Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Finally managed to kill my original x01 11spd cassette. Dont even remember how old, i think at least 5 years. Definitely not sad. I think the wolftooth alu top gear is still good so ill hold on to that. I had a backup to put on the bike, but sure enough, no slipping. Chain about 1/32 stretched.
How many chains have you run with that cassette?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Knolly withdraws lawsuit against Intense, presumably because they might lose their patent and have to pay hundreds of thousands of lawyer fees for Intense:

stolen post:

Intense released a statement following the news that said, "The issue was quickly resolved when Intense submitted prior art, chassis samples and media coverage dating back to the 1990s. Intense has been a leading innovator in both suspension and chassis design for nearly 30 years, and we are happy to have this matter put to rest."
Knolly declined to comment on the matter.
^^THAT'S definitely a really bad look IMO

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/jamessmurthwaite/blog/knolly-withdraws-patent-infringement-suit-against-intense.html
this comment is GOLD

WRCDH (5 hours ago)
Yup! I emailed Intense several prior art pictures (including a mid-90’s Brooklyn Machine Works model) and did a whole PowerPoint dissecting how Knolly’s numerous patent claims, including all of those in their original and continuation patents related to this case, were unenforcible according to that prior art (patents can often be granted even if prior art exists, as examiners can’t find all prior art). I hope it helped Intense, as I didn’t hear back from my contacts there via email — which is typical in a case where electronic “discovery” might be a possible eventuality.

I also called Knolly and told their corporate sales guy that they’d be wasting their time with this case (giving him examples of how their claims were not enforcible and that this case would likely invalidate their entire patent portfolio related to those claims) and that the case would likely expose Knolly to a counter suit and to financial liability for Intense’s legal fees...but the guy I talked to didn’t want to hear it and told me so with a certain exceptionally-rare Canadian smugness in his voice.

LOL, should have not wasted everyone’s time and money, Knolly — including the ludicrous request for a US-based jury trial. The US court system has REAL intellectual property cases to address — not frivolous, greedy, negligent cases like Knolly’s that waste precious time, financial resources, legal resources, and potentially the time of US citizens on trial juries.

Knolly, you’ve lost the respect of many, MANY mountain bikers who won’t ever consider riding one of your bikes now — as I suggested you should consider back then when we talked!
I think this is good, it was a dick move to try and sue Intense for using a design that had been around long before Knolly (seatpost ahead of the BB) and Knolly using the Horst Link during the Spec FSR time was really the pot calling the kettle black. This was a bizarre foray for Knolly, but the outcome is as good as one (consumer) could hope for. Knolly bikes are put together nice, but this was some crazy shit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Well I think Knollys look like pregnant truck stop hookers. Pregnant belly and that linkage looks like a toothless meth smile.

Intense?
Peacocky junk with whack leverage ratios.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
That guy has some serious skills making frames, the finish on that carbon looks better than most other companies out there.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've tried 3/4 a few times thinking they would help protect a bit better, then realized they do fuck-all since they just pull up if you crash or they get snagged by the branch. If I'm concerned about that, I just wear a lightweight long sleeve, and pull it up a bit on my forearms if I get too hot.