Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ladies and gentlemen i present to you the e-bike rack complete with on ramp

View attachment 140943
That thing actually makes sense. Have you ever tried to pick up an e bike and put it on a hitch rack? They’re not light.
I bought an e bike for my mother in law that’s 65lbs, and she couldn’t transport it (other than riding it obv) until I got her a moto hitch carrier with a ramp. I was surprised that I couldn’t find an actual bike rack with a ramp. Afterwards, I found the Euro Thule rack that has a ramp, and the above (which also appears to be an EU only product).

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
cannot comprehend the appeal of this format. i'm by no means an ebike evangelist (i've only ridden one once, and have no desire to own one any time soon), but an enduro format makes much better sense. more or less equivalent to a multi stage, self shuttled dh race. compresses the typical (long) enduro day significantly, and still places emphasis on bike handling / dh skills. sounds (sorta/ kinda) fun, actually.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think it was Wyn Masters that entered some e-bike race and put up some helmet footage from it. Was actually pretty rowdy. Like way more tech than I expected and they go bloody fast.

Didn't the moto world federation do an e-bike thingy as well a year or two ago? Kinda shows where they belong IMO.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I guess you can truly create a sport out of anything. But aren't emtbs the antithesis of sport at the higest level?
Sure it's hard to really crank out some emtb riding....but at the highest level (World Cup) you want people powered bikes.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Say that to my face.

I dare you.

I used to pick up bikes that weighed that much all the time. They said words like 'banshee', "nokian", "monster" and "KHS" on them.

I was usually picking them up off someone snoring at the bottom of a small drop, worm hunting in a new mole hole.
Wait I used to do the same. Why do we have to pee in different places?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I guess you can truly create a sport out of anything. But aren't emtbs the antithesis of sport at the higest level?
Sure it's hard to really crank out some emtb riding....but at the highest level (World Cup) you want people powered bikes.
Golly! If I didn't know better it would almost seem like pro racing exists primarily to sell stuff.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That thing actually makes sense. Have you ever tried to pick up an e bike and put it on a hitch rack? They’re not light.
Fair enough for your elderly Mother but just how fucking weak are you?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
cannot comprehend the appeal of this format.
Yeah. Me neither

i'm by no means an ebike evangelist (i've only ridden one once, and have no desire to own one any time soon), but an enduro format makes much better sense. more or less equivalent to a multi stage, self shuttled dh race. compresses the typical (long) enduro day significantly, and still places emphasis on bike handling / dh skills. sounds (sorta/ kinda) fun, actually.
Still makes no sense. The only way it would ever make any sense is if the motors max speed, assist torque, wattage, battery and assistance levels etc. were completely even across the entire field. not the nominal 250W BS in their current ruling
This isn't ever lilkely to happen. Unless spesh were to put on a standard Levo (as it's the biggest selling FS emtb) race. Otherwise it's just a gong show. UCI are pretty experienced at putting those on though.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, curious if there's any mechanical testing in place. not in insurmountable hurdle, as every other motorsport finds ways to keep cheating (somewhat) in check, but certainly a concern.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Gary's right.
The only way to make this a racing format rather than an advertising campaign is if every rider is on the exact same engine set-up, as in certain motorsport categories.

The whole thing reeks of UCI desperately trying to stay ahead of Redbull.

Maybe Redbull will do ebike racing on frozen lakes, but with jousting too. I'd watch that once.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gary's right.
The only way to make this a racing format rather than an advertising campaign is if every rider is on the exact same engine set-up, as in certain motorsport categories.

The whole thing reeks of UCI desperately trying to stay ahead of Redbull.

Maybe Redbull will do ebike racing on frozen lakes, but with jousting too. I'd watch that once.
So it's going to be the nazzcar of bike racing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But really, the only way to go would be a battery-powered rack that automatically lowers your bike to the ground. I should invest in this and Cherry Coke.