Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^ouch. but fair.

was thinking how much it must suck (for those who live off continent) to spend all the time & $$ for a 1 round euro trip, do half a dozen practice runs - & not qualify.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
it is titanium. shits expensive.

neko is racing their cranks at the WC fwiw
@Bikael Molton Just adding on to what @jonKranked said, I don't know if it's fair to say they're a form over function brand. They're an actual engineering and manufacturing company based in CA having a bit of fun exploring the mtb side of things. I see their designs as a bit of style/personality for your $500 (or whatever). People seem to be responding positively. I don't see the issue. It's not really for me, but it is definitely more interesting than say XTR or XXwhatever for effectively the same price.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Sure, it's fine: some guys like to spend extra $ on expensive and uncommon products. Bling kits sell like hotcakes.

I'd personally rather see a small brand with in-house engineering and design bring performance (not marketing) innovations to the industry instead of another 1-piece stem and oddball cranks. Those are 2 components on a bike that I consider most-sorted and least in need of R&D.

@Bikael Molton Just adding on to what @jonKranked said, I don't know if it's fair to say they're a form over function brand. They're an actual engineering and manufacturing company based in CA having a bit of fun exploring the mtb side of things. I see their designs as a bit of style/personality for your $500 (or whatever). People seem to be responding positively. I don't see the issue. It's not really for me, but it is definitely more interesting than say XTR or XXwhatever for effectively the same price.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sure, it's fine: some guys like to spend extra $ on expensive and uncommon products. Bling kits sell like hotcakes.

I'd personally rather see a small brand with in-house engineering and design bring performance (not marketing) innovations to the industry instead of another 1-piece stem and oddball cranks. Those are 2 components on a bike that I consider most-sorted and least in need of R&D.
Yeah. I think those are two easy things to dip into when getting started. What in your opinion are areas that could use the said performance innovations? Seems to me the structural parts of the bike are pretty well sorted. I can’t really think of any structural innovation of late. The integrated dropper thing hasn’t appeared to take off. Fabric spokes? … ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah. I think those are two easy things to dip into when getting started. What in your opinion are areas that could use the said performance innovations? Seems to me the structural parts of the bike are pretty well sorted. I can’t really think of any structural innovation of late. The integrated dropper thing hasn’t appeared to take off. Fabric spokes? … ;)
Buy me a set of berd spoked wheels and I'll thoroughly test them :p

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

oneup comes to mind as being a good company in this regard

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pointless bicycle jewelry has and will always be a thing so long as folk continue buying it. I don't see that happening anytime soon and you can't really blame the industry for the stupidity of its customers.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF minimal packaging and online instruction manuals/guides is something RIGHT with the industry.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
TBF minimal packaging and online instruction manuals/guides is something RIGHT with the industry.
minimal packaging i think is absolutely great. What is above comes across as, we just don’t care. The only text on the lbel apart from the model name is “this may be covered by a patent, and the url to their lawyer speak on the matter”. Their online ”manual” for this part is also not very good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FFS!
it's a SPARE plastic ONE bolt top chain guide assembly.

What are you struggling to understand here?

Less packaging also = less cost to the punter

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
FFS!
it's a SPARE plastic ONE bolt top chain guide assembly.

What are you struggling to understand here?

Less packaging also = less cost to the punter
Yeah, that’s what I thought until I tried to put it together. You’re missing the point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You’re missing the point.
I really don't think I am.

for anyone with an ounce of common sense who's owned DH bikes fitting is pretty much self explanatory with no instructions at all.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I really don't think I am.

for anyone with an ounce of common sense who's owned DH bikes fitting is pretty much self explanatory with no instructions at all.
Oh, I forgot. You know it all. Carry on.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seriously?

The guide only has a 2 bolt backplate that attaches to 2 ISCG05 mounts. 2 (optional spacers) and a top guide with fine tuning shims to space it which mounts via ONE bolt to a slider to adjust for chainring height/clearance.

The instructions (on the page i linked to previously) are pretty easy to follow but if you find words hard here's a video with way less of them to worry about

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seriously?

The guide only has a 2 bolt backplate that attaches to 2 ISCG05 mounts. 2 (optional spacers) and a top guide with fine tuning shims to space it which mounts via ONE bolt to a slider to adjust for chainring height/clearance.

The instructions (on the page i linked to previously) are pretty easy to follow but if you find words hard here's a video with way less of them to worry about

The instructions I found when I did this last year were not those from the uk site. They mixed two different products into the same instructions. They were not very clear.

Installed more than one dh chain guide in the past. You come across as a massive ass. Perhaps that’s long been established here and I’m just finding out. Fuck off.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The instructions I found when I did this last year were not those from the uk site. They mixed two different products into the same instructions. They were not very clear.

Installed more than one dh chain guide in the past. You come across as a massive ass. Perhaps that’s long been established here and I’m just finding out. Fuck off.
you've been living in Canada too long Dump!!! So polite and sensitive.* I always assume all Scots have the same attitude and demeanour as Gary... (or so it would seem if one were to learn about Scottish people from their comedians on youtube...)

* if it wasn't obvious, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek here!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Have any of you tried to find a 60mm length stem?

I have. Wasn't easy. Pretty sure I overpaid for something from Thompson that was made in the year 2000. But hey, it is the exact stem I need and stoked on that. We won't talk about their use of 3mm allen bolts...

Anywayz...point being. If I had industry knowledge, I'd come up with ways to create custom products on demand, and that's my "competitive advantage". Not a way to invent the same thing in a different material and be like "look! we make cool shit!"

Kooka (the brand/company) comes to mind, if ya'll remember them as being the "look! we make cool shit!" But it turned out to be actual "shit". I still have a stem from them. It was shit. (Hard to think you could eff up a stem, but they did). It is now a "stand" for my mini mtb bike I bought as a souvenir from Amsterdam in the year 1997(?).

My mini mtb "shrine". Knob Creek photo from Vail condo (that is Vail in the background) during, what I think was the 1999 World Cup? Before the 2001 Worlds. That is what makes it "shrine" significance :)

PXL_20220421_164756541.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I have. Wasn't easy. Pretty sure I overpaid for something from Thompson that was made in the year 2000. But hey, it is the exact stem I need and stoked on that. We won't talk about their use of 3mm allen bolts...

Anywayz...point being. If I had industry knowledge, I'd come up with ways to create custom products on demand, and that's my "competitive advantage". Not a way to invent the same thing in a different material and be like "look! we make cool shit!"

Kooka (the brand/company) comes to mind, if ya'll remember them as being the "look! we make cool shit!" But it turned out to be actual "shit". I still have a stem from them. It was shit. (Hard to think you could eff up a stem, but they did). It is now a "stand" for my mini mtb bike I bought as a souvenir from Amsterdam in the year 1997(?).

My mini mtb "shrine". Knob Creek photo from Vail condo (that is Vail in the background) during, what I think was the 1999 World Cup? Before the 2001 Worlds. That is what makes it "shrine" significance :)

View attachment 175338
someone on a vintage fb page would pay stupid money for that stem nowadays.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Where was this posted before?

I thought it was an actual joke.....

:wtf:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

View attachment 175338
just picked up a 60mm Syntace MegaForce2 a few days ago. no trouble.

though, are you trying to find one in a local shop?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just picked up a 60mm Syntace MegaForce2 a few days ago. no trouble.

though, are you trying to find one in a local shop?
I don't know who kyle is, but if you order it maybe it comes in a drywall boxes taped together with monster stickers?