Quantcast

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
Would the f/2.0 lens of the PowerShot G3 or G2 make a vast difference over the PowerShot S45 or S50 in terms of getting decent shutters speeds for hand-held shots in indoor lighting? I trust you guys. :cool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
well, f/2 to f/2.8 is one stop, meaning that you would get twice the shutter speed. so, yes, it would make the difference. this is why i make fun of keith, with his f/3.5-4.5 zoom vs. my f/1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8 primes :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Toshi
well, f/2 to f/2.8 is one stop, meaning that you would get twice the shutter speed. so, yes, it would make the difference. this is why i make fun of keith, with his f/3.5-4.5 zoom vs. my f/1.4, 1.8, 2, 2.8 primes :D
there's also that thing about the size of your...

btw, you in for fells tomorrow?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
there's also that thing about the size of your...

btw, you in for fells tomorrow?
i make fun of keith for _that_, too. :D

sorry, no can do. i'm going to f1boston. oh, but next weekend i want to hit up this "land mine mtn bike classic" race on sunday. gonna ride sport trials methinks. http://www.petewilk.com/2003/03efta2.php

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
new bike photos:

bike maintenance

also of note is that dura-ace chainring bolts _will not_ work on '96 xtr cranks. no matter what the mechanics claim. :mad: so my xc bike is still out of commission. the evil is sporting a flat bar, kinda narrow, too :eek:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
Flat bar on an Evil? Why ever would you do that?
i like low front ends. i ran flat bars on my old trials bikes, why not on the evil? i also plan to drop the z1 down to 80mm if possible. :D

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
Unlike some of your other low-DOF shots, these are just too low! Too low, I say!

*goes and shoots at f/2.8 maximum aperture*

My S45 shoud be here on Monday or Tuesday.:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hehe, congrats/excellent. i do wish i had a closer min. focusing distance on the lens i used (50mm f/1.4), since those pics would be more effective up close and personal, i feel. hmm, maybe a macro is the next lens to add to my bag, or extension tubes, or that 85mm f/1.2 L... :eek: oh, where was i? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
I didn't mean get closer, I meant use a smaller aperture! Borrow your friend's lenses.
hey, you can stop down any lens :p

:D but that would be compromising my artistic vision, which consists largely of blurred background areas apparently

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thought of the day: i have some HOT friends.

url's too long for the img tags apparently. oh well, use your imagination :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fells ride, sunday morning. meet at 9:30 in front of mather, or 10 am at the fells, NOT at sheepfold but rather at the usual parking lot to the left (west) of governor's road on south border road.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
fells ride, sunday morning. meet at 9:30 in front of mather, or 10 am at the fells, NOT at sheepfold but rather at the usual parking lot to the left (west) of governor's road on south border road.
I'll talk to people at work, we'll see.

On another note, I'm going to Killington with a chick I work with on Monday. Got free shop passes. Should be a good time, even if it is a long drive :p.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
awww c'mon. don't make me break out the P-word.
i'm not a pussy! just lazy :D hehe. maybe ace will get those bolts in tomorrow, who knows. otherwise i'm going to the mfa instead

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
how do you link directly to your pics from non-humba galleries? i figured it out for those, but how do you do that for this one, for example?

http://www.phoben.ath.cx/scripts/cgi-bin/binpic.cgi?1326
you'd have to know the actual location and filename of the photo, which generally I don't know off the top of my head because I wrote a script that automatically insterts them in my database. the "binpic" number is the unique ID of the photo in the database, which is how I find them, but for those wyho do not sit at my computer, all of the non-humba photos reside in: www.phoben.com/photos/people_and_places/

or /photos/things

and all the 2003 photos are in a subfolder with that name. The directories are viewable fromm the web if you feel so inclined, and photos are archived in folders by date, year-first.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
I realized that I've been really selfish in the voting aspect of my photo galleries, so I added a little instant gratification. Now each photo window has a little box that tells how many votes a photo has gotten and what percentage of people liked it. If I did it right, it should also change to reflect your votes (assuming you haven't already voted for a pic in the past). pics with no votes start at 50% as a result of a little glitch in the math that the script does, but it seems fair so I left it that way.

check it out:

www.phoben.com/photos for non-biking
www.phoben.com/humba for two-wheeled toys

l008com

Chimp
Aug 10, 2002
Stoneham Mass
Hey toshi do you do any afternoon rides in the fells? None of this 930am stuff, I'm talking 5 in the afternoon, just after waking up :D I'll IM you next time I see you on. We ought to do the white trail, that way I can show off as much as possible. Then there's always the rock circuit trail, if you wanna stop at the hospital on the way home ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by hans2
Hey Toshi, how was Will Farrell's speach at your commencement?
it was ok. some cheap gags (such as dressing up as a sailor and claiming he was trying to find the worcester boat show), but his bush impression was right on. :D

rye pics to come shortly

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
You should throw some Hook Worms on the Imperial for when you go to the Airfield Toshi.
my xc tires are lighter :devil:

anyway, tires are hardly the thing holding me back there. it's all about the confidence, of which i have little

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ahha, this is riding related, right? (the extra short bolts my m950 crank arms require)