Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Curious....

What is yous guys cutoff temp for shorts vs pants? (assuming no knee warmers pads)

I be in the 40 degree range for our normal in bush riding.
My normal routine, is freeze my ass off, sweat my ass off, then freeze my ass off.
A buddy of mine is worse, he was riding the other day in 25 degrees wearing shorts.
I'm in bike shorts all year. I just add a thin lycra leggin under for up to -5F.
Colder than that I avoid riding.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So first just to clarify, even in winter a cold day where I ride is like 5°C here, maybe a bit less with wind. Summer can get pretty hot but I’d say for the most part I ride in teens and low 20s C. Having used thermals for hiking and skiing I would say for sure that pants are not as hot as those, but I never wore those mtb ones. If you’re looking for ‘hot pants’ as it were these might not be enough.

For ages BC I used Dainese mtb pants and those were all way burlier material than the 360s I run now. Can’t seem to get them anymore though. I think the fit and articulation are the most important provided they are cool enough/temperature appropriate. Even the old Dainese wicked really well and I never thought of them as ‘hot’.

Fox stuff also generally fits me really well, the bends are in the right places for me as it were, and they aren’t as heavy as you might think. When I first got them (mail order from DE of course lol) they felt almost cheap to what I was expecting, but they’re a couple of years old now and a few crashes and many butt buzzes deep, all still good except for one lightly shreaded knee panel over my pad shell and that just looks cool. I have some chunky canvas shorts that easily weigh more than the 360s. Although the shin and thighs are sturdy, stuff like the rear of the calf is basically just a fancy mesh and you can feel a breeze through it.
I see what you mean. Temps in the winter here are similar, sometimes below freezing. My combo is warm enough but a proper pant would be more convenient in putting on IMO.
The couple-of-years-old 360 I have are nice for DH/FR days, but if I want to pedal they are too baggy, overall bulky and not cut for the riding position I have on the bike. I am looking at the Defend Fire right now, but no chance to try them on locally. Maybe I should also look into current generation 360s, although I also need them to be at least water repellent.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm in bike shorts all year. I just add a thin lycra leggin under for up to -5F.
Colder than that I avoid riding.
So shorts at -15C with a thin lycra legging?! I need a bit more than that and especially if there is any wind.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So shorts at -15C with a thin lycra legging?! I need a bit more than that and especially if there is any wind.
Only for fatbiking cause I get hot fast. I use to know a bike shop owners 25 years ago that was cycling all year. He then told me "if you are comfortable when you start your ride it means you're overdressed"

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Winter here is wet (humidity, rain and snow) and not really that cold - it rarely gets below freezing anymore. Pants are for the most part too hot, until they get soaked with rain, snow, mud and sweat. Then they become misrerable, cold and wet ballast. Shorts and knee protectors seem to be the goto for folks here.

Edit: Pearl Izumi winter gear was absolutely my goto when I lived in places where it actually gets cold. Still use their stuff when ever practical, bc it is functional and lasts forever - even if it is ugly af.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Curious....

What is yous guys cutoff temp for shorts vs pants? (assuming no knee warmers pads)

I be in the 40 degree range for our normal in bush riding.
My normal routine, is freeze my ass off, sweat my ass off, then freeze my ass off.
A buddy of mine is worse, he was riding the other day in 25 degrees wearing shorts.
Shorts with base layer/long underwear works pretty good to 40s...BUT highly depends on your output and how much wind you are encountering IME, it has the potential to chill-freeze my toes depending on the boots and terrain/weather. Some of the light XC ski pants breath so well they do fine up towards 50 freedom degrees. Also depends on: Is it going to get warmer during the ride?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Only for fatbiking cause I get hot fast. I use to know a bike shop owners 25 years ago that was cycling all year. He then told me "if you are comfortable when you start your ride it means you're overdressed"
yes, no doubt. All I’m saying is that for those temps, I need more on my legs than that. Particularly knees.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I see what you mean. Temps in the winter here are similar, sometimes below freezing. My combo is warm enough but a proper pant would be more convenient in putting on IMO.
The couple-of-years-old 360 I have are nice for DH/FR days, but if I want to pedal they are too baggy, overall bulky and not cut for the riding position I have on the bike. I am looking at the Defend Fire right now, but no chance to try them on locally. Maybe I should also look into current generation 360s, although I also need them to be at least water repellent.
I just checked, my ‘attacks’ are actually ‘defends’. Not fire though. On a very scientific test (picking them up) they weight about half the weight of a pair of regular jeans.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So actually I have melted a hole in the crotch of my 180s from some tyre buzz or another. Never noticed that before. Glad it is slightly off to the side… :blink:
1B34A629-4A15-4909-85E4-DE9B0031CAB9.jpeg

Right knee after a few good crashes and slides:

2020F3EC-4B26-460E-A4C9-65A9082C577B.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
#pantsmonkey

Lunch break ride today in freezing temps, no appendages suffered from frostbite which is nice. Still not quite sure why I took this stupid picture. :s

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The new light is nice and bright. And doubles as a little space heater on the head.

This is just the old handlebar light, it's amazing having this new light and being able to see around corners. I had gotten used to using that other light which was in permanent limp mode pretty much.

Just need to bleed the brakes on this bike, because the back one went straight to the bar on its first pull. :D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Don't you find the MX pants too bulky for trail riding? I go with thermal tights and softshell shorts but am looking for warm pants.
All the new DH pants are extremely stretchy and have zero bulk. My favorites for fit and stretch are the Specialized Demo pant. I wear pants as much as possible but it isn’t very hot here.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Trees properly close. We have a notorious one called "The Needle", but we got lots and lots all over the place like that. I find about 3 snowshoe-widths is necessary to set the edge enough.
We don't have much of those on the network. This is the entrance of the trail in my backyard. We wanted to have a physical limit so the dogs know where our yard ends.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, but how many people with that wide handlebars do? If you look at the sharp end of racing, most are riding way narrower bars.
I don't think most are riding way narrower bars anymore...maybe a little and maybe more than a few old curmudgeons that insist on 600mm bars and lack of bike control or 15 year old bikes, but I'd still put those in the minority of serious racers and bar size, for everything from XC racing to DH.

129511539_10102205157947988_4354801154334189286_n.jpg
26116007_10155896089466487_6251754214399245625_o.jpg
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4674.JPG

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The Magura MT5 eStops are a significant upgrade if you can get them. Metal lever blade too.

Careful with the overclocking, many bad experiences apparently abound with fast battery degradation and motor-says-no.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just copying what elite racers run isn't what I would call knowing how to ride.
My point exactly. But people that ride a lot and/or ride well know their equipment and/or test a lot. They will find a perfect setup for them. Unless you are 6.5 and/or a body builder I argue that there is nearly no way 800 mm bars are the optimal solution for you.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My point exactly. But people that ride a lot and/or ride well know their equipment and/or test a lot. They will find a perfect setup for them. Unless you are 6.5 and/or a body builder I argue that there is nearly no way 800 mm bars are the optimal solution for you.
Please share your data. Or is your argument based on your own experience?

I found my sweet spot between 770 and 780 depending on bike fit. However I can totally see someone taller or ape-ier preferring something wider, or narrower.