Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Speaking of my Ransom, I took it for a ride today on its new very light trail wheelset with Rekon 2.4 Exo tires. It weighed 27.3lbs and rolled noticeably faster than with its usual Aggressor/Assegai DD tires. I was surprised at how well the tires gripped on loose over hardpack. They allowed me to still corner the bike hard enough to have fun. I think this is the best 1-bike-quiver I've ever experienced and that's a real benchmark for the industry. That one bike with two sets of wheels can be genuinely good at everything besides high level XC or DH racing is amazing to me. I really mean "good" too. This is the best or equal to the best enduro bikes I've ridden and I think it gives up nothing to the best trail bikes, while being plusher when wanted.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Is there anyone servicing Formula suspension in the USA yet?
No idea, but if I get it I'll also get a set of chassis seals and rebuild kits for the spring and damper. That's kinda necessary for anything besides Fox or Rockshox. Don't get me wrong. It's a detractor, but not a deal breaker for me. All my bikes have Fox/RS because it's nice to have easy access to parts and familiarity with disassembly, but I'm SICK of creaking crowns on anything over 140mm travel and I swear I feel a difference in stiffness and associated confidence when riding a dual crown. I would have gotten a Bartlett years ago but held off due to the +1lb. With less of a weight hit this fork is a no-brainer for me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Speaking of my Ransom, I took it for a ride today on its new very light trail wheelset with Rekon 2.4 Exo tires. It weighed 27.3lbs and rolled noticeably faster than with its usual Aggressor/Assegai DD tires. I was surprised at how well the tires gripped on loose over hardpack. They allowed me to still corner the bike hard enough to have fun. I think this is the best 1-bike-quiver I've ever experienced and that's a real benchmark for the industry. That one bike with two sets of wheels can be genuinely good at everything besides high level XC or DH racing is amazing to me. I really mean "good" too. This is the best or equal to the best enduro bikes I've ridden and I think it gives up nothing to the best trail bikes, while being plusher when wanted.
I put on a set of recons 2.6 with cush core for a week trip that included grand junction, moab, Sedona, new Mexico. They were great for those zones. Surprisingly so good. A little weak on breaking traction in the loose, but the speed and compliance over rocks was awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Formula is unlikely to get a 20mm axle...
i'm operating under the assumption that the lowers are the same as the single crown selva, which does have a 20mm option. looking at it on their website, it looks like there's a sleeve shim for a 15mm axle, but the lowers itself are for 20mm (similar to how the old 20mm 36's were)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
they're also claiming the production version will be sub 5 lbs. given that the shown prototype is 2.3kg / 5.07 lbs with an uncut steerer, I'd believe it.

(edit: the prototype is already half a pound lighter than a boxxer)

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The one bike quiver is a dangerous game in the current market. Hope you have plenty of spares ;) I agree that the Rekon is quick, though I run the EXO+ variety.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
The one bike quiver is a dangerous game in the current market. Hope you have plenty of spares ;) I agree that the Rekon is quick, though I run the EXO+ variety.
Well, since I'm spoiled I also have a Spark RC XC race bike that these wheels can go on to become a downcountry bike and I have a Gambler for jumping/DH. There's also my Nomad 3 sitting in the shadows as an extra/parts bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
they're also claiming the production version will be sub 5 lbs. given that the shown prototype is 2.3kg / 5.07 lbs with an uncut steerer, I'd believe it.

(edit: the prototype is already half a pound lighter than a boxxer)
Man, the stress risers on those crowns freak me out. I’d take a solid forged crown with no fancy CNC for smooth edges.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd complain about exo+ tires being stock on a bike like that, but I'm sure they had to scrape and scramble to even get those given the current supply chain situation
I was amused by them trying to save a few chain links due to the shortage :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The real question is whether they will be sold in Canadian Costcos...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pulled the rear triangle off of my Ibis. All the bushing pivots were in like new condition. The bearing in the one link that uses them were in good condition, pulled the seals off and added clean grease. Pretty good considering this is the first time the pivots have been touched in 2.5 years.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pulled the rear triangle off of my Ibis. All the bushing pivots were in like new condition. The bearing in the one link that uses them were in good condition, pulled the seals off and added clean grease. Pretty good considering this is the first time the pivots have been touched in 2.5 years.
Good. My old Mojo HD ate through the double-row lower link bearings every 3 months.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good. My old Mojo HD ate through the double-row lower link bearings every 3 months.
All the lower link pivots are bushings now. IMO they should all be bushings with a zerk fitting like old school Turners. I bet a lubricated bushing will always work better than a fried bearing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
All the lower link pivots are bushings now. IMO they should all be bushings with a zerk fitting like old school Turners. I bet a lubricated bushing will always work better than a fried bearing.
Maybe one day we'll see roller bearings in load bearing pivots?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe one day we'll see roller bearings in load bearing pivots?
You would still need a thrust bearing to handle the lateral loads which would create a packaging issues. Really why bushings are superior, can do the job of both in a compact package.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm on the 3rd dwlink since late 2012 on my Burner because the face of the bushing slowly wears away at the alu link as they rotate against one another. Which I can handle from a cost basis as needed maintenence and the part is still available from Turner.

Does the Ibis have similar issues? I thought I'd read somewhere that the shock yoke has a non-replaceable bearing or something and has to be replaced. Not sure what their spare parts availability will be like in 9 years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm on the 3rd dwlink since late 2012 on my Burner because the face of the bushing slowly wears away at the alu link as they rotate against one another. Which I can handle from a cost basis as needed maintenence and the part is still available from Turner.

Does the Ibis have similar issues? I thought I'd read somewhere that the shock yoke has a non-replaceable bearing or something and has to be replaced. Not sure what their spare parts availability will be like in 9 years.

Well I just pulled out the yoke bushings, the replacement swingarm will come with everything so I stripped the broken one for spares. The bike has a 7 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the bushings so I would suspect they have a long term support plan.

I think they try to sell the upper link with the bearings as a complete assembly vs replacing the bearings as they are a press fit. When the time comes I will probably buy a new assembly then cobble up a press to be able to replace the bearings on the original link.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well I just pulled out the yoke bushings, the replacement swingarm will come with everything so I stripped the broken one for spares. The bike has a 7 year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the bushings so I would suspect they have a long term support plan.

I think they try to sell the upper link with the bearings as a complete assembly vs replacing the bearings as they are a press fit. When the time comes I will probably buy a new assembly then cobble up a press to be able to replace the bearings on the original link.
I wasn't sure where they were using bushings, just recalled that one of the parts was sold complete. Where had you got the most wear?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Good to hear, my v2 Ripmo is only about 4 months old, but the pivots have all stayed very quiet so far. Looking forward to the low maintenance schedule on the pivots!