Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wasn't sure where they were using bushings, just recalled that one of the parts was sold complete. Where had you got the most wear?
I'd say whole upper link replacement is probably the right thing to do for a lot of people, press in new ones if you are capable of cobbling up the right tools.

Lower bushings were like new. Upper link bearings weren't great but serviceable, showed signs of water infiltration (I ride in the wet 9 months out of the year). Inner yoke bushings were a little worn, signs of grit inside. Outside yoke bushings like new.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
All the lower link pivots are bushings now. IMO they should all be bushings with a zerk fitting like old school Turners. I bet a lubricated bushing will always work better than a fried bearing.
While I want to agree, every time I was at Interbike I'd stop and chat at the Igus bushing booth. They always insisted that greasing their bushings did nothing positive and attracted and held dirt. I gradually have moved from liberal use of grease, to a light application, to none at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While I want to agree, every time I was at Interbike I'd stop and chat at the Igus bushing booth. They always insisted that greasing their bushings did nothing positive and attracted and held dirt. I gradually have moved from liberal use of grease, to a light application, to none at all.

I can't disagree, Teflon based bushings don't need a lubricant but there is a slight reduction in friction when used with a lubricant. The seals require lubricant and the nice thing about ba zerk fitting bus that it can push out the dirt and contaminants.

If you don't think you need a lubricant try running a fork dry and see how it feels.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fixing a couple spokes and putting a tube in my tire to help seat the bead and leave overnight to press the tape in nice...both of my tubes have holes in them. It's been so long since I've gotten a flat with tubeless that the tubes I have in case I get a flat, have flats.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fixing a couple spokes and putting a tube in my tire to help seat the bead and leave overnight to press the tape in nice...both of my tubes have holes in them. It's been so long since I've gotten a flat with tubeless that the tubes I have in case I get a flat, have flats.

I recently broke a spoke on the I-9 Trail S rear wheel on my hardtail. While replacing the spoke I noticed the rim was in really rough shape. Perhaps the rim is made of some kind of soft cheese but considering the abuse it has taken I am shocked that the fairly lightweight Bontrager XR4 never flatted.

Put a Cushcore in to protect the rim, not the tire.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The 2021/2022 Fox 40 Factory.

Yeah yeah I know...

But I gotta say, this thing out of the box is a beast. Their recommended air pressure is pretty much bang on, as well as their recommended rebound settings. The stock two air spring tokens worked for me too. Maybe because of their revised air spring and maybe because the Grip2 VVC damper works better in a dual crown somehow, I found it easier to setup compared to the Fox 38.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
*sigh*

Of course, turning radius was a large constraint, so the crowns use just one pinch bolt per clamp to minimize any interference in steering.

a lockout switch. Formula chose to add this feature because a 180mm fork has significantly more pedal-bob

Wake me up when the people who ride bikes become the people who design bikes
Yeah, I'm glad someone else is trying to make a dual crown for pedally bikes, but it sure sounds like they have their head up their ass re: some of the details.

And yeah, the new 40 is really fucking good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I actually noticed in a friends photos he posted from a couple of days ago they were maintaining the main trail with the wallrides under the gondola - Alpine? It's been a long time since I was there to remember the names.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Olympics XC course is one of the best XC tracks I've seen. So good.
Such a great example of what bike racing can look like, a technical course with 'big' features and plenty of variety. Finally shows that some xc racers actually have a skillset beyond giant legs and lungs.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Such a great example of what bike racing can look like, a technical course with 'big' features and plenty of variety. Finally shows that some xc racers actually have a skillset beyond giant legs and lungs.
Neff doubling the rollers to carry enough speed into that wet slick rock pinch climb was epic. She basically didn't need to pedal on the rock to get over it at all.

My city just got awarded the 2032 Olympics and they're gonna have to lift their game massively for the MTB tracks. Our XC venues are nowhere near that good. Will be interesting to see what they put on.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm gonna echo the compliments on the 2021 Fox 40, BUT....
Who decided to put 52mm offset crowns on the 29" version? Two years ago everyone agreed 44mm crowns feel better on long travel single crown 29" forks. Can anyone explain the logic in sticking with big offset on a slightly longer travel fork? It sounds like BuckoW might have the 44mm crowns I want when I show up in Champery tomorrow but the rest of you poor saps are stuck riding around with a floppy front end.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wider bars, dual suspension and dropper posts being used for XC is a win in my books. Was a sweet track. There's people who shuttle trails less gnarly than Olympic XC is now.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Who decided to put 52mm offset crowns on the 29" version? Two years ago everyone agreed 44mm crowns feel better on long travel single crown 29" forks. Can anyone explain the logic in sticking with big offset on a slightly longer travel fork? It sounds like BuckoW might have the 44mm crowns I want when I show up in Champery tomorrow but the rest of you poor saps are stuck riding around with a floppy front end.
Hey, Fox wants to sell you a new fork in 2022....with 44 mm crowns. :D

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Mmmm
With a 62-63 head angle 46-48mm might be a better choice to be comparable to a 44mm in the 64-65 head angle range.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mmmm
With a 62-63 head angle 46-48mm might be a better choice to be comparable to a 44mm in the 64-65 head angle range.
If you're comparing trail, sure. But why do you want your DH bike to be the same as a pedally one? There's no reason for a DH bike to compromise for handling at climbing speeds.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are also people who hike, but that doesn't mean a pedal contest with a few more bumps is awesome.

LOL

those are still road bikes

Pedaling to the top of the hardline course would be a good xc climb

I would have thought you would have had at least something good to say about the women's xc race. Yeah, no free ride belts or juggalo jeans, but plenty of ponytails.