Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to agree... why bash GSP for taking it to the ground. GSP is really good on the ground and standing yet Hard is only good standing. Seems like a slam dunk to me. Bravo on GSP for being smart and retaining his belt.
I hadn't actually watched the fight until last night. GSP looked awesome, totally dominated Hardy. If you watch it again, Hardy taps at the beginning of the arm bar, the ref didn't see it and he settled in and hung on after that.

I would have rather seen him end the fight, though. Hardy is a tough dude, but he had little offense and was just scrambling for his life from about a minute in.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Hardy was just trying to survive. He was of no threat to GSP. The only people that might be a threat to him in that weight class now are Koscheck and Paulo Thiago. Only because they both have really good ground skills and really good stand up. But, we've seen what GSP can do to good wrestlers (fitch), BJJ black belts (Serra) and good stand up guys (Hardy, Alves). He just kills them all on the ground. None of them stood a chance.

Brock vs Carwin, I'm hoping for Carwin. That way all of the nut huggin Brock fans will realize that Brock isn't the best in the world at his weight. He's just the guy that came into the sport at the right time and he had the right size to work over a can (Herring), then get beat by a now ragged HW (Mir), only to win against Mir one time. He hasn't fought hardly any MMA fights. He won't know what to do when Carwin throws his lunchbox sized hands at his melon. He'll just crumble up and eat all of his sh!t talkin. Carwin should hit him in the belly and make him sh!t his shorts before he drops him.

Fedor is the best because he hasn't been beaten by anybody in something like 6 years. He might not be the best now, but he's still winning, and he's still got the best record. You can't take that away from him. I've seen Fedor fight since day 1 in PRIDE when he was beating all of the top dogs in the world at their prime.
These days, I'm thinking that Cain can beat Brock. Brock was the biggest boy in the weight class. He had that going for him. Now he's going to be in the most equal fight he'll ever be in. I'm thinking he'll get KTFO, first round. Shane won't waste his time with him.

As far as the Fight night fights go, i just want Gomi to win. I've watched him for a long time in PRIDE too. It probably won't happen because Kflo is lookin way too good lately. But i still want the Jap to win.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With Carwin cutting to 265, I give him a solid shot at Brock. Randy was like 235, not even close to even. I think both Carwin and Cain have what ti takes to beat Brock. It will be interesting how that triangle plays out.

I would like to see Carwin beat Brock, then fight Cain before Brock gets a rematch.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, i think Mir just plays the "patience" card too much with those big boys. He waits for them to get into position so he can react. He should've panicked and GTFO when Brock was on top and when Carwin had him against the fence.
If you watch the fight again, take a look at the size of Carwin's hands compared to Mir's. Insane. 5XL, the only ones bigger than Brocks.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My take on last night's fights:

Main event was really one sided. Every time one of those Japanese guys comes over here they just get schooled. It's hard to watch sometimes.

Another roy Nelson WTF fight. That guy was a punching bag on a stick. Put Roy in a real fight :rolleyes: "Steffan puts me right in the hunt"... the hunt for what? A real fight?

Quarry. That guy is too stiff and slow. Made it easy on his opponent to put him down.

Ross Pearson was Impressive. That dude is going to do well. Fight of the night IMHO.

Oh and I'll make my UFC 112 predictions right now:
BJ/Edgar - Boxing match. BJ By unanimous decision.
Silva/Mala - Mala gets KTFO.
MH/Gracie - MH dominates with takedowns and aggression, wins by decision.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree with all but the last one. I think Matt Hughes is going to get choked out. Granted, I have only seen Gracie fight once, but he comes from a long like of choke artists (and not the bad kind). Hughes has lot a lot of fire in his fights the last few times I've seen him. Unless Gracie is only a name, I don't think he stands a chance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, gracie sounds like he's just a name, but hughes is way past his prime. I think we'll see a lot of what made hughes what he is in that fight...but these younger fighters make him work, that's for sure.

I'd like to see Maia take this one, but it's not going to happen.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
and another pride legend falls. seriously, gomi would get destroyed by bj.
Anybody would get destroyed by BJ. Duh.
Gomi hadn't fought in a long time. He didn't do horrible. But really, having a guy fight his first UFC fight against one of the #1 top contenders...........not easy. Florian can beat anybody in that weight class except for BJ. hahaha. Another PRIDE legend falls. They all fall, it's just a matter of when.

When Anderson falls, are you going to say "another PRIDE legend falls"?

This upcoming TUF series is going to be good. Afroman looked for real. Same with the green hair dude.
Sucked to see the guy from Clearfield Utah get dropped in the second fight. He's in my son's BJJ class.

Roy needs real competition. Struve sucks. Give Roy Gonzaga.

Renzo and Hughes are both way past their prime. But i think Matt will win. His wrestling is going to keep the Gracie from getting in any good sub attempts.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I agree with all but the last one. I think Matt Hughes is going to get choked out. Granted, I have only seen Gracie fight once, but he comes from a long like of choke artists (and not the bad kind). Hughes has lot a lot of fire in his fights the last few times I've seen him. Unless Gracie is only a name, I don't think he stands a chance.
Ever seen Hughes fight the baddest of all the gracies and absolutely dominate him? Maybe I'll get proven wrong, but I think this will be the same deal. The only impressive thing Gracie did in that fight was not get his arm broken.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well his coach translated some stuff right after the match saying Im sorry at least 2 times and saying I dont know what got into me tonight.
My Brazillian Portugese isnt that good but I think I could make out an "Im sorry" from Silva at least once.
And after that he got on his knees for maia, bowing for him. Shouldve shown him some respect during the fight...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My take on last night's fights:

Main event was really one sided. Every time one of those Japanese guys comes over here they just get schooled. It's hard to watch sometimes.

Another roy Nelson WTF fight. That guy was a punching bag on a stick. Put Roy in a real fight :rolleyes: "Steffan puts me right in the hunt"... the hunt for what? A real fight?

Quarry. That guy is too stiff and slow. Made it easy on his opponent to put him down.

Ross Pearson was Impressive. That dude is going to do well. Fight of the night IMHO.

I know this is ancient history, but man, the heavyweight division must be pathetic if no one can take out "Fat Fvck" Nelson.

And I almost feel bad for Silva. I wish someone would challenge him.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Maybe Silva has a heart and is worrying about actually killing a guy. All these dudes are defenseless against blows to the skull. If Silva isn't careful, we could be looking at a real life version of the movie "Thai Fighter".

Anybody here think he couldn't honestly kill one of these idiots with a direct hit? Dude is scary good for some reason.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ouch.

“I’ll answer the questions about what a disgrace the main event was and what an embarrassment it is,” White said almost immediately upon taking the lectern postfight. “I don’t think I’ve ever been more embarrassed in 10 years of being in this business. It’s the first time I’ve ever walked out of a main event.”

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yup. Figured White would be pissed. That bout was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Mind you, the challenger is there to well, challenge the title holder. That likely should have involved some attacking at some point.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yup. Figured White would be pissed. That bout was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Mind you, the challenger is there to well, challenge the title holder. That likely should have involved some attacking at some point.
There have been a lot of those style title fights, though. IMO, the tie goes to the title holder, so if you are the challenger, the burden of proof is on you to take said title from him.

That being said, Silva has the skills to end it in the first 2 rounds, tops. Unless both fighters have skillz that match well, title fights should not go to judges unless both fighters (think TUF 1 final) have left EVERYTHING in the cage.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Just watched the first 2 1/2 rounds...

Dude...I'm pissed at Maia. You go through all the training and all the lower fights and all the hype and you just blow like that??!?!?!!!???

Damn straight the burden of proof is on him. Silva clowning him like that was embarrassing...all that Ali sticking the chin out bs should've shown him that he needed to get his head in the game. If you're not even going to try in 25 minutes (I'm guessing the last 12:30 was more of the first 12:30) just f*cking forfeit.

Seriously. Just. F*cking. Forfeit.

GSP/Silva at 170 is going to be epic.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Just because hes titel holder doesnt mean he can dance around for 25minutes waiting for the bell to ring.
Everytime Maia attacked, Silva just ran away, you can not fight someone who is running away from you.
I think Maia did the right thing, getting mad and going in swinging would have left his guard open and Silva would have KHTFO.
Dean gave Silva a warning in the 5th round, I think he should have done that in the 3rd and he could have given another in the 4th and or 5th forcing Silva to fight in stead of dance and run.

Ive trained Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing so I know (or at least should know :D) a little bit of how things work, and this is some serious lack of respect shown by Silva...

I hope GSP can take him to the ground and break his arm off cause if he couldnt beat Hardy standing up he sure as hell cant beat Silva.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Whatever happened to Silva going to 205? I know White had said he would do it since nobody at 185 was worth the time. Silva dropping to 170 would be a pretty big cut for him. Not saying he couldn't do it, but he is big compared to GSP.

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
That tony vs. kimbo vid on like the first page..i havent watched it yet..i dont really want to..but i know kimbo would get rocked...i mean i have no disrespect for kimbo..his street fights are badass..but when it comes to MMA..he honestly sucks ass at fighting..hes a good fighter against regluar ppl off the street..but when he gets in the ring against other ppl who know how to fight..he sucks...When he was on ultimate fighter..it was just an imbarrasment

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That tony vs. kimbo vid on like the first page..i havent watched it yet..i dont really want to..but i know kimbo would get rocked...i mean i have no disrespect for kimbo..his street fights are badass..but when it comes to MMA..he honestly sucks ass at fighting..hes a good fighter against regluar ppl off the street..but when he gets in the ring against other ppl who know how to fight..he sucks...When he was on ultimate fighter..it was just an imbarrasment
I have a soft spot for Kimbo.

He might just be a brawler, but he does hark back to the good ole days of MMA.

And he seems like a decent dude who just got caught up in all the hype.

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
I have a soft spot for Kimbo.

He might just be a brawler, but he does hark back to the good ole days of MMA.

And he seems like a decent dude who just got caught up in all the hype.
I got mad respect for that dude..hes just a strait up badass..but he honestly sucks in the ring..

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
There was an interesting article on foxsports (I believe) about the pitfalls of a GSP-Silva fight. Basically it boiled down to "Silva fighting at 170 = BAD!! GSP fighting at 185 = GOOD!!!"

After the guy broke it down, that sounds like the best possible solution and hopefully, with Dana all twitterpated about Silva disrespectin' everyone, the solution that gets used.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still haven't watched the whole thing. I made it to the start of the Huges vs. Gracie fight. I'll finish watching tonight. Knowing it's 5 rounds of Silva clowning, I may not even make it that far.

Seeing Grove get the beat down was pretty good, though.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I still haven't watched the whole thing. I made it to the start of the Huges vs. Gracie fight. I'll finish watching tonight. Knowing it's 5 rounds of Silva clowning, I may not even make it that far.

Seeing Grove get the beat down was pretty good, though.
I knew it was going to be sad going in. I made it to mid round 3. From the still pics I saw of later rounds, the only thing to watch (or worth watching) is how much blood Maia loses through the gash on the bridge of his nose.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still want to see (even though I know it won't happen) Machida vs. Silva at 205. Machida vs. Shogun 2 should be a great fight, though. I can bet Shogun doesn't let it go the distance this time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn.

Anderson Silva's got his next opponent. UFC president Dana White announced on ESPN's "Rome is Burning" that Silva will defend his UFC middleweight title this summer against Chael Sonnen. White dropped a real bombshell when he said Silva could fired or cut from the promotion if he doesn't give his all in his fight with Sonnen.
West Linn Oregon's own, see what he can do against Silva. Dana said he doesn't care what Silva is, if he doesn't fight, he's done in the UFC.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hope Silva knocks him out in 15 seconds.
Otherwise, he will have to meet The Donald in the boardroom.

I think Sonnen has a shot, but I also thought Forest could last more than 2 minutes and I was very wrong on that one. Silva has the skills, maybe he's bored?

Silva vs. Vetor could be a good one, too. If Silva crushes Sonnen, then I think Vetor would be next. Unless GSP puts on a few more pounds, I don't know that Silva can cut to 170 to make that fight happen. But they could do another non-title catch weight fight at like 180.