Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in this thread, but these damn bike 'reviews' I've seen over the last few years. Stupid buzz words being used that don't mean anything unless you explain them, like "composed".

Or catchy phrases like "makes the brake bumps disappear". Uhhh...sorry but no. Your 150-160mm travel bike you're reviewing can NOT make brake bumps disappear. Full DH bikes can't get brake bumps to disappear!

Or complaining about the brakes or shifter. While it's part of the build kit, it's not like (insert your favourite frame manufacturer) designed and made the brakes or whatever component you're complaining about.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
One of the problems is that there are no good independent news outlets lately. Besides that, who do you trust? The average bike is so good nowadays that it takes a really good rider to tell the difference between a very excellent Kona and a very excellent Transition of the same wheel size and suspension travel.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in this thread, but these damn bike 'reviews' I've seen over the last few years. Stupid buzz words being used that don't mean anything unless you explain them, like "composed".

Or catchy phrases like "makes the brake bumps disappear". Uhhh...sorry but no. Your 150-160mm travel bike you're reviewing can NOT make brake bumps disappear. Full DH bikes can't get brake bumps to disappear!

Or complaining about the brakes or shifter. While it's part of the build kit, it's not like (insert your favourite frame manufacturer) designed and made the brakes or whatever component you're complaining about.
Part of it is also the product descriptions from the brands/manufacturers...

Like the word "custom"...

I was reading the description for one of Srams brakes yesterday and they were boasting about this awesome CUSTOM designed lever Pivot thing. Of course its custom, you designed the damn brake!

Word garbage.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Like the word "custom"...

Word garbage.

Holy shit! I was coming here to post about the word "custom" also, but for a different reason.

If you ordered a frame by Independent Fabrication that you were measured for- it's custom made for your body

If you bought a frame and made it your dream build with specifications as spokes, seatpost clamp, colorways, etc... That nobody else has-
Then consider its a custom (or one off) build.

But I see things for sale on Facebook saying "Stump jumper with custom seat and grips"... What the fuck is "custom" about that? Personalized? Maybe. But that's it.

I saw a Ragley that the guy said has a custom paint job. It's fucking white! It looks like any other bike from 2007.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Holy shit! I was coming here to post about the word "custom" also, but for a different reason.

If you ordered a frame by Independent Fabrication that you were measured for- it's custom made for your body

If you bought a frame and made it your dream build with specifications as spokes, seatpost clamp, colorways, etc... That nobody else has-
Then consider its a custom (or one off) build.

But I see things for sale on Facebook saying "Stump jumper with custom seat and grips"... What the fuck is "custom" about that? Personalized? Maybe. But that's it.

I saw a Ragley that the guy said has a custom paint job. It's fucking white! It looks like any other bike from 2007.
1586188238115.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Welcome to the world of people new to mountainbiking who think throwing a different windsheild wiper on their car is a 'mod'

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Think yourself lucky you haven't yet witnessed the never done mountainbiking but did motorcycling at some point and have now bought themselves an E mountain bike crowd.
They genuinely use the word "mod" to describe fitting different coloured grips to their 7 grand straight off the shelf specialized.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We can thank the world of Harley Davidson for polluting the lexicon with custom meaning swapping out a pointless part from a catalog.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
"flame brake rotors bro"
harley guy really bragged about that to me before...
I had dirty dog rotors that were flames. They were fucking COOL.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It might not beat "custom" but I think I can claim a tie with "limited edition".

Everything is fucking limited edition and your shitty bike part isn't worth more with that moniker.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
The 36 is still adjustable down to 130mm travel.
I'm (was) hoping to pick up a 100mm 831 with 2015-17 pinch 20mm axle for my street bike at some point. My hands can't tolerate a rigid fork any more, and the frame has straight head tube.

I hope I can come up with $ in the next couple months to get an inventory leftover.

0402161812.jpg

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'm (was) hoping to pick up a 100mm 831 with 2015-17 pinch 20mm axle for my street bike at some point. My hands can't tolerate a rigid fork any more, and the frame has straight head tube.

I hope I can come up with $ in the next couple months to get an inventory leftover.

View attachment 143295
to further push it.
Any ol fit rc2 can be shimmed like an 831, just a pile of 15mm shims iirc

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
You can still buy a 10 year old 36 and space it down for cheap as hell.

no red though
to further push it.
Any ol fit rc2 can be shimmed like an 831, just a pile of 15mm shims iirc
Cool. Thanks dudes. Good to know.

A plain black fork will be OK by me, and I got a RC2 cartridge out of my 2015 160mm 36 (though not sure if that fits in an older chassis).

In all honesty, I only ride this bike once every blue moon any more. I'm just a has-been flatland freestyler from the 80s, looking to get a squishy fork to take some sting out of landing 2.5-foot bunnyhops and jumps at the local BMX track, which hopefully would make me ride this bike more.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cool. Thanks dudes. Good to know.

A plain black fork will be OK by me, and I got a RC2 cartridge out of my 2015 160mm 36 (though not sure if that fits in an older chassis).

In all honesty, I only ride this bike once every blue moon any more. I'm just a has-been flatland freestyler from the 80s, looking to get a squishy fork to take some sting out of landing 2.5-foot bunnyhops and jumps at the local BMX track, which hopefully would make me ride this bike more.
Just look for an old ass fox float R

I've been using a 2013 on my dirtjumper for eons. You should have that thing pumped up so high, compression damping is irrelevant.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Old skool 20mm Pike would probably suit your needs well.
There must still be tons of those kicking around in decent condition.
I have 2 here but looking at your big white US spec garage door that's probably not exactly handy for you

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Old skool 20mm Pike would probably suit your needs well.
There must still be tons of those kicking around in decent condition.
I have 2 here but looking at your big white US spec garage door that's probably not exactly handy for you
Yeah, I'm across the pond and the whole continent away from you. But thanks for the offer, and I'll keep keep your suggestion in mind.

I hope you're feeling better.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Manitou Circus seems to be a decent and cheap option. I use a Minute on my pumptrack bike and it is great (and super light).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Would you guys consider this 'wrong'? :twitch:

Brand New DUB interface, completely seized on...Bent two 8mm's, tried 2 sep impact wrenches, breaker bar...Finally had to just drill the damn thing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Would you guys consider this 'wrong'? :twitch:

Brand New DUB interface, completely seized on...Bent two 8mm's, tried 2 sep impact wrenches, breaker bar...Finally had to just drill the damn thing.

Yes! One more reason why Shimano cranks are so much more friendly....