Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Impact wrench?? PB blaster?? Some heat (put a soldering iron on the bolt head)to break it if it is loctited??

Can you get either side/bolt of the lower pin out?

I stripped my 07 completely before building to make sure everything was 'right' by my hand but all seemed OK. THere have been several threads lately about stuck bolts/shock pins though. Must be some new guy at the factor who has his torque wrench set to 11.....

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
I had that serious problem with the shock pin once. What would you suggest to do to prevent that? A friend of mine ordered one. Grease the pin or just loctite those two counter sunk bolts?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
YAY, got the shock out!

Turns out the M6 bolt was seized to the aluminum nut that it sits in. Finally was able to break the M6 free from the axle but it pulled out the Aluminum nut too, had to put it on the work bench and smack the M6 with a hammer to free it. Decided to apply a dab of anti-seize to keep it from happening in the future.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
I stripped my lower shock bolt on my 05 (4mm) and replaced both sides with grade 8 5mm bolts. you're right, Al bolts just cant hold up to the torque required to get rid of the slop

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
does anyone know the paint codes used in the 2007, or even better 2006 sunday factory frames in monster green?
thanks
(emailed IH with no helpful response "just ask monster")

ska todd couldnt help me as he no longer works for IH anymore, but surely he would still knows details about it?

can anyone help me out? :S
anyone? :confused:

tonyliu

Chimp
Jan 4, 2009
What are these pics of? It doesn't look like the stock link.

Is that machined out edges. The whole thing looks much slimmer than stock, is it def a sunday link?
I have download the PDF file of sunday frame,but some size is not right,it is for 07 sunday ,mine is 06 sunday team.so i have not choice ,do it by myself.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I have download the PDF file of sunday frame,but some size is not right,it is for 07 sunday ,mine is 06 sunday team.so i have not choice ,do it by myself.
Are you making and marketing them by yourself? If so I would highly advise you not to, especially on this forum as the man that holds the patent is a frequent member.
If not then disregard, it is a bit hard to understand your posts.

tonyliu

Chimp
Jan 4, 2009
Are you making and marketing them by yourself? If so I would highly advise you not to, especially on this forum as the man that holds the patent is a frequent member.
If not then disregard, it is a bit hard to understand your posts.
thanks a lot, i only make it for my sunday frame,not for sales.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
the xompression adjust of my swinger x6 keeps hitting the lower link. this sux.
sent to service coz it let out all the oil there and i think becaouse of the hitting , also at the stanchion it is bleeding oil.
why had manitou have to build such an idiot shaped shock??
gonna buy a roco soon i think.

still looking for dented /damaged sunday frames and parts!
rodus77@gmail.com!

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
HELP!

I've aquired a bit of play in my top main pivot that I can't seem to shake. Bearings seem to be kosher, popped the seals off and repacked in case. Replaced the 4mm hardware with some grade 8 5mms to take some torque, but to no avail.

I'm starting to think that maybe the pivot axle has ovalized the hole in my frame? Anyone else had problems similar to mine? If this is the case, it's a good thing I have another front triangle sitting in my closet

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
the xompression adjust of my swinger x6 keeps hitting the lower link. this sux.
sent to service coz it let out all the oil there and i think becaouse of the hitting , also at the stanchion it is bleeding oil.
why had manitou have to build such an idiot shaped shock??
gonna buy a roco soon i think.

still looking for dented /damaged sunday frames and parts!
rodus77@gmail.com!
If you buy a roco, you'll run into the same problems.....the previous owner of my bike put a roco wc on 06 linkage without doing the proper homework, my compression knob got lopped off on one of the first rides. If you take the knob off it clears fine, and you can still adjust the needle if you prefer

Also, a roco will need to be tuned to the sunday as they are overdamped badly for the frame. I've reshimmed mine a few times, and it works well now....if you need any help or advice shoot me a pm

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
HELP!

I've aquired a bit of play in my top main pivot that I can't seem to shake. Bearings seem to be kosher, popped the seals off and repacked in case. Replaced the 4mm hardware with some grade 8 5mms to take some torque, but to no avail.

I'm starting to think that maybe the pivot axle has ovalized the hole in my frame? Anyone else had problems similar to mine? If this is the case, it's a good thing I have another front triangle sitting in my closet

I had an issue where the upper shock pin/bolt had in incorrect (too shallow) countersink on the bolt end. this allowed the bolt to bottom out on the pin before it pinched the rocker correctly. Felt like it could have been the frame pivot at first....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I had an issue where the upper shock pin/bolt had in incorrect (too shallow) countersink on the bolt end. this allowed the bolt to bottom out on the pin before it pinched the rocker correctly. Felt like it could have been the frame pivot at first....
Bingo! I had the same thing - felt like a worn DU bushing. I pulled the upper pin and opened up the countersink a little. Perfect now.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
hello

my friend is looking at purchasing an iron horse sunday 2008 frame, the problem is we live in a rural area so its difficult to test ride bikes like the sunday (more xc bikes here)

he's 185cm (6ft) and is unsure about what size to go for.

also, reading this thread alot of maintenance seems to be needed(maybe because everything is one place so you see more problems), what would be a good set of spares to take with you on trips for the frame?

thanks

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
I would say Medium would be perfect

had my 07 Sunday for almost 2 yrs and yet to have a prob, but I think you will find some of the earlier models may have had issues...read thru this thread

By the way guys

I have just tried one of the new Straitline shorty boxxer direct mount stems on my Sunday and they are the sh8t!@!! for those that may find the TT of the Sunday a lil too long, has made my bike so more playful. easier to get the weight directly over the front of the fork and weight behind the seat when needed

http://www.sicklines.com/2008/12/11/preview-straitline-ultra-boxxer-direct-mount-stem/

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
Started looking through the thread but its way too long at this point to go through page by page. Does anyone have, or are there directions for installing new 08 linkage kits? took my frame apart way too early and now I'm looking at a bunch of parts. The 08 stuff is different than my 06 stuff as well.

I have a pretty good idea looking at the schematics on page 1 but don't want to screw this up.
Thanks

(edit) ok its pretty easy to do when you're not stoned. But Now I need dimensions for the dhx5.0 reducers. 10mm x something? Thought info was in this link but can't find it. Anyone??

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
If you buy a roco, you'll run into the same problems.....the previous owner of my bike put a roco wc on 06 linkage without doing the proper homework, my compression knob got lopped off on one of the first rides.

Would this be me? If so please read the first post on the first page. If you had an issue it is NOT because of lack of homework.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
can anyone with a 07/08 sunday running DHX5 tell me how much psi they are running and their weight? Thanks
used dw settings (cranked bottom out all the way, few clicks of pro pedal) then tried 150psi (I weigh 175lbs , 79kgs), was way too hard. tried 120psi bit better but still cant get a real plush feel. so looking for recommendations

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
can anyone with a 07/08 sunday running DHX5 tell me how much psi they are running and their weight? Thanks
used dw settings (cranked bottom out all the way, few clicks of pro pedal) then tried 150psi (I weigh 175lbs , 79kgs), was way too hard. tried 120psi bit better but still cant get a real plush feel. so looking for recommendations
Well the same reco that you read said to start at ~110 psi and adjust from there, no?

Set the res pressure to the min printed on the shock....ditch the pro pedal. Any chances your spring is too stiff? Tried a softer one?

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
Where abouts can I buy new linkage bolts etc(particularly #21, the pivot axle, on the frame assembly pdf)?

Do I have to buy these from Ironhorse?

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Can someone tell me what difference do you feel when you Push Tune fox dhx5.0 on sunday ff 08'? Is it worth of money?
My tracks are almost all "rocky garden" like. So I need shock that is fast (rebound) and bullet proof. Is it better to push dhx or to buy new vivid? Any suggestions?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have a pushed DHX on mine and have given my impressions a few times. You can search for some more info, but essentially they were able to correct/change everything that I wanted. Rebound sped up yet controlled, bettter bottom out control, little better compliance with out giving up chasis stability.

Also, at least in this country, you cannot get the correct Vivid (need the 'A' tune) for a Sunday..and they will/may not fit a spring larger than 350# without rubbing on the frame. This has also covered several times here in the past.

Search people...Search.

Alattack

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
Hello guys,

I've ordered new bearings (Enduro max E) to change my Sunday 06 bearings.

I'll receive it in the next days. Do you have any tips to extract & replace the bearings?
How to extract the main pivot's bearings?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I'm a little curious here, but why wouldn't anybody use full bottom out on the shock? I'm running a pushed dhx on my sunday and I haven't played around with bottom out adjust, just wondering if there are drawbacks to running full bottom out.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok, guys....I thought I would be able to finish my build by now, but either I am retarded or something is awry with my frame or something. So heres the scenario, I took the pivot assembly apart in order to get my new shock in and I was getting quite a bit of resistance, so I took it further apart (down to the bearings into the frame) to take a look at whats going on. Apparently I am not getting a flush fitting when two large pivot assemblies are in. It comes to looking like they are offset, which I know is not the case. That being said, I was to further press the bearings to make sure they are not the cause of the problem. I do not own a bearing press, so does anyone have any clever methods to press the two main pivot bearings for the F7 linkage kits.

Any help much be much appreciated. Thanks.

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
Does anyone run Diverse ti 350x3,00 on ther fox dhx5?
Are they made in US or TW? Any rubbing on the frame?

What would be your choice for Ti 350x3,00:

Nuke Proof - 190$
Diverse - 195$
RCS - 260$
Obtainium - 295$

I'm looking for long term durability/reliability!
Weight is not an issue...

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Would this be me? If so please read the first post on the first page. If you had an issue it is NOT because of lack of homework.
yes, no insult intended. the first post states that the linkage will allow the resevoir of the roco to clear, but if you read a few pages into it there are posts about removing the comp knob the avoid issues. also, the first post is referring to an rc, not a wc.....different knob setup (offset) due to the extra lsc valving (i think).

no harm no foul....bent the compression needle, but i was able to rebuild it to kosher

Last edited:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Also, at least in this country, you cannot get the correct Vivid (need the 'A' tune) for a Sunday..

yes you can....I know of atleast two people running a tunes that were purchased within the states. one of them had linkage issues (installed upside down) which caused the vivid to bottom on the res, breaking the shaft. sram tech at the us open revalved a btune for him on the spot

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Ok, guys....I thought I would be able to finish my build by now, but either I am retarded or something is awry with my frame or something. So heres the scenario, I took the pivot assembly apart in order to get my new shock in and I was getting quite a bit of resistance, so I took it further apart (down to the bearings into the frame) to take a look at whats going on. Apparently I am not getting a flush fitting when two large pivot assemblies are in. It comes to looking like they are offset, which I know is not the case. That being said, I was to further press the bearings to make sure they are not the cause of the problem. I do not own a bearing press, so does anyone have any clever methods to press the two main pivot bearings for the F7 linkage kits.

Any help much be much appreciated. Thanks.
if you have access to a vise, you can rig up a bearing press with a couple of 1/2 inch sockets and an extension, thats how i did mine. also, there are washers that go on the inner part of the main pivots to make flush contact, not sure if this is what you're referring to.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
yes you can....I know of atleast two people running a tunes that were purchased within the states.

If they got ahold of 'A' tune shocks, they were OEM take-offs or some other non-retail source. They have not been avial through any legit sources (QPB, BTI, SRAM). The tune kits (shim stacks) have been made available in the last couple months for cheap , so this would be an option.

Without the newest lower link (or some filing), they will hit no mater the shock orientation.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
If they got ahold of 'A' tune shocks, they were OEM take-offs or some other non-retail source. They have not been avial through any legit sources (QPB, BTI, SRAM). The tune kits (shim stacks) have been made available in the last couple months for cheap , so this would be an option.

Without the newest lower link (or some filing), they will hit no mater the shock orientation.
Not sure where they got them, but one guy has been running it since last season.

Shock orientation wasn't the problem.....new lower link was installed upside down by the lbs, which caused the res to hit a gusset that was supposed to be on the underside of the link

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
how can i get in touch with somebody at Iron Horse?
Carl said a while ago they'll have some rear triangles for the Sunday coming around this date...

or, anybody know where I can get one (used, new)?