Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So you don't like, cool. I, for one, like having options, and am not sure why having options is what's wrong with the industry.
#shortcranksftw
Because the lizards make you buy things. The best bike anyone ever rode was purchased in 2006 but we are all helpless and must buy a new one every year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
6'2" and the DH bike has 165mm cranks.
What am I missing?
possibly some lower center of gravity when dropping an outside crank in a turn and sliding around in a drift, and slightly more leverage pedaling (a huge concern on dh bikes)

other than that, nothing

nothing at all

I started running 170mm cranks on my trail bikes eons ago for no other reason than to have more backup parts and cross compatibility between bikes. Yeah you can notice a difference in leverage pedaling but you can also drop or raise gearing. Honestly that first thing I typed is the biggest difference IMO. We got shit for dirt here so lower COG in turns is a thing. But the idea that 5mm is going to keep you from running into shit while pedaling is asinine. If you're hitting your pedals it's because you lack bike skill and eyesight.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I had a sports doctor that specialized in cycling tell me to run shorter cranks (and widen my q-factor). This was to help wear out other parts of my hips other than the parts giving me trouble.

I was also running my GG Megatrail in SuperG mode which made it very low to the ground. So the shorter cranks helped with pedal strikes. I was stoked. Hips are still shit tho :)

Now if I ride my bike w/ 175 cranks, I'm like these cranks are long!

I'm 6'2" FYI

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have short-ass legs. I went with 165 mm cranks on a prior bike build.

I did not care for that feel at all. Do not like.
I'm quite surprised at that.
I don't have short legs for my height . (5'11" tall 33" inseam) And excluding my BMX the only bike I don't run 165mm cranks on is ironically my lowest (a Capra with 26" wheels) just because the original 170mm cranks still haven't died and the press fit BB shell is a PITA to convert to Shimano 24mm. The biggest benefit of 165s for me is not the extra pedal to ground clearance but is reduced knee pain on my roadbike. 165s just don't hurt my knees. 172.5s do. And the 165s are also far nicer when spinning at higher cadences (like over 120rpm).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What’s wrong with this industry is that you can purchase cranks in a variety of lengths to suit your body size, post-injury range of motion limitations, and riding style.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What’s wrong with this industry is that you can purchase cranks in a variety of lengths to suit your body size, post-injury range of motion limitations, and riding style.
You forgot to add: "when they are in stock".

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have short legs. I'm very comfortable on 160mm cranks, probably could go shorter. My wife has longer legs and prefers 165mm now. She didn't at first.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I hate how you can get shoes in any size other than my size. I've tried bigger and they feel weird, and the smaller ones cause feet pain. Fuck this industry and their stupid options.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Is that really wrong though? Just trading one holding group for another, what was wrong is selling out to the holding groups in the first place.

I guess it's a good way to find out if Pon is actually doing right by SC and Cervelo, or they simply haven't fucked them up yet, because Dorel sure hasn't done anything impressive with either C-dale or GT.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Is that really wrong though? Just trading one holding group for another, what was wrong is selling out to the holding groups in the first place.

I guess it's a good way to find out if Pon is actually doing right by SC and Cervelo, or they simply haven't fucked them up yet, because Dorel sure hasn't done anything impressive with either C-dale or GT.
One word for you: olygopoly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They're pretty fucking awful from an ease of instalation and required fitting and removal tools aspect.
But Hope being Hope you do still get to use a hammer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm thinking higher AS helps significantly keeping the pedals from chipping away on the climbs. I had no problems with the DH trails at whizzler, but then again, they are pretty wide. It's the climbs and places where you can't easily clock your feet, mostly because you have to keep pedaling in these spots.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Really? I thought only DH cranks are commonly available in 165. Until very recently I saw most bikes coming with 175 and I think too many still do. 170 has become much more common but I never see 165 stock (except DH bikes) and rarely see them installed aftermarket on trail bikes. Raceface SixC and maybe NextR are the only cranks I think I've seen with 165 arms and a trail width bottom bracket.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Really? I thought only DH cranks are commonly available in 165. Until very recently I saw most bikes coming with 175 and I think too many still do. 170 has become much more common but I never see 165 stock (except DH bikes) and rarely see them installed aftermarket on trail bikes. Raceface SixC and maybe NextR are the only cranks I think I've seen with 165 arms and a trail width bottom bracket.

165mm is getting more common. Canfield makes 155 an 160mm in trail 73mm sizes.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
XT and XTR are available in 165.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're pretty fucking awful from an ease of instalation and required fitting and removal tools aspect.
But Hope being Hope you do still get to use a hammer.
The newer Evo ones are way more normal, and really nice. The original ones were a pain.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The newer Evo ones are way more normal, and really nice. The original ones were a pain.
Evo are still a pain.
Just in a slightly different way and requiring slightly different but still Hope specific tools.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Evo are still a pain.
Just in a slightly different way and requiring slightly different but still Hope specific tools.
Eh, the chainring tool comes with the cranks, and the one to swap spindles is <$10. And they're very easy to deal with if you have the tools.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
LOL, first everybody get these high POE hubs and then makes the pedaling feel on the cranks soft again by this, OChain and such. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone want to get on my kickstarter for pedal-bashguards? We'll make a small aluminum ring you can put on your pedals, or crank or something, maybe glue it like Pole, and it'll be a bashguard for your pedals.

My previous idea was avacado energy-pouches.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Anyone want to get on my kickstarter for pedal-bashguards? We'll make a small aluminum ring you can put on your pedals, or crank or something, maybe glue it like Pole, and it'll be a bashguard for your pedals.

My previous idea was avacado energy-pouches.
I remember when I was teaching my kids how to ride bikes and I told them 'don't pedal while turning'. it worked.