Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Cung had no cardio at all. If he kept the flashy techniques and controlled the fight he might have gotten the KO or the decision for that stupid octagon controll.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I didn't get to see the fights, i just had to read about them. Sounds like the fights were all pretty dang good. I watched the Prelims. Those were really good. I'm stoked that Wand won.

I did happen to watch the Bellator fights. Did anybody else see those? HOly hell. That Eddie Alvarez fight was one of the best fights i've ever seen. I haven't seen a fight like that in a really long time. Good lord it was awesome!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Guess I haven't chimed in here for a bit...

Thought the Hendo /Shogun and the Cung/Silva fights we freaking phenominal... some of the best in a long long time. Was happy to see Silva get the win.

Also the TUF Finale was pretty good too... except for the coaches fight. I really hoped Miller would pull something off. But as soon as I saw him all gassed out early in the 2nd I knew it was over. Just another example of how submission skills mean crap if you cant take your opponent down.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
My predictions:

Jones by decision. He's going to have a hard time hitting Machida, but Machida is going to have a hard time getting into striking distance. Should be interesting for sure.
Mir by decision. Boxing match.
Lil Nog by decision. This fight will probably be boring.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Y'all seem to forget Jones has the reach of 2 men.

Machida = 74" reach
Jones = 84.5" reach

Yes, Machida is hard to hit (hardest to hit in MMA, Silva is 2nd), but he only needs 1 clean shot. Shogun hit him, Jones will too.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yes, Machida is hard to hit (hardest to hit in MMA, Silva is 2nd), but he only needs 1 clean shot. Shogun hit him, Jones will too.
Never said Machida would win, just that I don't see it being a one rounder. These two guys are smart and respect each other. The first round will probably pass without much excitement.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
This is Jones' biggest challenge to date. Machida makes for a very slippery moving target and he counters very well. Still I think Jones will win, but by decision because Machida will be running backwards around the ring for 5 rounds.

And remember... Machida has a tall lanky training buddy by the name of Anderson Silva to help him prepare.

Just read above GSP out for 6 months with torn ACL... probably longer to get back to full strength. I wonder if they will crown and interim champ.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is Jones' biggest challenge to date. Machida makes for a very slippery moving target and he counters very well. Still I think Jones will win, but by decision because Machida will be running backwards around the ring for 5 rounds.

And remember... Machida has a tall lanky training buddy by the name of Anderson Silva to help him prepare.

Just read above GSP out for 6 months with torn ACL... probably longer to get back to full strength. I wonder if they will crown and interim champ.
Article said Diaz vs. Condit is for the interim title. The doc working on GSP said he recovers faster than anyone. based on how he trains, I believe it, but he's not getting any younger, either.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Never said Machida would win, just that I don't see it being a one rounder. These two guys are smart and respect each other. The first round will probably pass without much excitement.
I'm quite sure Greg Jackson and him watched the shogun fight 100 times and he will try to punish his body asap. If Shogun could end that fight quick, so can Jones.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Article said Diaz vs. Condit is for the interim title. The doc working on GSP said he recovers faster than anyone. based on how he trains, I believe it, but he's not getting any younger, either.
Didn't read it. I figured it'd be something like that though... now we have to do the "I'm the real champ, no, I'm the real champ" bullsh!t. I just hope GSP comes back strong so he can demolish Diaz... I can't stand the kind of self entitled whiny bullsh!t that he was spewing at the post fight press conf.

Actually I guess I'm getting ahead of myself... I hope Condit whoops his ass.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm quite sure Greg Jackson and him watched the shogun fight 100 times and he will try to punish his body asap. If Shogun could end that fight quick, so can Jones.
And Shogun did it with a foot less reach :rofl:
I think you guys are underestimating the differences between Bones and Shogun. Shogun is a knockout artist, he is famous for putting peoples lights out. He has 15 (if my count is correct) first round stopages, 14 by KO and one by knee bar. Jones has yet to have a first round stoppage against a top tier opponent.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jones only has 14 fights total. Rua is 20-6 and only 3 first round stops in the UFC, Pride is a different animal.

To be honest, I doubt Jones will end it in the first, but i would like to see it.

<edit> Did you watch the Rua vs. Jones fight?

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Jones only has 14 fights total. Rua is 20-6 and only 3 first round stops in the UFC, Pride is a different animal.

To be honest, I doubt Jones will end it in the first, but i would like to see it.

<edit> Did you watch the Rua vs. Jones fight?
Indeed I did.

I thought the fight was similar to Jones other fights against real competition (Jackson, Bonner). Use your athleticism, size and wacky striking in the opening rounds to frustrate and exaust your opponent then start going for the finish in round 3.

Once again I'm not saying Jones isn't the better fighter here, only that I can almost guarantee it won't be a one rounder.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think you guys are underestimating the differences between Bones and Shogun. Shogun is a knockout artist, he is famous for putting peoples lights out. He has 15 (if my count is correct) first round stopages, 14 by KO and one by knee bar. Jones has yet to have a first round stoppage against a top tier opponent.
You forgot one thing - 10 minute first rounds ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would be interested to see what Jones would score on the punching machine Adam Corolla had on his show. I know Chuck Liddell had the highest score for a while with his wicked overhand right. He was like 20 points higher than Sugar Ray. I would bet with Jones's reach he generates some insane power.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not in the first round though!
But he choked the man out standing, that's bad ass. It was a good fight and Machida did much better getting inside than I thought he would. He is so damn fast at closing the gap and he stands out of even jones's crazy reach to start with.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
My predictions:

Jones by decision. He's going to have a hard time hitting Machida, but Machida is going to have a hard time getting into striking distance. Should be interesting for sure.
Mir by decision. Boxing match.
Lil Nog by decision. This fight will probably be boring.
Wow wrong on all counts. Was really impressed with Machida until Jones decided to start wrestling with him, impressive standing guillotine.

Also super impressed with Mir... that was the most badass sub I've ever seen. Word to the wise... If Mir locks you up, just tap.

Also... bye bye Tito.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
But he choked the man out standing, that's bad ass. It was a good fight and Machida did much better getting inside than I thought he would. He is so damn fast at closing the gap and he stands out of even jones's crazy reach to start with.
Yeah, for a second there it looked like Machida had a chance.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also super impressed with Mir... that was the most badass sub I've ever seen. Word to the wise... If Mir locks you up, just tap.

Also... bye bye Tito.
That's 2 breaks for him, too. I thought the Tim Silvia break was nasty, damn.

I for one will not miss poor Tito.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nog got a bit overexcited. If he slowly punched Mir he would have KOd him.

As for Jones Machida showed he can be beat in the standup. The problem is his ground game is better than his standup game. You need someone very active both standing up and on the mat.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Nog got a bit overexcited. If he slowly punched Mir he would have KOd him.

As for Jones Machida showed he can be beat in the standup.
I don't know if I agree with you there. He "might" have won the 1st round but that is far from being beat. Machida is a smart fighter but at some point Jones 124902349420342" reach advantage would have been just as likely to be a factor.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
That's 2 breaks for him, too. I thought the Tim Silvia break was nasty, damn.

I for one will not miss poor Tito.
I remember that Silvia break, was really horrible looking. The nog sub didnt look that nasty but with nog trying to roll out of it and Mir rolling with him... that was just badass.

I wont miss Tito either. Without Chuck around to rain punches down on him Toto isn't any fun to watch.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Jones is an example of MMA's future. With a lot more guys growing up training MMA (standing, ground, kicks, etc), rather than guys who started in one aspect and switched to a more rounded skillset.

Gen1 UFC = back yard brawlers
Gen2 UFC = the Gracie years
Gen3 UFC = wrestlers who can punch
Gen4 UFC = well rounded in all areas

They talked about how many times the 205 title has changed since Chuck lost and most of that is the 205 class keeps getting better. Give Jones another year and if he's still champ after 3 title defenses, put him in the cage with Silva at 205.

<edit> and I can't think of a guy as fast as Machida who can close that reach distance from outside Jones's reach.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm happy to see Mir fighting so well. I thought he was done for after that moto accident.

Dude is a savage. Mad props for that counter to the sit out by Nog.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, I can't wait to see Ubereem bust out the rest of Brock's intestines when he knees him in the gut.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think Jones is an example of MMA's future. With a lot more guys growing up training MMA (standing, ground, kicks, etc), rather than guys who started in one aspect and switched to a more rounded skillset.

Gen1 UFC = back yard brawlers
Gen2 UFC = the Gracie years
Gen3 UFC = wrestlers who can punch
Gen4 UFC = well rounded in all areas

They talked about how many times the 205 title has changed since Chuck lost and most of that is the 205 class keeps getting better. Give Jones another year and if he's still champ after 3 title defenses, put him in the cage with Silva at 205.

<edit> and I can't think of a guy as fast as Machida who can close that reach distance from outside Jones's reach.
But Jones wouldnt be as well rounded if not for that reach. Im not even going close to elbows from guard but with that reach he will not be punished for unconventional moves. Someone smaller would be. Using your logic Semmy Schlit is the start of a new generation of Kickboxers.