I happily just did a ride on my Ti rigid 29er which has 700mm Ti bars with a 100mm stem :p

I think my DH bike still has the 820's it came with and I do need to trim those just a little bit.

It is almost as though you are equipped with some powerful control system that can easily adapt to different mechanical setups. Where the overall performance is based more on how well that control system can identify and react to terrain than small differences in the length of a few sticks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because who really wants to keep their front wheel straight going through rocks, amiright?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Have to say I’m with @iRider on this one. Narrower end of things for me.
A lot of the trails here are narrow of have slalom-y features which pushes one in that direction too, and a fair part of my formative MTB years were when super narrow bars were all the rage.
Also IMO ergonomics aside unless you’re a big dude 800 kinda just makes you look like a dick.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Kid with cousin, enjoying the warmth! You know I couldn’t help but tune up her bike prior to the ride.

1EA1B076-7083-4FFA-B52E-199A67038ABE.jpeg
AF685E3B-7E7F-41A0-86EC-9A032DF0F7BC.jpeg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@MonkeyGut

Indeed, I rode out of Lory that day. Took that pic on Timber trail I think. I followed the 4SOH route. Been visiting family in Laramie and it's easy to come down 287 for a FoCo shreddy. I LOVE the fact I can get to Lory without traversing the sprawling hell hole. I have some relatives in Masonville also which seems like a nice place to be from. The trails at Horsetooth are a good mix of smooth pedaling flat stuff and chunky rocky techfest. I want to spend more time on the trails at the south end of the reservoir - seems like the 4SOH route barely scratches the surface.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
@MonkeyGut

Indeed, I rode out of Lory that day. Took that pic on Timber trail I think. I followed the 4SOH route. Been visiting family in Laramie and it's easy to come down 287 for a FoCo shreddy. I LOVE the fact I can get to Lory without traversing the sprawling hell hole. I have some relatives in Masonville also which seems like a nice place to be from. The trails at Horsetooth are a good mix of smooth pedaling flat stuff and chunky rocky techfest. I want to spend more time on the trails at the south end of the reservoir - seems like the 4SOH route barely scratches the surface.
Yeah, the tech chunk of Horsetooth/Lory westside connections where my favorites... probably too snowy for that now. The Blue sky out'n back is coo cruise. I'm not a huge fan of infrastructure but the water fountains at Horsetooth means 2 bottles can cover it all! Enjoy

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Did a little bike repair for my nephews bike. It started when I pulled into a manual and didn’t adjust for it being a 20” and looped. Grabbed the rear brake and nothing… it happened so quick I ended up shinned, then on my ass. Brake repair followed :)

69440643-C20D-471E-A3B1-4DCEEDA6A557.jpeg

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
@MonkeyGut

Oh man this is makin me all reminisce. My wife used to drop me at horsetooth and I would make my way back to Loveland via the devils backbone. Good times on those trails.