Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sure looks like. the syntace stuff is pretty readily availabe here in the states. no idea on the newmen.
I remember looking and the newmen was more expensive than the syntace but visibly the same with similar specs. I have no doubt it's marginally better, but probably not 30euro better.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The founder of Newmen is a former partner in Syntace, so same design philosophy. MSRP for the Newmen is € 89 at, Syntace MF2 is € 118, MF3 € 138. Same weight for the length, so pretty easy decision if you are in Yurp.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On the stem? :D
Thats what I thought when I got it, but its not there for the face plate bolts. The steer tube pinch bolts are printed on it..

[edit] ok I knew I saw it printed on the stem, but yeah after assembling, I couldn't find them.

They are printed on the INSIDE of the mount, according to these google photos. Come on, thats a silly spot to put them. Why not list it in the instructions or the product page?

:banghead:

It's the number inside the hex icon.
Not sure if [joking] or thatsthejoke.gif, but that's the step number..

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thats what I thought when I got it, but its not there for the face plate bolts. The steer tube pinch bolts are printed on it..

[edit] ok I knew I saw it printed on the stem, but yeah after assembling, I couldn't find them.

They are printed on the INSIDE of the mount, according to these google photos. Come on, thats a silly spot to put them. Why not list it in the instructions or the product page?

So did you find the actual value for the face plate? I went through this a couple of weeks ago with that very same stem. I wound up tightening the faceplate bolts to 4Nm with my OneUp bar. Didn't slip, so I think I'm ok with that. I guess it doesn't need to excessively tight up there... Also greased the bottom of the bolt heads fwiw.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So did you find the actual value for the face plate? I went through this a couple of weeks ago with that very same stem. I wound up tightening the faceplate bolts to 4Nm with my OneUp bar. Didn't slip, so I think I'm ok with that. I guess it doesn't need to excessively tight up there... Also greased the bottom of the bolt heads fwiw.
Never did find it and I'm not taking the bars off just to look under the cap.

This site has some torque values for it, no idea if they are valid or not, but... https://r2-bike.com/RACE-FACE-Stem-Atlas-35-0

I did them up to 6nm and called it a day. No slippage (aluminum bars).

Wound up ordering one of these...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

It probably doesn't matter if they still have the stupid little serrated bolts, I have no idea why they machine the stem so it looks like the face plate locks to the stem like some of their older ones did but you get a dirty big gap at the top so the fancy machining is a wasted effort.
I thought it was a stupid design so I bought a Profile Helm and I will continue to buy them from now on.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I can’t remember if I read this in this thread or not. Someone was talking about the new 5.10 Prime Blue Freeriders not having as much grip as the old Freeriders. Can confirm. I have 6 rides on a pair of Prime Blues. Never felt near as good as my old Freeriders. To the point where I was going to change the pins in my pedals. Rode tonight with my old ones and the grip is light years better. The new ones are actually pretty terrible.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can’t remember if I read this in this thread or not. Someone was talking about the new 5.10 Prime Blue Freeriders not having as much grip as the old Freeriders. Can confirm. I have 6 rides on a pair of Prime Blues. Never felt near as good as my old Freeriders. To the point where I was going to change the pins in my pedals. Rode tonight with my old ones and the grip is light years better. The new ones are actually pretty terrible.
Ah fuck, just bought a pair. Have not ridden it yet.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have the same experience with blue Freeriders I got a few years back. They just don’t grip as well as my other 5.10s.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Would also agree, the prime blues aren't as good as regular. The pair I've got is getting pretty worn - not helped by melting the back of one drying it by a campfire. Unfortunately, I've got a brand new pair in box, then I'll likely go back to regular Freerider Pro's.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Get some of the new Speshy flat pedal shoes. 4 months on mine now and I don't think I'll go back to FreeRiders for trail riding.
Got the Spesh 2FO DH flats and so far I agree with your assessment. Super sticky, relatively light, good toe box, etc..The only thing I might change is the shank, which is pretty stiff compared to say a 5.10 Freerider Pro - but it is a DH shoe, so its probably par for the course. I've never had any foot fatigue issues no matter how many long days in Whistler I rode, so I would prefer something with a little more flex, but I've only had them a month or so and it seems like they're starting to break in a bit. Plus, they look a lot like Freerider Pros and it doesn't say "Specialized" on it, so I can continue to maintain my "Fuck Specialized" disguise.

Tried on a pair of 2FO Roost shoes, and now that I feel good about the rubber compound, those will probably be my next trail shoe.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Which one, there are 3 flat pedal models on their website, 2FO DH flat, 2FO Roost Canvas or 2FO Roost flat?
I got the 2FO Roost Flats and the grip is properly impressive. I don't just think they match the 5-10, I think they possibly exceed it for grip.

I'm going to try the DH flat next I think. I used to run Impacts for racing and Freeriders for multi-hour trail rides (the Impacts get too warm here in QLD summer), but the 2FO Roost flat has pretty much replaced both. I do wanna see if the DH flat has a stiffer sole to transmit less impact for DH shuttle days and races though.